Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28  All

Author Topic: Drinking  (Read 189484 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking
« Reply #625 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:06 am »
+1

If I wanted to try a smokey whiskey (probably not super expensive since I don't know if I'd like it) what would you recommend?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 10, 2015, 08:59:50 am »

What are good not-smokey scotches?  Like far away from smokey.
what did you end up buying? Did you enjoy it? The suspense may just drive me to alcoholism!

Nothing yet!  I don't drink enough~

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:25 am »

If I wanted to try a smokey whiskey (probably not super expensive since I don't know if I'd like it) what would you recommend?
the best modestly priced smokey scotch I've had was johnny walker double black label. Its around $50 (this is obviously dependant on where you live). Now the thing is, it's not nearly as good as Laphroaig quarter cask, which is around $65, so if you get to a store and see they're similarly priced, or you want to spend the extra money, get the quarter cask. Lagavulin 16 is even more expensive, but that's another thing to buy if the store is giving a disounted price (which happens pretty often with lagavulin 16 actually). I've heard great things about caol isla, but I've never tried it myself.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 11, 2015, 08:08:36 am »

I've only seen the Johnny Walker double black and the Lagavulin where I shop.  I've been tempted, but nearly $100 is a little much to spend on something I might not like...

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 11, 2015, 12:36:46 pm »

You could order a glass in a bar to see if you like it? It's bad value if you buy a whole bottle's worth in a bar, but if you just want to see if you like something before you invest a much larger amount of money it's much more worthwhile.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 11, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »

True.  I should probably do that...

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 11, 2015, 03:10:56 pm »

I've only seen the Johnny Walker double black and the Lagavulin where I shop.  I've been tempted, but nearly $100 is a little much to spend on something I might not like...
the double black is nearly $100?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:58 pm »

no, the Lagavulin is

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 11, 2015, 08:36:34 pm »

no, the Lagavulin is
aha. Is there a talisker that is reasonably priced at your store? I'm not the hugest fan of talisker, but it is sort of intermediately smokey so that might be a better first time buy. Also talisker storm is probably a lot cheaper than lagavulin, but still probably around $60.
It's a shame there's no really affordable smokey scotch out there that is top notch.( It's not the same with non-smokey scotch.) Who knows how many potential smokey scotch fans never saw that potential because they (prudently) weren't open to the rather large investment that the hobby requires. It's really almost rant-worthy.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 11, 2015, 11:00:25 pm »

I guess I should also ask then what affordable non-smokey scotch there is.  I haven't tried many because well, scotch doesn't fit very well into a college student's budget.  I've had a glass of Macallan 12 though and that was amazing, so I'm also thinking of getting that when my current bottle runs out...

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 11, 2015, 11:29:25 pm »

I guess I should also ask then what affordable non-smokey scotch there is.  I haven't tried many because well, scotch doesn't fit very well into a college student's budget.  I've had a glass of Macallan 12 though and that was amazing, so I'm also thinking of getting that when my current bottle runs out...
ive mentioned it before, but Glengoyne 12 usually runs about $35-$40 and is quite good. Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and Bunnahabhain all make similarly priced single malts that in my opinion aren't quite as good, but they're each different and you might like one of those better. Glengoyne also makes a 10 year old which is pretty good, but I'd shell out the extra $10 for the 12 year old. A little bit up the price range is Macallan, as you mentioned, but the 12 is probably around $65?  Something I don't hear a lot about is the Aberlour 12 but that is amazing, also around $60.

If you're looking for something blended, then monkey shoulder is a nice option for $30. Here I actually prefer johnny walker black, because it has just a little bit of smoke, although not enough to be considered really smokey.

Something I really like, and I think is comparable to scotch, is Bastille french blended whiskey. It's got a very light fruity flavor and goes for around $30. It's more and more becoming my go-to whiskey.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 12, 2015, 02:06:15 am »

Hmmm. Bump.

Anyone enjoy a nice smoky scotch? Lagavulin, or Ardbeg, perchance?

