Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28  All

Author Topic: Drinking  (Read 189511 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking
« Reply #175 on: October 31, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »

-snip-
As a human being, do you find yourself accused of drinking too much? Well, "accuse" is a strong word, but I guess "called out" might be appropriate.

My co-workers at lunch have expressed an interest in drinking. Knowing they weren't drinkers, I brought Mike's Hard Lemonade and Miller Lite. I introduced a form of carbomb. This gets interesting looks from other people in the cafeteria, and one woman that we know even looked at the strange way we were holding our carbombs in hand and said, "You guys drink too much for lunch."

Sadly, this isn't the first time I've heard such a thing. I have a hobby that depresses my mind. I love drinking tactically. I love drowning problems. When I relax, I'm usually doing nothing.

Even among my beer-drinking lunch crowd, I'll hear someone say, "Count me out for this one. I'm not in the mood to drink." I always found that statement weird.

I mean, I'll sometimes not be in the mood for a jello shot, but I would always say, "I'm not in the mood for a jello shot," instead of "I'm not in the mood to drink." I'm always in the mood to drink.

I guess I'm an oddball in that I don't consider drinking to be a bad thing. I suspect there are a lot of you who feel the same way.
+10,000.  This was made so much the better because I came directly from the "thinking too much" thread, and didn't catch the mirror, despite the "snip".  However, I did immediately want to PM you to see where you worked, so I could apply.  Drinking in the cafeteria.  Well-played sir!
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2012, 06:43:07 pm »
+2

Rekorderlig for the win.

Any rum is also nice =D i love sweets

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2012, 09:31:28 pm »

What's your favorite rum?  I'm looking for something relatively complex, that can be sipped, like fine cognac or bourbon.
Posting begets posting.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2012, 10:46:00 pm »

I love Seven Fathoms Rum, but the only place I've ever bought it is in the Cayman Islands.  That may be the only place it's sold, in fact.

Flor De Caņa is also delicious, and much more available.  I couldn't find a local liqour store who had the 7 year, so I asked if they could order it for me, and they did.  Pretty slick.  The 7 year is most excellent (Gran Reserve).  5 year seems pretty common, but basically it's just expensive Captain Morgan in my opinion.  Never tried the 12 year but someday soonish that'll happen.

But the 7 year Caņa is definitely something worth sipping.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »

Turns out my new job is down with beer in the office on Friday afternoons. #hitthejackpot
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 02, 2012, 06:39:06 pm »
+1

Submitted a paper today and got a celebratory bottle of Oak Cross Scotch. I have to say I rather enjoy it.

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:01 pm »

Mmm, had me some Lagunitas Brown Shugga' tonight, and I must say, it was quite delicious. I actually didn't think I would like it as much, so was pleasantly surprised. You really could taste the sweetness, but it wasn't at all overwhelming.

Sadly, I didn't bother checking the ABV until after three glasses, when I looked it up on my mobile, and found it carried a heavy 9.99% percent.

Needless to say, I'm a little tipsy now.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 02, 2012, 10:55:07 pm »

Turns out my new job is down with beer in the office on Friday afternoons. #hitthejackpot
I was a manager at a startup once where my boss's brother owned a small winery.  His boss, the owner of the company, enjoyed beer.  Every day (unfortunately that meant 7 days a week for a while) at precisely 5:00, one of those two would walk around and ask anyone still in the building whether they wanted beer or wine.  There was of course a dedicated refrigerator.  We did some serious brainstorming into the evening hours, while getting progressively more tipsy.  I learned a LOT about wine that year.
Posting begets posting.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 24, 2012, 07:39:09 pm »

Two recommendations on bourbon, for less than $20 a bottle:  W.L. Weller Special Reserve (90 proof), and Watkins (80 proof).  Also bought a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select 18-year old today, but haven't tried it yet.
Posting begets posting.

Toolshed113

• Scout
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2012, 11:22:06 am »

What's your favorite rum?  I'm looking for something relatively complex, that can be sipped, like fine cognac or bourbon.

For general purpose drinking, the Kraken has grown on me quite a bit. It's by far the best spiced rum I've had and it's pretty cheap too. It's the only spiced rum that I've been able to enjoy on the rocks. Appleton Estate Reserve makes a really nice smooth daquiri (and no, not the stupid girly frozen ones, just simple syrup and lime). Gosling's Black Seal is great with ginger beer if you can find some near you.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2012, 02:11:57 am »

Had a very good dessert beer that tasted kind of like a mounds with dark chocolate.  Custom beers are pretty cool.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2012, 08:27:21 pm »

I wanted to announce here that I'll be drunk, but I've forgot.

