Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Midgame discussion  (Read 1340 times)

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
Midgame discussion
« on: June 28, 2012, 03:04:04 am »
+7

Introduction
I want to try something new here.  There is a lot of evaluation on this site on specific cards, kingdoms, combos, etc.  There are card rankings for every price point done by the community.  We have articles on cards' strengths and weaknesses as well as combos and nombos.  There is a lot of help in this community about specific kingdoms from general advice to simulators. 

However, I feel like most of the analysis is limited on what to do at the beginning of the game.  Talking about different with openings and T3/T4 purchases etc. and a general strategy to pursue.  However, I want to have more of a discussion on the mid-game.  There are many adjustments people need to make after their first 6-8 turns occur.  Shuffle luck happens. 

I see a lot of players (me included) have plan A and B, then choose A.  Purchase their opening then T3/T4 gives them cards that helps plan B option instead.  Despite purchasing that benefits plan B, we continue to head to plan A despite the lack of synergy in the two separate plans.  There are a lot of different cases of this and I hope to have players thinking about the mid-game as a crucial part instead of auto-piloting. 

The set up
I will provide the kingdom as well as our respective decks at a crucial point, I will say T6-T8 will be a decent place to gauge.   I will also try to explain both strategies the best I can.  This will be done either from talks I had with the opponent or gauging purchases they have made up to that point.  This is because I do not want to expose the game logs and provide a more in-depth look on the situation.

Then simply, I hope people can offer any adjustments you would make to the strategies going forward for either if any.  I plan to also create a poll on which deck they believe is better at that particular point (also take into account their general strategy).  At the end, I will reveal the game logs and give my thoughts if neccessary. 

Questions
I have not posted a scenario quite yet because of a couple questions I have.  I am not quite sure where this best fits (Game reports? Puzzles? General discussion?) and also if there is any additional information or any adjustments you would like, please let me know.  Is there certain things you would like me to focus on?  Granted I am not good in a lot of situations, but I will try my best. 

tl;dr: I want to provide annotated games from the mid-game.  Help me.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
Re: Midgame discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:32:23 am »
+1

Great idea, I don't know where it fits best, but that's not really a concern.

I think it's important that you show a lot of games of the type: "Okay, we were going with this strategy, but the draws haven't been helpful, should we proceed with the same strategy or go for something else?"

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:22:10 am »

I agree, great idea. I'd guess this would fit well in the articles section.

In addition to the "draws have been bad, do we change our plan?" games, it would be good to show some games where one player changes plans in response to the other player's decisions.

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »

All right I will post one up in the upcoming days in the game reports section. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 20 queries.