Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: All Good Things...  (Read 6999 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
All Good Things...
« on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:52 pm »
+2

Of course the title of this post is intended as a reference to the saying which ends '...come to an end.' Indeed, this aphorism is a false one.

I have a degree in Physics. I don't have a full time job. I love crunching numbers. I have a background in chess. My real passion - well, of the things that will get discussion here, as my REAL passions are my faith, and people - is philosophy, and particularly ethics, bout which I am writing a treatise in my spare time.

I have been an extremely active member of the community, and so you may be wondering why after like 3000 posts, and almost two full months of logged-in time, I am posting an introduction. Well, it's largely a farewell. Not that I will leave entirely - or, this is not my intent anyway. But I may not post at all for long stretches and certainly will be much much less active. There are a number of reasons for this decision: the apparent increase in unreasonableness of the so-called community, it's growingly inhospitable nature, a large number of disagreements with a large number of people on a large number of topics.
Moreover, though, there are simply far more important things for me to be doing, and for me to be spending my time on. This thing is just very low on my priority list, so it is the thing that gets the cut. Especially as it's a big time-sink. If you want to reach me, there's my youtube channel. And you can e-mail me at wanderingwinder AT yahoo DOT com. Please don't flood with spam.

Fare well, readers.

These Are The Voyages...

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Re: All Good Things...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:33 pm »

Seriously guys, what going on!?
I'm happy to be part of this community, because I had the impression that everyone is kind and very respectful. I can't understand all the hate which is going on.
The community seems to split apart in two halfs, the Pro- and Contra-PointCounter parts. That's really sad.

I was kind of expecting that. I'm respecting that, but that's really sad. Good wishes to you and may you find more gratification in whatever you'll spend your time more now.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 03:15:56 pm »
+1

Say hi to Guided up there in F.DS heaven.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:19:01 pm »

Oh no :(

Also, that post title was scary!

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:28:20 pm »
+2

Alas!  It's not going to be the same around here without you, and all your immense contributions to the community. 

I can't blame you- I've been thinking about/trying to cut back myself, just because it is such a huge time sink and there are so many other things to do (such as, um, finding a job).  Add in all the recent ridiculousness you've been subjected to, and I can see why the decision is so clear.

Best of luck with everything- we'll miss you.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:46 pm »
+1

It's the natural way of life.

I'm sure that I will be posting less and less with the coming baby and I guess everyone makes the same realizations after game 9999: It's still a game.

I'm proud I finally cracked the level 40 mark and can leave the community with my head held high if I ever go as I've achieved pretty much what I set out to do.

You will be missed, WW, good luck in all your future endeavors. :D

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 04:17:04 pm »

It's something we did wrong?  I can promise to stop arguing with anyone ever.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 04:35:36 pm »
+1

Wrong things were done, but as long as he's leaving because playing dominion online is a time sink, then that's a reasonable reason.  Personally - I'd rather he retired after we analyze the remaining sets - because I do think there will come a point at which barring future expansions - further dominion learning will cease - at which point I'll want to find better ways to waste time.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

GigaKnight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »
+1

That's sad.  :(  And it's especially unfortunate that disagreement is any part of the reason.

Frankly, I've been astounded at the amount of time you've sunk into this game and community.  I hope you know how appreciated it's been.  At the very least, I hope you'll continue to post the matches you play on YouTube; I really enjoy those.

BTW, nice TNG reference :)

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:39 pm »

*weep*
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 02:21:23 am »
+1

To the extent that you are leaving, goodbye and good luck. I hope you stick around, though. There will still be so many new facets to the greatest game in the world, and it would be a shame not having you there to discuss!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:22:35 am »

Wrong things were done, but as long as he's leaving because playing dominion online is a time sink, then that's a reasonable reason.  Personally - I'd rather he retired after we analyze the remaining sets - because I do think there will come a point at which barring future expansions - further dominion learning will cease - at which point I'll want to find better ways to waste time.
Maybe the next Dominion?