How about a Laphroaig?
love laphroaig, though ive only had the quarter cask. I think there's a laphroaig 10 in the house somwhere, I'll probably be opening it soon.
found this laphroaig. It is actually a 10 year old cask strength.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 12, 2015, 03:43:36 pm »

ive mentioned it before, but Glengoyne 12 usually runs about $35-$40 and is quite good. Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, and Bunnahabhain all make similarly priced single malts that in my opinion aren't quite as good, but they're each different and you might like one of those better. Glengoyne also makes a 10 year old which is pretty good, but I'd shell out the extra $10 for the 12 year old. A little bit up the price range is Macallan, as you mentioned, but the 12 is probably around $65?  Something I don't hear a lot about is the Aberlour 12 but that is amazing, also around $60.

If you're looking for something blended, then monkey shoulder is a nice option for $30. Here I actually prefer johnny walker black, because it has just a little bit of smoke, although not enough to be considered really smokey.

Something I really like, and I think is comparable to scotch, is Bastille french blended whiskey. It's got a very light fruity flavor and goes for around $30. It's more and more becoming my go-to whiskey.
I recently finished my first bottle of Monkey Shoulders, and it was very drinkable.  I paid around $30.  It's obviously a blend, but a well crafted one.  It comes with a bonus - an extremely interesting nose, remarkably fruity for a scotch.  It has absolutely no fruit on the palate (thank goodness, IMO), but it is a nice add-on.

I've had Bastille, which was at that time marketed as French bourbon (a misnomer in its own right), not whiskey.  I found it quite foul, but again, I was misled from the beginning, and was expecting bourbon.  The casks it is finished in show their presence  in the nose, on the palate, and throughout the finish.  I took my bottle back for a refund.  YMMV.

After you've tried various Islay scotches to explore the smoke factor, try a glass of Ardbeg 10 year.  Not overly expensive, and quite nice, if you like peat.

One final recommendation:  a Highland single malt from Tomatin.  Around $26 a bottle where I am.  Very very good value, no peat (it's a highland, after all).
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 12, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »

I recently finished my first bottle of Monkey Shoulders, and it was very drinkable.  I paid around $30.  It's obviously a blend, but a well crafted one.  It comes with a bonus - an extremely interesting nose, remarkably fruity for a scotch.  It has absolutely no fruit on the palate (thank goodness, IMO), but it is a nice add-on.

I've had Bastille, which was at that time marketed as French bourbon (a misnomer in its own right), not whiskey.  I found it quite foul, but again, I was misled from the beginning, and was expecting bourbon.  The casks it is finished in show their presence  in the nose, on the palate, and throughout the finish.  I took my bottle back for a refund.  YMMV.

After you've tried various Islay scotches to explore the smoke factor, try a glass of Ardbeg 10 year.  Not overly expensive, and quite nice, if you like peat.

One final recommendation:  a Highland single malt from Tomatin.  Around $26 a bottle where I am.  Very very good value, no peat (it's a highland, after all).
Really? I thought Bastille was great. It's obviously not at all similar to bourbon, and also probably not legally allowed to be called bourbon, so I don't know why they'd do that, (and I would never even consider buying anything as grossly mislabled as "french bourbon",) but it to me had a very unique but pleasnt flavor. You mention you don't like fruit on the palate. That could account for our difference in tastes here.

I was thinking about recommending Ardbeg 10, but it's just so harshly smokey that I decided it would be a bad idea for someone new to smokey scotch. (Personally, I think it's pretty good.) Have you had Uigeadail or Corryvrekan? Those are really fantastic.

I've heard good things about Tomatin, but never tried it.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 12, 2015, 10:57:35 pm »

Just made myself a singapore sling. Really interesting. A bit too pineapply. I might try to tinker around with it, maybe add some cranberry, maybe.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 13, 2015, 12:18:17 pm »

Just made myself a singapore sling. Really interesting. A bit too pineapply. I might try to tinker around with it, maybe add some cranberry, maybe.

