Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Taking Pity"  (Read 2559 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
"Taking Pity"
« on: June 27, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
+1

I recently played a game where I got very lucky.

I drew 5/2 with torturer/hamlet on the board.

I then got even luckier and started dealing out Torturer chains almost immediately (Turn 4: Torturer, Turn 5: Torturer, Turn 6: 2 Torturer, Turn 7: 2 Torturer, Turn 8: 4 Torturer)

At that point I said: "sorry about this. 5/2 was lucky. the string that fast is even luckier"

The response was: "coulda always taken pity on me" followed by a disconnect.

My first thought was I was playing someone new or someone who was low rank, but I checked and it was a level 35 who had played almost 1000 games.

It never occurs to me to 'take pity' on someone during a game. I think I would find it insulting if someone did it to me. If I'm playing for fun with friends I might play a fun, risky strategy to see if it works. Or if it's with someone new I might play a little toned down (and/or just explain why I'm doing what I'm doing). But the idea of taking pity on a level 35 because I got good draws seems really foreign to me.

Is this something people do?

Ed

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: "Taking Pity"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 07:37:33 pm »
+7

What nonsense from your opponent. Even you pointing out the lucky nature of your play and apologizing is an unnecessary courtesy.

His response should have been: "Np, happens to everybody sometimes. GG." Resign.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »

No, pulling punches is not expected unless you're teaching the game to novices. In which case I wouldn't put Torturer/Hamlet on the board, that's for sure!

I understand, though, that it can be really frustrating to get terrible luck like that, especially if you've just come off a game of three where you lost because of a bad break in the last shuffle or whatever. Still, it strikes me as unusual that such a seasoned player would straight-out ask for pity.

I am perhaps more proud than I should be to say I haven't rage-tab-closed in several months, although a couple of times I've rage-resigned after a terrible start or atrocious early game misplay.

Edit: At that rate, you were going to play eight Torturers on turn 10 and sixteen on turn 12! No wonder your opponent resigned.

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 07:55:50 pm »
+1

You certainly don't make it to level 35 by "taking pity" on your opponents, and it's kinda pathetic to ask someone else to do so. As Robz said, "np, gg" resign, or something to that effect, would've been the appropriate response. I'm sure your opponent was just frustrated (understandably) and probably regrets his behavior. You did nothing wrong; in fact, you were nicer than you had to be.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 07:56:46 pm »
+1

No.
Play to win.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »
+3

IN THE GAME OF THR-... DOMINION... YOU WIN OR YOU DIE!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »

When you play the game of Dominion, you are first player, or you die (55% of the time, or thereabouts).
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 09:24:13 pm »
+2

When you play the game of Dominion, you are first player, or you die (55% of the time, or thereabouts).

Did you pay the iron price for that Grand Market?  No Greyjoy will use money to get Grand Markets!  They'll use Smugglers, or Masquerade, or Possession-Ambassador!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 09:29:39 pm »

What nonsense from your opponent. Even you pointing out the lucky nature of your play and apologizing is an unnecessary courtesy.

His response should have been: "Np, happens to everybody sometimes. GG." Resign.

This, not even close.

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 10:28:23 pm »

I always play to win.  And I've had my rear end handed to me many times.  I learn from those experiences.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 03:02:59 am »

No pity. Play to win. If you took pity on him, you would be giving him a chance to catch up, and, with a little luck, possibly to win. Then you would have lost a game you should have won just because he was bellyaching about the game.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 20 queries.