It's inevitable that some games will come out that are Dominion 1.5.
The question then becomes: Do we stay loyal or do we all hop on the next big thing bandwagon? :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:14 am »
+3

Maybe the next Dominion?

It's inevitable that some games will come out that are Dominion 1.5.
The question then becomes: Do we stay loyal or do we all hop on the next big thing bandwagon? :)

There's no benefit to remaining loyal if D1.5 is better than D1.  DX already has my money.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 02:04:32 pm »
+2

Say hi to Guided up there in F.DS heaven.

Don't forget about MMM. Also, Qvist has shown us that resurrections are possible, so hopefully WW will come back in 6 months, employed and posting better than ever!

It's been great having you around, WW, I must say. You'll be missed for sure.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »
+6

Back baby?

Well, I won't be around *as* much (lots of life changes while I've been gone, lots less free time), and there are parts of the board I am screening (sorry, all you fan cards peeps!). But I should be around from time to time.

So anyway, what's happened in the last few months? Goko... something? they're out of beta now? But isotropic is still up? Can I trust them at all security-wise? (This is my big question about them).

And there's a wiki now? Tell me about this.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:08 pm »
+2

Dude just go check the FAQ. (inb4 greatexpectations)

Just kidding. Not much has changed. Goko still is dropping the ball, Iso still obviously can't have DA. The wiki is cool, but needs work. Right now, it's mostly gruntwork, filling in card pages and such. Forum games are oh so popular. Mafia, Diplomacy, Pandemic, Gauntlet of Fools, and others are all being played. We need you for your Dominion discussion.

Oh and there might be another DS Championships, but I believe jonts and greatexpectations are running that show for the most part.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:07 pm »
+2

Back baby?

Well, I won't be around *as* much (lots of life changes while I've been gone, lots less free time), and there are parts of the board I am screening (sorry, all you fan cards peeps!). But I should be around from time to time.

So anyway, what's happened in the last few months? Goko... something? they're out of beta now? But isotropic is still up? Can I trust them at all security-wise? (This is my big question about them).

Welcome back to the Forum Mafia Strategy Forum! We are now playing Gauntlet of Fools, Cosmic Encounter, and Diplomacy, as well.

... in other news, Goko is still horrible, Dark Ages exists (but not for me), and Scout is the best card in the game.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »

Good to have you back!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 03:31:26 pm »

and Scout is the best card in the game.

I thought you had moved on to Adventurer.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 04:22:14 pm »
+2

Back baby?

Hey, nice to hear from you. I will watch your new videos soon.
Goko are still in beta, but in Open Beta. So isotropic is still up. The security issues that were known are fixed now AFAIK. But there are still a lot of gameplay bugs which keeps me away from playing there so far although they released all Dark Ages Cards so far.

Yeah, there's a wiki now. I felt there's now a real need for that because it was harder and harder to find some infos and most of the articles were really outdated. Go to http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com Feel free to contribute.

And, yeah, as said above, the 2012 F.DS Championships will start soon. I hope you take part and upload tournament videos.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »
+1

Can I trust them at all security-wise? (This is my big question about them).

As much as you can trust anybody in security that had a history of not seeming to care, but has firewalls and stuff.  And picked up another don'ttrusttheclientbug.

No security bugs known afaik, but the ownes that are known are usually not the ones I am afraid of.

Welcome back...

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 04:45:47 pm »

Dude just go check the FAQ. (inb4 greatexpectations)

haha yessss.

Oh and there might be another DS Championships, but I believe jonts and greatexpectations are running that show for the most part.

it's still theory's baby, me and jonts are just helping out with some of the logistics and legwork. i'd expect information on that front in the next day or two. we've got things worked out for the moment, but theory didn't want to compete with any holiday plans people had.

as for the wiki, we've developed a pretty solid infrastructure so far. we have at least a basic page for each card, with about half having strategy articles and that sort of discussion. we basically have a real broad coverage at the moment, we just lack some depth. recently there has been a bit of a push to add card combo pages, and we just recently dealt with the spamming issues. i think theory was going to advertise the wiki via the blog sometime soon.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.