Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governor vs Vineyards  (Read 1087 times)

meow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
Governor vs Vineyards
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »

I thought this was a potentially really interesting setup:
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/02/game-20120702-143657-978bda0c.html

The 12 chosen cards are Caravan, Develop, Festival, Governor, Margrave, Minion, Pearl Diver, Royal Seal, Spy, Swindler, Village, and Vineyard.
SpaceSquirrel vetoes Swindler.
Hampuse1 vetoes Margrave.
(SpaceSquirrel's first hand: 2 Estates and 3 Coppers.)
(Hampuse1's first hand: 3 Estates and 2 Coppers.)

I opt for a fairly formulaic Governor approach with Caravans to help with drawing.  At first I don't fully understand his strategy with no many Festivals and am don't notice a couple of his Pearl Diver buys.  His real plan with Vineyards doesn't occur to me until he buys his 1st potion on turn 11.

I managed to win on turn 17 despite being stuck with a Duchy on turn 16 ($7 hand with no Governor / draw). 

I remodeled an Estate into a Potion on turn 12 because I was afraid his strategy might be appreciably better than mine and wanted to deny him some Vineyards.  Now I'm thinking that may have been a mistake.  Sticking to my guns by gaining a gold and buying a province may be better.

Any opinions on whether the Vineyards approach "should" have a shot here?

meow @ f.ds & BSW
SpaceSquirrel @ IsoTropic

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Governor vs Vineyards
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »

In general, to go Vineyards you need to know that your opponent will stall if they go for Provinces alone.  With Governor that's unlikely to be the case, so going for Vineyards here is a big risk.

That said, there's a lot of support for Vineyards.  Your opponent didn't buy any Develops, and if they had then they could have ramped up to a situation where they're gaining several Action cards (possibly developing the Silvers you provide into Caravan/Pearl Diver) and buying multiple Vineyards each turn. 

The Vineyards game could have been played better, but so too could the Governor: The Develop opening is slow, and the weak trashing isn't doing a lot for you.  Either Silver/Silver or Silver/Caravan would get you to Governors sooner, which is key if that's the route you take.

I don't think I have a good sense of what should win here, although the Develop/Vineyards would certainly be more fun to play. :)  Good set.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:48 pm »

The vineyard guy generally wants 0 provinces. Dont know if that one was a mistake or not, I dont know how to read logs :/

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »

I suspect that for vineyards you need a mix of minions and governors so that you can draw cards, play a village and develop some stuff, discard for a new hand with a minion, and repeat. This yet another of those kingdoms though where the governor opens up a great many options for play and it is difficult to predict what would happen in any particular game.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 08:12:51 pm »

I don't expect Vineyard to do too well against a deck that has more Governors than you. The guy with all the Governors isn't going to stall, really, in his race for Provinces.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 20 queries.