Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: printing custom cards  (Read 4762 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
printing custom cards
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:44:36 pm »

My apologies if this is a taboo topic.  For the record, I do not wish to manufacture any Dominion fan cards to sell or even to give away, just to play with my own sets.  (On an old BGG forum, I found where Donald had said he didn't have any problem with this.)

I've been trying to find a custom card-printing outfit that will support Dominion's 59mm x 91mm card size, so I can get some of my custom card ideas printed up.  The closest I've found is 60mm x 89mm, which I fear is not going to be quite good enough.  I was reading archives of BGG where people were trying to do this and not having much luck, but the threads were years old.  So I was wondering/hoping that in the meantime some print-on-demand service had started doing this.  Anybody know?

If not, has anybody tried mixing cards of other close-but-not-quite sizes in with a Dominion deck?  How does such a deck handle?

Thanks.

play2draw

Re: printing custom cards
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 06:33:45 pm »

Well... a cheaper, easier, and less legally ambiguous way of using fan expansion cards, with a higher guarantee of success, is to sleeve all of your cards. If you want to try out some new cards, sleeve the blank cards, print out the new card, and stick the piece of paper in front of the blank. I haven't played with fan cards, but if I did this is how I would go about it. Plus, your regular Dominion set will still look pristine after hundreds of plays! My poor, decrepit stack of Laboratories wishes I had done this.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 06:42:52 pm »

Sleeves feel wrong to me.  Considering how many Dominion cards there are now, I'm not sure they are cheaper and easier, either.  It would certainly work if printing just isn't possible, but I'd really rather have the cards.

play2draw

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 08:46:09 pm »

The other problem with printing is that there will probably be a number of tiny differences that will make them distinguishable from the "real" cards. Will the paper quality or thickness differ? Will there be a glossy finish on the cards that will make them feel different? Some of these issues, one might assume, can be easily ignored. However, people have a very strong sense of relative touch. Probably, if you look and hold the personally printed cards by themselves, you won't see any difference... but when shuffled together with the "real" cards, the differences would be glaringly obvious. They may not shuffle together correctly, or you'll be able to tell that a certain card is the "fake" just by minor sensations.

It's like picking up a stack of 100 sheets of paper. While you likely could not accurately count the number of pages in the stack just by holding it between your fingers for a moment... if you compared it to a stack of 105 pages, the difference would very easily be felt.

That's the other reason why I'd go sleeves.

/former printer

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:37:58 pm »

There are people who don't have their Dominion sets sleeved?  Crazy talk.  Go with sleeves.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:11 am »

Sleeves feel wrong to me.  Considering how many Dominion cards there are now, I'm not sure they are cheaper and easier, either.  It would certainly work if printing just isn't possible, but I'd really rather have the cards.
There are people who don't have their Dominion sets sleeved?  Crazy talk.  Go with sleeves.

I don't have mine sleeved.  Call me crazy, but I kinda like how my set is worn.  It makes me feel like a true, veteran game night host.  And it's not like I can't go out and buy another one if I really wanted to. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Arya Stark

• Navigator
  • the things i do for dominion.....
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:39:07 am »

I have all the sets and none of them are sleeved, I have a hard time shuffling when they are sleeved at the tourneys  ::)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 20 queries.