Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What don't you like about Dominion's art etc.  (Read 5479 times)

Cataphract

• Coppersmith
  • Owner and webmaster of SleeveDominion.com
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • Quality card sleeves for Dominion
What don't you like about Dominion's art etc.
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:15:31 pm »

Imagine you had the power to change the art etc. of Dominion. This is not a rant or something, but just some points that would make this great game (visually) look even greater. What would you change?

I would change the the artwork of the backs of the cards into something better/more professional looking. e.g. Get rid of the light blue background, get rid of the letter font used for the logo "Dominion" and use a proper, clear and nice looking "medieval" font with a nice 'wooden' frame around it. I also would change the box artwork , the manual (color especially) and presentation of the rules, which are quite confusing, while the rules are actually so simple.

Basically my main artist would be Michael Menzel... let him do all the art, front/back, box etc etc.

Like I said, just some thoughts :)

Yours?
PROTECTIVE CARD SLEEVES FOR DOMINION - best prices! Worldwide Shipping included. Visit www.SleeveDominion.com today!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: What don't you like about Dominion's art etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:43 am »
+1

Some of the cartoon art (i.e. Shanty Town) could be changed. As for the backs, I think light blue is fine... and the font is awesome... but I would also change the box artwork. Other than that, the artwork is really good.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 05:16:56 am »
+3

I would make Stash, instead of special back, double-fronted (stash picture both sides!).

dor

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:59:18 am »
+1

Some of the cartoon art (i.e. Shanty Town) could be changed.

I second that. Shanty Town, Navigator, Harem etc.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:40 am »

Some of the cartoon art (i.e. Shanty Town) could be changed.

I second that. Shanty Town, Navigator, Harem etc.

Poor, poor Maura.  He just wasn't the artist to choose for these cards (due to his style), but he get so maligned for it, so much more than he deserves...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 10:32:18 am »

Poor, poor Maura.  He just wasn't the artist to choose for these cards (due to his style), but he get so maligned for it, so much more than he deserves...

Yeah, his work is generally pretty good. It just contrasts so sharply against the styles of the other artists, and that makes him stand out in a not-so-positive way. Although, while I can appreciate Shanty Town and Navigator on their own, I still just don't like the Harem artwork. I guess artists need to have something that are not that great.

I'm not all that familiar with game production, but I suspect that the reason there's not a consistent art style from a single artist is that it takes a long time to come up with these illustrations. If an expansion had to rely on one artist getting everything done, then it would never release on time (or be later than usual, if you're the jaded sort). I imagine that having many artists allow the production team to cleave more closely to the deadline.

I remember noticing this in On the Edge. Greg Houston's style was so different compared to the other artists, but it worked for the Satanist cards (if you're curious, http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img/item/624/924/21/o_kL4JNQaDq4WPb0A.jpg)

But then, OnTE had a pretty diverse pool of artists, so it's hard to say that the game had a consistent look to it. At least with Dominion, the non-Maura cards look similar enough to have a general look.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 10:38:18 am by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »

Shanty Town and Navigator are alright, actually- it's really just Harem that's a problem.

What I don't like about Dominion's art can be summed up in one word: "Intrigue."  Scout and Minion are pretty ugly, too.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50:27 pm »
+3

I just brought this up in another thread but this is a fitting place as well:  I would change the color of the treasures so that gold was gold, silver was silver, etc.  Its so unclear when far away and even confusing when theyre in your hand.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:21:57 pm by Obi Wan Bonogi »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »
+2

Here's a card I don't see mentioned much in the "bad artwork" discussions: Festival. I can't stand it. It's not festive at all. Just some tents and the weird shrugging guy with a sword. Why a sword?

I actually prefer the Isotropic art for Festival. Those people are having a party.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 03:21:19 pm »
+5

Here's a card I don't see mentioned much in the "bad artwork" discussions: Festival. I can't stand it.

Just because the lawn gnomes didn't invite you to their party doesn't mean you should be bitter about it. Let it go, man.
A man has no signature

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:40:12 pm »

I like Harem. Yes.
On the other side, I hate the artwork of Shanty town...
Beyond that, I am satisfied with the artwork of Dominion, although I prefer the french/german edition, which have a very beautiful title on the box.

Cataphract

• Coppersmith
  • Owner and webmaster of SleeveDominion.com
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
    • Quality card sleeves for Dominion
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 12:22:35 am »

I just brought this up in another thread but this is a fitting place as well:  I would change the color of the treasures so that gold was gold, silver was silver, etc.  Its so unclear when far away and even confusing when theyre in your hand.

A great point! Absolutely.
PROTECTIVE CARD SLEEVES FOR DOMINION - best prices! Worldwide Shipping included. Visit www.SleeveDominion.com today!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
+1

I would change the artwork of Native Village.

Okay, look at that tree growing out of the roof in the background. Look closer. Follow the curve of it's trunk down. ... Where did it go? It's literally rooted in the roof! It annoys me every time I play, and to rub salt in the wounds it's printed in extra large on a mat.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 05:20:50 pm »

Here's a card I don't see mentioned much in the "bad artwork" discussions: Festival. I can't stand it. It's not festive at all. Just some tents and the weird shrugging guy with a sword. Why a sword?

I actually prefer the Isotropic art for Festival. Those people are having a party.

The Isotropic art for Festival is taken from a different card game that hires better artists, for a card whose name is "Festival of the Guildpact".  So there's  no irony in that.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.