Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Author Topic: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenges #3 and #4!  (Read 62916 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Part 2!
« Reply #150 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:26 pm »

Adventurer greens more easily.

Not really. Once you get a handful of provinces, just start naming estate and province. And if you have even weak trashing you can get rid of estates so you can still skip over coppers.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 19, 2012, 02:32:42 pm »

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 19, 2012, 02:34:49 pm »
+1

I gave +2 to Harbor and Forum. But still congrats to the winners.

Now this challenge is over, I would say I kinda regret the trashing option, maybe would it make it too strong when comparing to library, yeah because I think even without, the discard+draw part is above library ? Risk of drawing dead actions still exists, of course !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 19, 2012, 02:42:24 pm »

So, it's time I started talking about Mystic (Lion). It got a point from someone that wasn't me!

It was ultimately, submitted in the wrong contest. I should have submitted it in the curser contest, but I missed it and was past deadline when I saw it. I wanted to submit another card here, but too often it doesn't actually increase your handsize by three. Hopefully I've have a contest that one fits in later. So here, I submitted the only other card from my fan set that fit here.

So a few things. Firstly, I designed this card months ago. And I've played it. And it's much weaker than the other cursing attacks currently at $5, but with the somewhat recent addition of +buy, it's still a power $5. Probably a bit weaker than Torturer. It wasn't supposed to be a copy of the cursing contest winner, it doesn't even seem like it'd play anything like it, just, it has a mat and gives out curses. But somehow people thought it was a copy ???. I guess the similarity and the fact it looks like it's primarily a curser put people off, most likely.

It's a fun card, I find, one of my favourite cursers, because it's difficult to actually run as a curser. It takes three plays to throw curses into your opponents decks. Well after three plays of a $5 card, even if you pick up multiples and don't collide, you're comfortably into the midgame, and by that point sure, your opponent has two curses, but they've built their deck up pretty well before that (well, they've had the chance). And that I feel makes it very interesting to play.

I voted for Okapi, and I'm glad to see it win. It seems like generally a very interesting card. Congratulations to andwilk for it.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 19, 2012, 03:37:49 pm »
+1

I think Mystic Lion is an excellent name for a cursing attack.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2012, 07:20:53 pm »

Congratulations to the winners!

My thought behind Master was to recreate the play I really like from Pawn. You can either go for guaranteed +$1, or you can hope to draw a good card. So I stuck it onto a terminal draw card. 4 cards/3 cards +$1 seemed too good at $5, so I bumped it up to $6 and added +Buy accordingly. I still like it for it's simplicity, but it might be a bit too simple.

There weren't really any other attempts to merge +Cards and +$, but most of the versions of those cards have already been done to death in other threads, so it's understandable.

I really liked it and gave it +2, but I was afraid others would see it as "too simple." I was hoping it would place better, too. I think that there is still some space left for interesting simple cards. But, I haven't read many older forum threads, so I have not been over-exposed to these types of cards, yet.

I gave +2 to Harbor...

Thanks!

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:46 pm »
+1

Congrats andwilk - I gave you a vote and am happy to see you won!

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2012, 08:29:20 pm »

By the way, now that there's a subforum for this, I think it would be great if each challenge's cards had their own thread. This way, once the cards are revealed and voting commences, there's a thread for discussions about the cards, etc.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 19, 2012, 08:30:15 pm »

I'm surprised mine did so well compared to Raiders/Hyena, since they're so similar.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:32 pm »

By the way, now that there's a subforum for this, I think it would be great if each challenge's cards had their own thread. This way, once the cards are revealed and voting commences, there's a thread for discussions about the cards, etc.

That's a good idea.  I'll do this starting with the next pair of Challenges, which I'll announce Monday.

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2012, 09:58:32 pm »

That's a good idea.  I'll do this starting with the next pair of Challenges, which I'll announce Monday.

