Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Two Double-Tac games  (Read 1589 times)

manda2014

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
Two Double-Tac games
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:54:30 am »

So yesterday I played this game:

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120627-232020-02dfe9d5.html

and realized really early on that this would be a really great double-tac board. I ended up losing right at the very end. I think maybe it was a mistake to buy the penultimate province, even though I was ahead, because that let my opponent buy the last one and a duchy to win.

Aaaaaaaanyway, after that game, I wanted to try the same strategy again, so I required HP, Spice Merchant, Lighthouse, and Tactician and started a new game.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120627-233829-39539c7f.html

I got the strategy off to a really quick start, and my opponent didn't seem to have much of a strategy at all, and yet he still won. Does Caravan/Lighthouse/Money really have an advantage over Lighthouse/HP/Double-Tac? Or was that just a fluke? I think maybe I should have bought a couple more Lighthouses and ignored the Spice Merchant, but other than that I'm reaaaally not sure how Lighthouse/HP/Double-Tac doesn't have a clear advantage on this board.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: Two Double-Tac games
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 01:19:18 am »
+1

To be honest I think lighthouse just won't be strong enough to warrant double tactician, even with hunting parties to pull them into your hand.  I might be wrong here.

I think the mistake in the second game is buying a second tactician too early.  Notice at that point you only have 2 lighthouses and a spice merchant as non-money $$.  Then again you also had some bad lucky drawing your tacticians in the second game.

And yes you definitely want the spice merchant.  If you ever use it for +buy you replace the opportunity cost of missing a lighthouse.  Also, you're not going to have enough draw if you don't trash some coppers, even with hunting parties.  And play your spice merchant for +actions on turn 10 in the second game, just for the trashing.

manda2014

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 01:25:42 am »

Yeah I remember thinking right after I bought the second tac in game #2 that that was a mistake. I just figured it would be one I could recover from relatively easily :/

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:52:08 am »

I think you'd have better luck in that first kingdom with an oasis-menagerie double tactician setup. I tested the strategy in a solo game, and with play that was probably less than optimal (for one, I was consistently hitting $9 per turn) I got 4 provinces in 13 turns, all 8 by turn 19.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/28/game-20120628-233422-217b617a.html

Also, silk roads might be key on that board considering nobles are also in play. The double tac setup I demonstrated should handle the addition of nobles and silk roads reasonably well.

In the second game, well, BM + embassy beats loan/caravan 80-15 according to the simulator.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 02:57:14 am by iangoth »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:00:57 am »

Double tactician is often too slow to set up and you need a very big payoff, perhaps through victory chip scoring or attack cards. It takes too many turns to control your deck and gain 8$ income from action cards and buy two tacticians and get it started and maintain it as the deck clogs with provinces. This would be my impression of the second game. For the first game however you get a nice entry with tactician/lighthouse and as Iangoth said, this will run ok if you use oasis to draw through the deck.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 11:42:37 am »

To be a little polemical, I think double tactician is overrated. Even with good helpers, it's not going to beat hunting party + strong terminal, for instance, as far as the second board is concerned. I'd be most tempted to go double tactician with something like conspirator or grand market around, or, of course, black market. Even then, I'd like something like colony (or maybe fairgrounds) to compensate for the slow setup.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 20 queries.