Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: With my Dominion Time Machine...  (Read 99958 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
Re: With my Dominion Time Machine...
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2014, 05:41:11 pm »

I wonder when people will start saying Prince should not force you to play his action so Possession/Ambassador cannot be used to destroy people's deck (by Ambassadoring a mandatory trasher, possessing your opponent and then Princing it). I can imagine Possessed Prince of Rats becoming a thing.

That is such an unlikely scenario, and far too fun to pull off just one time.  If someone manages to Possess you and Prince your Rats, they deserve a round of applause and an internet.

Challenge accepted.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:03 pm »
+2

Wait, why wouldn't you want your opponent to prince your rats? Then I get more rats! Remake I can understand...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
+5

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2014, 06:22:59 pm »

I would make Pirate Ship's wording refer to the Pirate Ship Mat.

This is the lone errata of Dominion I can 100% support.

Really? Not "you may" on throne room or "while this is in play" on bridge?

Pirate Ship I support because it's straight-up broken (from a rules POV) when combined with a future expansion (or the future expansion breaks it, take your pick). In other words, it seems like a typo more than a rules goof. Hence, support for errata/reprinting here.

Throne Room I would support except for the fact that changing it establishes the principle of doing errata in the first place. I think Pirate Ship is worth the exception (it's also not a big deal, I imagine anyone who owns Seaside + Guilds and even gets confused is the kind of person who will be able to figure out what happened on their own).

Bridge on the other hand, I see no reason to "while this is in play" Bridge, that's a design change! And it's huge! This third thing is not like the first two things.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 06:28:00 pm by Voltaire »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2014, 06:24:01 pm »
+1

Aaaaaand I forgot this wasn't the meme thread.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2014, 06:28:07 pm »

I would make Pirate Ship's wording refer to the Pirate Ship Mat.

This is the lone errata of Dominion I can 100% support.

Really? Not "you may" on throne room or "while this is in play" on bridge?

Pirate Ship I support because it's straight-up broken (from a rules POV) when combined with a future expansion (or the future expansion breaks it, take your pick). In other words, it seems like a typo more than a rules goof. Hence, support for errata/reprinting here.

Throne Room is 99% support, for consistency's sake.

Bridge on the other hand, I see no reason to "while this is in play" Bridge, that's a design change! And it's huge! This third thing is not like the first two things.

The Throne Room change is a design change as well. As is, if you are building a TR/draw engine, you have to think about how that works with (eg) mandatory trashing cards. I like Throne Room as it is, and I like that it's different to King's Court.

Obviously if you're playing with people who are likely to cheat it's an issue. A better solution is to not play with them, or house-rule a "or reveal a hand with no action cards" clause.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »
+1

The Throne Room change is a design change as well. As is, if you are building a TR/draw engine, you have to think about how that works with (eg) mandatory trashing cards. I like Throne Room as it is, and I like that it's different to King's Court.

Yes, and you caught me before my edit. Bah!

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2014, 07:51:05 pm »

The Soothsayer thing I don't really get, Soothsayer's one of the weaker cursers as is in my opinion, I think the added complexity is fine to keep it from being too weak.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2014, 08:04:50 pm »

The Soothsayer thing I don't really get, Soothsayer's one of the weaker cursers as is in my opinion, I think the added complexity is fine to keep it from being too weak.

I think it's more confusing than complex. It's not obvious that the person "who did" gain a Gold doesn't draw a card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2014, 08:40:17 pm »
+2

I think it's more confusing than complex. It's not obvious that the person "who did" gain a Gold doesn't draw a card.

Change the sentence to "Every other player gains a curse; if they did, they draw a card."

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:07 pm »

I think Masq without passing is a kind of boring card like Junk Dealer. I mean, with the current version you get weird scenarios, but you also get to pretend you're Oprah when your deck is awful. You get a Curse! And you get a Curse! Curses for everybody! It's unique and cute.

And without it there would be no way for anyone ever to experience the almost indescribable thrill of: Buy a Province, trash 2 Hovels.
Or have the opportunity to trash one of their Necropoleis.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:26 pm »
+13

If I had a Dominion Time Machine, I would go back to the meeting of Jay with the representatives of Goko, taking with me printouts of some of the horrible press about Goko's launch.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2014, 09:53:34 pm »
+7

If I had a Dominion Time Machine, I would go back to the meeting of Jay with the representatives of Goko, taking with me printouts of some of the horrible press about Goko's launch.

"Who is this crazed man claiming to be a time traveller and how did he get into this office?  Somebody call Security!"

And with my Dominion Time Machine, I would publicly post every card in Dark Ages as a fan expansion on some April 1 before DA is released and revel in all the comments that these things break all the unwritten rules of Dominion card design.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2014, 10:00:37 pm »
+1

With my time machine, I'd hold jsh and AdamH hostage until they told me the whereabouts of the prophesied 9th expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2014, 10:06:30 pm »
+4

With my time machine, I'd hold jsh and AdamH hostage until they told me the whereabouts of the prophesied 9th expansion.