Still not too late for the voting for challenges 5 and 6!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-Set Design Contest, Challenges #3 and #4!
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2012, 12:22:24 am »

Thank you to everyone who voted for Rear Admiral/Lemur. I was surprised it got any votes considering its $4 cost (which I very quickly realised was too low). The "bottom of the deck" mechanic is definitely not a gimmick though; it's a mechanic that changes in nature as the game progresses. Early game it's quite similar to top decking. In the last reshuffle it's going to be the same as discarding. The most interesting is in the middle, when it will be like discarding but with an eerie sense of deja vu (for the opponent) and a bizarre slowness (for you). I guess this card will generate a lot of AP, since you don't want to fill the bottom of your deck with junk and have a dead hand (or do you?). Would it need to be buffed to be competitive with other $5 attacks?

I hope to use more bottom of the deck mechanics in the future (eg sinking treasures, seemingly overpowered cards that miss reshuffles, semi reliable gainers, a pseudo "mat"). I think there's a whole expansions worth.

Adrienaline

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2012, 01:20:31 am »

Wow, I thought Lady/Kudu was overpowered compared with library, because of the innate ability to skip past the Estates and always have at least a 7 value hand. Go figure I'd mess up on the mechanics for my own card...

I guess I was completely wrong. Quite happy with 7 points for a vanilla library variant.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2012, 03:15:31 am »

If you only buy money, it's strictly superior to Adventurer, right?  Because you just always name Estate and Copper, take in your terminal $4-$6 and move on?
(The above quote is about the winner, Gatherer.)

I went through the same thought process pricing Raiders/Hyena.  At $5 it's a better Adventurer and an easy pick in BM games when you can't afford Gold.  Unfortunately, at $6 it's too expensive to easily pick up if you're building an engine.  Increasing the number of cards you can look at helps a bit, but people seem to prefer the cheaper variants on the theme.

zahlman

• Minion
  • Respect: +216
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:43 am »

Not really. Once you get a handful of provinces, just start naming estate and province. And if you have even weak trashing you can get rid of estates so you can still skip over coppers.

If you have weak trashing, you have cards that enabled the weak trashing that also need to be skipped over (since even if they have +actions, you'd generally be drawing them dead).

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2012, 11:26:56 am »

I hope to use more bottom of the deck mechanics in the future (eg sinking treasures, seemingly overpowered cards that miss reshuffles, semi reliable gainers, a pseudo "mat"). I think there's a whole expansions worth.

I'm also intrigued by manipulation of the bottom of the deck, mostly because sticking a bad card there will often cause it to miss the shuffle.  But that's a pretty subtle thing, so it's probably hard to make a card that uses it in a way that feels significant.  Pearl Diver is, after all, a pretty notoriously weak card, even for being a cantrip.  But I think it's cool to experiment with ideas like that; good job.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »

Wow!  I was hoping to perform better in round 4 since my first 3 cards were duds (all ranked in the 20s), but was surprised and happy to see my card place first.  I'm really enjoying this contest so far and wanted to give a big thanks to rinkworks for running it.  Congrats to the winners so far and good luck to everyone the rest of the way!!  ;D

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2012, 01:27:32 pm »

Does Tea House only take effect when bought, not when gained? That's how the text appears, just wanted to make sure it's correct.

rinkworks

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #168 on: September 05, 2012, 02:22:39 pm »

Does Tea House only take effect when bought, not when gained? That's how the text appears, just wanted to make sure it's correct.

Yes.  I can't remember now if there was a particular reason, though.

One Armed Man

• Tactician
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:39 pm »

Looking back at the fan cards threads, my submission District was already posted elsewhere by jimjam as Stockpile in his Battlegrounds fan expansion. Sorry jimjam, I hadn't read your thread before now.

Edit: the same thing applies to Base Camp by DWetzel. It was posted by jimjam as Strategic Position.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:40:26 pm by One Armed Man »

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2012, 01:05:00 am »

Nor had I.  I should go look at it, it sounds brilliant!   8)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.