I am drunk, there was a trivia "quiz" which involed, among other things, drinking large amount of alcohol. We won, and we also won all alcohol games (by far, in both).

AMA.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2012, 08:35:22 pm »
+2

I won a pub quiz once.  It went like this:

I was the one nominated from my team to go up for the final question.  I was against one other guy; we each had to write down our answer.  Closest answer wins.

The question was: "What is the worldwide box office gross of Ghostbusters?"

My thought process: "Well, the Dark Knight made $1 billion, right?  And Ghostbusters is popular too.  So I'll guess $700 million."

Announcer: "Well, actually, the right answer is $291 million..."

Me: "Crap!!"

Announcer: "But you win, because [the other guy] guessed $750 million!"

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 13, 2012, 05:41:58 am »

Other countries have Pub Quizzes too? Sweet!

I Love pub quizzes more than drinking!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2012, 09:25:09 am »
+1

I won a pub quiz once.  It went like this:

I was the one nominated from my team to go up for the final question.  I was against one other guy; we each had to write down our answer.  Closest answer wins.

The question was: "What is the worldwide box office gross of Ghostbusters?"

My thought process: "Well, the Dark Knight made $1 billion, right?  And Ghostbusters is popular too.  So I'll guess $700 million."

Announcer: "Well, actually, the right answer is $291 million..."

Me: "Crap!!"

Announcer: "But you win, because [the other guy] guessed $750 million!"

Ghostbusters released in 1984; Dark Knight in 2008. That's a 24 year span that basically starts at the late stages of an up hill climb into an economic peak and ends at an economic valley. A gallon of gas was roughly $1.20 in 1984 (when I started driving a decade later it was more like $0.89).
For demonstration purposes I will use a present day $/gal of $3.45.
Based on this price per gallon metric we can use an adjustment of .348 which would have given you a decent guess at  $287.35M.

Proof that critical thinking skills scale inversely proportional to alcohol intake.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 14, 2012, 09:35:22 am »

Have you been to a lot of pub quizzes, pps?
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 14, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »

Have you been to a lot of pub quizzes, pps?

No, why?

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2012, 10:02:15 am »

Just your reply ... I go to the pub quiz by Harvard and no one there would do that much math at a pub quiz ;)

Of course, maybe I should try one by MIT.

He/him

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2012, 10:16:32 am »

Is drinking a prerequisite for pub quiz participation? If not, maybe I have a money making scheme in mind. :)

It wasn't that much math and in reality could be computed in the same amount of time it would take the average drunk guy to throw out a gut feeling guess. Ghostbusters = mid eighties = gas $1.00. Dark Knight = 2010 = gas 3X that much. 1B/3 = 300M.

The real caveat is most quizzes I've witnessed have lots of sports related questions which I would get absolutely creamed on.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #194 on: December 15, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »

To prevent cheating in the age of smartphones, pub quizzes have lately taken to be more "identify the movie based in this picture" and "identify this song being played over our ultra crappy speakers for 0.5 seconds at 10% volume".

Sadly this means that the kind of pub quiz in which I excel (knowledge of a lot of miscellaneous facts) is no longer in vogue.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 15, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »

To prevent cheating in the age of smartphones, pub quizzes have lately taken to be more "identify the movie based in this picture" and "identify this song being played over our ultra crappy speakers for 0.5 seconds at 10% volume".

Sadly this means that the kind of pub quiz in which I excel (knowledge of a lot of miscellaneous facts) is no longer in vogue.

Yeah, this irritates me a bit. I love bar trivia and feel like I'm pretty good at it, but I refuse to cheat and have no idea how I'd do if every other team played honestly. Still sometimes manage to steal a win every now and then though.

I've also gotten annoyed that the bar I usually play at recently switched from Stump! to Geeks Who Drink which is a far inferior game imho. Though you can win free beers on bonus rounds at the latter which somewhat balances it.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 15, 2012, 04:42:18 pm »

Ok, this wasn't exactly a "pub quiz", it was a competition that was held at the bar, we had to be teams of 3, had to have costumes on, during qualifiactions and finals it was only 3 teams at the stage at the same time so there was no chance of cell-phone communication. Games were - drinking shots, drinking wine, guess movie/song, trivia and a group act, among other things.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 15, 2012, 04:57:05 pm »

Pubs just dont ban the use of smart phones and mark answers at the end of each round over there?

Sure, you'll get the odd person who rushes off to the toilet, but they are usually not the ones that win anyway in my experience...

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 15, 2012, 04:57:47 pm »

Hang on, why are all you excellent pub quizzers not helping out on my treasure hunt...?

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »

What treasure hunt?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.