Or you could just go to the Chicago(?) meetup where the expansion was playtested. :P

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:02 pm »

Or you could just go to the Chicago(?) meetup where the expansion was playtested. :P

According to them, most of the cards tested there have either been cut or changed anyway.  :P

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2014, 10:23:24 pm »
+1

I can tell you where it is: In Adam's gaming closet.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2014, 10:24:24 pm »
+1

According to them, most of the cards tested there have either been cut or changed anyway.  :P

I suppose you could also go back and time and start streaming a lot of Dominion games such that you would be one of the chosen to playtest on isotropic.  That's a lot of work though.

Alternative plan: go back in time and steal AdamH's identity shortly after he is chosen.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2014, 11:41:29 pm »
+3

As an experienced player, it's easy to see the benefit of a card being at a slightly better power level, and easy to see the benefit of a card being slightly more interesting. It's hard to see the benefit of a card being slightly simpler. Being simpler is just drastically more valuable to the game though. Dominion is played by normal people.

This case is particularly crazy and well I struggle not to discuss strategy. The extra text wasn't possibly worth it, that's how I see it.

Elestan

• Witch
  • Respect: +428
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:41 am »

Saboteur is the biggest mistake here. Some people hate it because it can trash Provinces...
My thought here is to put the 3-6 range limiter on it, but make the card gain mandatory.  Fixes the Province-trashing problem, but buffs it by making it a hybrid trasher/junker.

I would look at ways to buff Scout.
Letting it grab curses (and possibly ruins) would be a good buff, and I also like the idea I saw on another thread of making it a 0-pt Victory card.

Masquerade has a clear simple wording and I would rather kill the card than make the wording awful.
I wish that Lighthouse/Moat would let a player ignore the card passing, but that might be hard to do with a simple wording.

Sea Hag should be a more powerful card for $5.
+1 Card, Discard a card?  That kind of goes in theme with Young Witch.

Lookout is the dud of the set. The problem is, some people are terrified of trashing a good card with it.
"In any order, trash a revealed card, put a revealed on top of your deck, and discard all revealed cards."

I do not look at Possession and think, oh I shouldn't have made that one.
I'm in the "no multiple turns" camp.  One friend of mine who hadn't been playing very long got turned off of the game when someone used KC-KC-Possession x3 on her.  It's just not fun for the possessed person to sit there taking orders for a half-hour.  Or for the other players watching.

That said, Loan is easily the dud for me...this flipping over of cards thing has to come paired with something like "and get the good ones" in order to not bum people out too much.
It could do the Lookout thing and let them top-deck, discard, or trash their next Treasure.

Talisman would be a lot more exciting if it could get VP cards somehow, but some people do like it as is. There might have been a good tweak there, dunno.
Use the Horn of Plenty technique, and make Talisman trash itself if it gains VP?

Harvest does the flip over cards thing, and I would try to fix that up, see if I could make a version that did not make your good cards go by.
Flip over four, discard any duplicates, gain coin equal to the number of remaining cards, and then top-deck them?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2014, 01:57:28 am »

"In any order, trash a revealed card, put a revealed on top of your deck, and discard all revealed cards."

A simpler wording with the same effect:

"Look at the top 3 cards of your deck.  You may trash one of them.  You may put one on top of you deck.  Discard the rest."

I like Lookout as is.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2014, 02:20:41 am »

Saboteur is the biggest mistake here. Some people hate it because it can trash Provinces...
My thought here is to put the 3-6 range limiter on it, but make the card gain mandatory.  Fixes the Province-trashing problem, but buffs it by making it a hybrid trasher/junker.

No.  Being able to trash Provinces and Colonies is the only thing Saboteur has going for it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2014, 04:28:27 am »
+1

No.  Being able to trash Provinces and Colonies is the only thing Saboteur has going for it.
I think most people hate it because
a) they don't like it when it's used against them (trashing their precious cards)
b) they don't like using it themselves as it provides no resources

At least in 2p it's often skippable, but imagine a 4p game with Saboteurs all around, that's not likely to be a fun game.
So we have a card which in 2p is often useless and when it's good, the game is no fun. And in 3p and 4p it can make a game horrible.

Knights mostly fixed this by limiting themselves to 3-6 costing cards, providing resources and removing themselves from the game.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2014, 05:16:40 am »

Wait, why wouldn't you want your opponent to prince your rats? Then I get more rats! Remake I can understand...

Because you are forced to trash a card every turn, with the chance of cards you can trash without losing something valuable sinking every turn. But okay, Remake is probably the better way to use Prince against somebody else.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2014, 07:00:53 am »
+2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.