Looks too fruity to me. I like my cocktails to taste like booze. Give me a Manhattan or a Negroni any day.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 13, 2015, 01:58:37 pm »

Looks too fruity to me. I like my cocktails to taste like booze. Give me a Manhattan or a Negroni any day.
when I'm in the mood of tasting booze, there's really nothing that I prefer to straight whiskey (well, sometimes I like to have a rusty nail, but that's rare). I tried a Manhattan once, and was wishing I drank the rye straight. When I make a cocktail, it's because I want to try something fruitier. Mojitos are my favorite.
But I think Benedictine, Cointreau, and Cherry Heering are three of the absolute best liqueurs I've had, and I'm determined to make something out of some combination of them that doesn't surrender its taste to pineapple juice.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 15, 2015, 06:52:16 pm »

The store I went to didn't have Glengoyle, so I picked up Glen Garioch 12 (was around $55).  They did have Balvenie, but the 12 (at around $80 or $90) and the 15 (at around $130).  Not sure if they are as good as the suggested one, and seemed a bit too expensive.

I'll try a taste of the Glen Garioch later.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 15, 2015, 07:00:25 pm »

What's the difference between Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskey? I had been told they were different (regional) names for the same thing.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:28 am »

The store I went to didn't have Glengoyle, so I picked up Glen Garioch 12 (was around $55).  They did have Balvenie, but the 12 (at around $80 or $90) and the 15 (at around $130).  Not sure if they are as good as the suggested one, and seemed a bit too expensive.

I'll try a taste of the Glen Garioch later.
glengoyne not glengoyle.
And so those are awful prices :-\, like, Manhattan prices or something.
I've never had Glen Garioch.
The Balvenie 12 is good but not worth that amount of money. The 15 I've never had.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 16, 2015, 02:52:52 am »
+2

What's the difference between Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskey? I had been told they were different (regional) names for the same thing.
whiskey is a general term for grain alcohol that is aged in wooden barrels. The term means different things in different countries. In America, whiskey must be aged for at least 2 years. In Scotland, I believe it's 3, but don't know. Whiskey can come from any country.

Bourbon is whiskey that uses at least 51% corn in its recipe. The other 49% can be any other grain. Bourbon is usually sweeter than other whiskey on account of the corn. Bourbon also has to be distilled and aged in America, in barrels that have never been used before to age anything. Kentucky straight bourbon is bourbon aged in Kentucky. Tennessee straight bourbon is aged in Tennessee, and so on.

Scotch whisky (I dropped the "e" on purpose; that's how it's spelled) can be of any grain and must be distilled and aged in Scotland. It can be aged in barrels that were already used to age things, so there are a lot of bourbon cask or sherry cask scotches, because it's cheaper to buy barrels off the bourbon distilleries than to make their own. A lot of times, scotches from different distilleries and using different grains are blended together. Something like that would be called a blended scotch whisky eg. Chivas Regal, Johnnie Walkers red, black, double black, gold, blue. The more fancy pants scotch is stuff that comes from one distillery, and comes from 100% malted barley. That's called single malt scotch whisky eg. Glenlivet, Maccalan, Ardbeg. There's also stuff that's 100% malted barley, but is a blend of products from different distilleries. That's called a blended malt eg. Monkey Shoulder, Johnnie Walker Green Label.

A whiskey does not need to have an age statement, but if there is an age statement, it must be the age of the youngest thing in the bottle.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:05:26 am by skip wooznum »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 16, 2015, 11:24:08 am »

I almost resurrected this thread this weekend!

Tonight I made myself a White Russian. Made it a BIT strong.
while you were drinking it, did two guys (one named woo) break into your house, pee on your rug, stick your head down the toilet and ask you where the money was? Or are white russians the absolutel only thing you have in common with the dude?

The only OTHER thing I have in common with the dude is that I have not seen The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers, 1998).
+1
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 16, 2015, 11:26:53 am »

while you were drinking it, did two guys (one named woo) break into your house, pee on your rug, stick your head down the toilet and ask you where the money was? Or are white russians the absolutel only thing you have in common with the dude?

The only OTHER thing I have in common with the dude is that I have not seen The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers, 1998).
+1
are you +1ing that you haven't seen The Big Lebowski? Because that's not something to be proud of. :P

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 16, 2015, 11:29:28 am »

+1
are you +1ing that you haven't seen The Big Lebowski? Because that's not something to be proud of. :P
No, I'm +1ing because of a reference to The Big Lebowski.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:37 am »

Oh
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.