Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A Brief Note on Point Counters  (Read 6210 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
A Brief Note on Point Counters
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:49 am »
+5

Future IsoDom tournaments, should they happen, will officially bar use of DrHeld's point counter by all players.  Use of the addon for tournament games, or refusal to turn the addon off, will be grounds for disqualification.

Specifics:

1.  This includes matches between two players both using the addon, though I'll admit this is difficult to control.  At least such a game is equal.
2.  It does not matter if the point counter is set such that it can be disabled.
3.  A screenshot showing the counter addon in use by the other player at the start of the first game shall be sufficient to disqualify the user.  However, goodwill dictates that you assume the addon user simply forgot to turn it off, and the non-user is expected to request it be fully turned off, and start a second game.  The user will be expected to resign from that first, erroneous game, so as not to adversely affect the rating of the non-user.
4.  I won't change the rules mid-tournament for obvious reasons; this will only apply to future tournaments.

Edit: 5 is gone.

Edit:  If the card counter is broken at some point in the future, all of the above will be rescinded, for what I feel are obvious reasons.  I think it's necessary to clarify, though.  As IsoDom originally was MMM's, he'll be given authority to use or not use these rules as he wishes.

You have been warned.  Don't like it?  Run your own tournament.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 08:26:17 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: A Brief Note on Point Counters
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:25:49 am »

Edit: 5.  People known on the forum to advocate widespread use of the point counter are banned from all future IsoDom tournaments.
Does this mean I'm banned?

Edit: I respect the effort you put into organizing this tournament, but I'm disappointed you're basically banning people for thoughtcrime. I mean, come on.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:29:23 am by blueblimp »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:32:14 am »

Does this mean I'm banned?

Yes.  Obviously only from future tournaments.

Edit: I respect the effort you put into organizing this tournament, but I'm disappointed you're basically banning people for thoughtcrime. I mean, come on.

If at some point the card counter addon gets broken, I'll unban people; I'll note that above.  Until then:

Don't like it?  Run your own tournament.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 01:33:54 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 01:42:58 am »

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 02:30:05 am »

Kirian, I just want some clarifications here.

So blueblimp is banned. Is there anything he could do, like deleting his posts and not commenting on the topic further, to get unbanned?

Am I banned? I have commented on the topic, and wish to comment more, but will surely stop if it means I have the potential to be banned. Your tournaments are great. I would not like to jeopardize my ability to participate.

I guess I feel like I am being threatened from speaking my mind, but maybe this is best done as a PM. Still, these questions are ones that should probably be answered for the community so others are aware of what will constitute a ban.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:56:16 am »
+1

Point 5 is just ridiculous.

I don't see why you should be banned if you advocated the use of point counters and agree to not use them in tournaments.
I mean, I'm all for point counters, but if the tourney rules specify that we can't use them, I won't.
Heck, I haven't even used the point counter extension ever, only the Iso version.

I think you're making too big a deal out of this and should do a reality check on yourself.

Also, who is judging who advocates the point counter extension? I don't think a jury of my peers will come together to discuss it.
What constitutes as advocating? If someone says "I don't care", is that advocating because he's not openly condemning it?

But don't worry, I will withhold from participating in any such tournaments led by dictators.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:09:09 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:32:56 am »
+1

Some people do want to participate in your tournaments and are thus unlikely to argue for point counters now that they will be banned. Thus what you have effectively done is to censor comments arguing for point counters. I am no psychologist, but this may backfire...
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1975.tb00678.x/abstract

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 03:36:08 am »

Moreover, he's a moderator on this forum, so he can bloody well censor our posts.
I only hope some people got to read them before they were erased.  ::)

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 03:39:36 am »

I trust that Kirian will not go and delete comments that disagree with his viewpoint. I may not agree with him, but I doubt he is tyrannical in any way at all.

Just a reminder that Isodom belongs to MMM. I greatly appreciate Kirian stepping in and running the majority of the Isodom challenge and setting up the Swiss Isodom (aka Isodom 3). However, will this be enforced if MMM comes back? Maybe there should be a clause allowing it to belong to MMM if he comes back and that he can institute any rules that he sees fit?

Still waiting for response on my first comment, though.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 03:47:39 am »

I wanted to express that I have no ill-gotten feelings toward Kirian whatsoever and my earlier comments may seem a bit harsh, I apologize for that.

It's just that I don't understand his reasoning and really think he is overreacting way too much.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 04:29:41 am »
+4

I'm quite sure that when having a discussion about point counters, exluding the ones that don't agree with you from your tournaments is pretty much a variant of a discussion...

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 04:55:55 am »
+1

5 is absurd.

PerdHapley

• Thief
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:14 am »

yeah, 5 needs to go - I share your viewpoint on the extension itself, but I certainly trust players like blueblimp regardless, and if they agree to just play without it they should absolutely be allowed to do so.

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:33 am »

well, people could just open new accounts under aliases

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 08:28:05 am »
+4

OK, I've reconsidered.  5 is gone; I'd prefer not to chill speech.  More later.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:27:19 am »

FWIW, the next One Day Cup, which I plan on doing the week after the Swiss portion of this tourney ends (so, the 28th, I think), will also ban the point counter. Even as someone who uses it, the fact that it has caused as much feverish debate as it has and that no reasonable common ground can be met is a reason to ban it.

I don't feel as strongly as Kirian does, so I won't be disqualifying people for using it or anything like that. I just don't want this debate in any tournaments I end up setting up, so I'm just telling people now that they shouldn't expect any future tournaments held round these parts with the unofficial point counter (unless someone sets up their own).
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »

3.  A screenshot showing the counter addon in use by the other player at the start of the first game shall be sufficient to disqualify the user.  However, goodwill dictates that you assume the addon user simply forgot to turn it off, and the non-user is expected to request it be fully turned off, and start a second game.  The user will be expected to resign from that first, erroneous game, so as not to adversely affect the rating of the non-user.
Wouldn't it be sufficient to just type "!disable"?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.