Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Author Topic: With my Dominion Time Machine...  (Read 99967 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: With my Dominion Time Machine...
« Reply #125 on: December 20, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »
+5

So we might make an attack card which says:

Attack part: Each other player gains a Curse
Non-attack part: Each other player may gain a Silver

Would have been cool to be able to make cards with an attack and non-attack interaction part.

Minion, Soothsayer, and Margrave all do this.

I think he means such that you get the good part even if you Moat.
That's what I meant.

Reveal Moat to block the attack part, but still get the non-attack part. :)

I know.  That would be stupid.

"I had an opinion, but after being called stupid i changed my mind."

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »
+1

Duchess seems like an obvious fix to me. I'd make it so that you couldn't buy it, but you could gain one when you bought a Duchy. I'd make it just +$2 and +1 Action. It encourages 3 Pile endings to go for Duchies, since buying Duchies is faster. It just seems like an interesting strategy to go for in general, I dunno.

What's wrong with Duchess? They can't all be the best card ever.
I'd go farther and claim that Duchess is actually pretty good and underrated. Its strength is that it's one of the easiest cards in the game to gain (because it's $2 and, if you are gaining a Duchy, you don't even need to use a buy) and having one in your deck is often enough better than having none. The free gain comes at a time in the game where you may well be happy to add a terminal silver to your deck but are busy spending your buys on VP cards instead.

TheOthin

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: TheOthin
  • Respect: +447
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2014, 08:52:15 pm »
+3

Duchess seems like an obvious fix to me. I'd make it so that you couldn't buy it, but you could gain one when you bought a Duchy. I'd make it just +$2 and +1 Action. It encourages 3 Pile endings to go for Duchies, since buying Duchies is faster. It just seems like an interesting strategy to go for in general, I dunno.
In two player, there are only eight Duchies, making it impossible to drain the Duchess pile without buying them.

Also I feel like its terminal aspect makes it really more of a decision whether or not to go for it, rather than its presence just meaning "get a free Silver with every Duchy".

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 22, 2014, 05:04:37 am »

In two player, there are only eight Duchies, making it impossible to drain the Duchess pile without buying them.

Also I feel like its terminal aspect makes it really more of a decision whether or not to go for it, rather than its presence just meaning "get a free Silver with every Duchy".

Ambassador!

I don't think I've done that before.  Now I feel dirty.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2017, 03:22:48 am »

This was my favorite line from Donald's explanation:

Explorer is fine, why do people even complain about Explorer. They can't all be the best $5 ever.
All $5 cards are the best, but some $5 cards are more best than others :D
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2017, 10:36:44 am »

Originally the set did not have tokens. Embargo put itself on a pile; Pirate Ship kept one treasure per attack and counted them; Pirate Ship and Native Village did have mats, but they were card-sized (when that changed I got to add Haven back in). If I had known the set would have counters, I would have tried to get more use out of them, just as I made two more VP token cards to go with Monument.

FWIW, a group initially shied away from Seaside because it didn't include the 'base cards'.  When I told them that at least it came with 2 sets of nice metal tokens, that got them to do a 180 to go out and get the expansion!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2017, 10:44:25 am »
+2

When blocking an attack by Moat or Lighthouse, it's clear (or at least pretty intuitive) that i don't have to gain a Curse. But what about the drawing? That doesn't seem like an attack. Moat says "unaffected by the attack", not "by the attack card". so does this mean i can draw a card? Council Room lets me draw one and there it isn't an attack. By adding "if he did" the point becomes moot, and i would argue it avoids confusion for new players who don't have that firm a grasp on what "attack" type means.
Well the fix would be for Moat to say "Attack card." "Card" is supposed to be implicit; there is no such thing as an Attack that is not an Attack card. But it could be explicit.

Whoa, you do have a Dominion time machine! You went back and made that fix already!

This post is pretty amazing in retrospect.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2017, 10:56:16 am »
+2

but imagine a 4p game, that's not likely to be a fun game.

FTFY.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.