Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Problem loggin in with Firefox  (Read 4120 times)

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
Problem loggin in with Firefox
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:20:18 am »

Hi there - for some reason I've never been able to log in to isotropic with Firefox - only with Internet Explorer.

When trying to use Firefox for isotropic I start off at the first screen with the heading "Online Dominion" where you have the option of logging in with google, yahoo or playing without logging in. Whichever option I take from this screen I get to the second screen where you have the four boxes "nickname", "lobby", "initial status" and "interface" and the "enter lobby" option. Then when I click on enter lobby I get looped back to the initial "Online Dominion" screen....

This hasn't been a big problem until now because I've just used Internet Explorer but yesterday I reinstalled IE and now when I try to play a game the interface is completely scrambled and unplayable.... text displayed over the top of other text and pictures.... all the cards available to buy are still in their normal play (half without their pictures) but to get to your hand to play it you have to scroll down for about 10 or 15 seconds....

I've tried using Chrome but same problem as with Firefox. Any suggestions?

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Problem loggin in with Firefox
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:28 am »

61 views but no suggestions...?

Still can't log-in with Firefox or play with IE.... and I'm obviously not in the beta.... so I'm on enforced leave of absence from dominion.   :(

Spent the last few days clearing cache, making sure it is not my security software that is blocking the program, making sure isotropic is an allowed site for Firefox (it is).... don't know what else to try....

Is anyone else having problems with accessing isotropic with IE...? Superimposed images etc.

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:47:32 am »

Most folks too busy playing beta on FunSockets to even see these plaintive little messages...?

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:50:22 am »
+1

I think just nobody knows anything to say. I play with firefox usually, haven't noticed anything like that...

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:47:27 am »

I play in FF, never had this problem. It's not a firefox issue. Don't know what to tell you.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 02:33:34 pm »

61 views but no suggestions...?

Okay, I'll have a go.  Can you play without logging in?  Is dominion.isotropic.org allowed to set cookies on your computer?

What version of IE are you using?  I'd expect dougz tests with the recent versions, but IE has a history of badly mangling web pages, and it's possible you could have problems if you're a long way in the past.  I'd be surprised if display issues in IE are related to log-in issues in FF and Chrome.

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 04:21:33 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Nope can't play on Firefox with or without logging in (and never have been able to on this computer). Firefox definitely has cookies enabled for isotropic. Complete mystery. Just loops me back to the start screen every time.

With regard playing with IE. I have been playing with IE without problems for the last few months. Then I reinstalled it (version 8) and the problems started.... have since tried uninstalling and reinstalling v7, no good.... gone back to v8 now but no joy. Oh well looks like it won't be too long until the Funsockets version comes out.... might just have to play IRL til then....

<.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 02:58:08 pm »

You could try Opera, which uses completely different components to all of IE, FF and Chrome.  If you have a problem there too then it's probably not your browser.

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried Opera and.... same problem as Chrome and Firefox.... keeps looping me back to the start screen.

The really weird thing is that I can still get into Isotropic with IE (it is just a mangled version of Isotropic). So I seem to have one problem that affects Opera, Chrome and Firefox and a different, probably unrelated problem, that is hitting IE....

I've run scans for viruses and corrupted files - nothing. I'm baffled.

<.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 06:55:52 pm »

Something weird with a firewall, maybe?  If you're playing somewhere like at work, maybe it's been blocked?

I'd like to see a screenshot of the mangled IE screen.

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Problem loggin in with Firefox - WITH SCREENSHOTS!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 01:44:24 am »

OK.... not completely sure how to add screen shots here....

First image shows the great hall. I can see games starting but not people waiting in the lobby. If someone proposes a game with me I can join it but I can't propose a game myself....

Second image shows a bit of what I'm talking about with the superimposing of some text over the card images and card images over each other.

Third image shows the same game screen if you scroll up for 5 - 10 seconds. The things you can buy all spaced out so you can't see them on the screen at once and the images missing from some of them.

qmech

• Torturer
  • What year is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 05:06:41 am »

They look like problems interpreting the CSS.  A quick search (I don't have access to any machines that run IE) suggests that there might be browser settings you can try to cajole IE into doing the right thing—try toggling "Compatibility View" in the Tools menu.  Anything with reference to Standard, Strict or Quirks mode is a worth a go too.

cactus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
FIXED! - problem loggin in with Firefox
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »
+1

Well the IE problem not the Firefox problem....

Not exactly sure how I fixed it either. I couldn't find "compatibility view" in the tools but I did change the settings of a bunch of things in there. Then I reinstalled IE8 for a third time and.... suddenly it is working fine!?

Well a big thank you to everyone who made suggestions! See you in the great hall.  :D

TitiansMuse

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

I know this is an old post, but I found it through a Google search of the same problem.

Internet Explorer only allows mouse-over view of cards, whereas Chrome Firefox and Opera will show the full card.  So I tried each one, in turn.

Opera downloaded, but kept on giving me an error once I was in the middle of a game, and abruptly disconnected me.  I "lost" a ton of games that way, in a really short period of time.

Firefox and Chrome though didn't work at all, so I went back to IE and then back to Opera (and then got disconnected again).

What worked for me was downloading Firefox (after removing Chrome and Opera) and then when I hit the error message for log-in (the Google or Yahoo screen), I cleared my Internet history.  Everything.  Immediately worked.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.