Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Round 3 Results Thread  (Read 24230 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
IsoDom 5: Round 3 Results Thread
« on: June 25, 2012, 04:15:28 pm »

So, brackets A and C finished Round 2 despite the anticipated postponement.  I'd hate to keep them waiting, so here's a round three results thread.  Round 3 pairings are posted to their normal place at:

http://isodom.challonge.com

Matches are best-of-five, but do not play a sixth if there is a draw (i.e. 2-2-1) at that point.

Match results are due by Monday 09 July* at 06:00 EDT/10:00 GMT.  Note that this is two weeks due to the tournament.  Finish your matches by Sunday unless you plan to get up early Monday morning.  Note that due to the nature of a Swiss tournament, unplayed matches cannot be made up.  Rules about dropouts are in the signup thread.

Good luck!

*Date may be changed if Bracket B doesn't catch up in the next couple of days.  We'll see what happens with them and with the tournament, but I want to give everyone a chance to get into the tournament if possible.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Round 3 Results Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:03:39 pm »

Obi Wan Bonogi 1
Rabid 3

Short version: I got really lucky :)

Game 1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/26/game-20120626-110952-e2f01a8b.html
Cellar, Duchess, Farming Village, Peddler, Possession, Potion, Remake, Thief, Throne Room, Trade Route, and University

I have no idea what I'm doing here, I lose the peddler race 4/6, but that might be a good thing?
I win the possession race, then it gets really random I think.

Game 2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/26/game-20120626-112509-8eb1523a.html
Apprentice, Baron, Colony, Grand Market, Herbalist, Laboratory, Lighthouse, Platinum, Royal Seal, Saboteur, Treasure Map, and Tunnel

We both open Baron + Silver, But Obi Wan Bonogi gets the dream draw on T3, Estate + baron + silver = GM. Nice play from then on for the win.

Game 3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/26/game-20120626-113550-0bededac.html
Explorer, Fishing Village, Fool's Gold, Fortune Teller, Mint, Native Village, Stables, Thief, Tournament, and Wishing Well
I get the 5/2 Mint / FG perfect start. :)
Its is so strong even my incorrectly picking up tournament, and the T11 Followers isn't enough.
My router dropped out on turn 16 of 18, Many thanks Obi Wan Bonogi for the good sportmanship of not resigning me.

Game 4

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/26/game-20120626-114516-1c04f26b.html
Baron, Counting House, Great Hall, Island, Loan, Market, Nobles, Rabble, Saboteur, and Workshop

Interesting board this one.
My Island / Loan vs Baron / Loan.
I quickly add a workshop, and its ends on piles in 16 turn, Islands, Nobles, Great halls, with only 2 duchy, 1 estate purchased.

Thanks for the match Obi, good luck next round.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:47:12 pm by Rabid »
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

Yeah some pretty ugly games. 

In the first game Remake scared me with possession in mind but that was probably thinking too far down the road. 

Game 2/3 bleh.

I wish I could have game 4 back.  Went a little overboard on not ramping up my $ which lead to facilitating the three-pile too much.  The rabble really impaired my very limited economy.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 06:42:50 am »

edited for log of game 1

Marin vs lespeutere 1-3

0-1
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120627-023036-b11b9e4b.html
For the first game we both missed the logs. It was a really interesting game imho, with border village, hunting party, margrave, jester and minion. I started 5/2 and first picked up minion, then switched to a more hunting party based deck, to go back to minions when Marin started to play margraves at least 2/3 of his turns (+ 4 card hands are a lot worse for HP than 5 card hands). So, normally I don't like to get border villages for a minion deck but here it supported jester and margrave very well.

1-1
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-023619-14020feb.html
There's witch and there is masquerade. We both start silver/masquerade, I skip witch for a second masquerade. I still like this decision pretty much, my main mistake was not having picked up a hoard, which I must have overlooked, somehow. Don't have any other explanations.

1-2
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-025555-2e8791c6.html
So, there is no engine potential at all here. Instead there is vault and and navigator for a quick start. So I start silver/navigator while Marin goes for black market. I buy gold - vault - vault - province - province on t3-7, getting the provinces embargoed for the first time. Marin picked up goons from BM and starts to hurt me with them. I switch to farmlands which help me since he's got to split his embargoes into farmlands and provinces. It's a pretty long game, he manages to gain some VP in the end but I can defend my lead and end it on piles leading still comfortably.

1-3
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-030812-7c9d6ab6.html
So, here I got pretty lucky (we agreed on). I go for YW, Marin for familiar. He misses it on t3/4 with 2$P, while I can grab a gold (+ silver + 2 stables on t3-6) and shuffle my deck more quickly, dealing him a first couple of curses. I lose the curse war 3-7, but get expand earlier than he does. We both get 5 native villages, with nobles for card draw (I also get 2 smithies). Eventually I can finish nobles as the 3rd pile with help of expand ending another game in which Marin doesn't "know what happened - and how".

Thanks for the games, game 1 was very interesting, I think, I'll post the CR log tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:28:59 am by lespeutere »

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:35 pm »

help im a bug defeats dghunter79 3-1

These were some crazy boards.

Game 1 (hiab 32, dg 24) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-183711-d02c86fd.html
Cantrips, talisman, and peddler, with Salvager and Grand Market (and Princess) as the sources of +buy. I manage to snag an early Grand Market with a Salvager and I think it ends up proving decisive.

Game 2 (hiab 50, dg 34) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-182440-16d9fcfb.html
DG goes for Vault over Wharf with his 5/2 and I figure he's going for Dukes. My plan is to go masq-wharf-BM and pick up colonies, but an early Platinum (aided by his Vaults) lets me get a double-duchy turn. We end up splitting the duchies evenly, and that's doom for a dedicated duchy strategy.

Game 3 (dg 47, hiab 18) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-184555-8307288c.html
I'm out of this one early when he gets Witch advantage and connects his Tournament. I stick around hoping to put something together, but I get flogged.

Game 4 (hiab 45, dg 35) http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/27/game-20120627-185822-0c1e1735.html
AAAAAAHH!! This game was confusing. Young Witch with Embargo as bane. Governor and King's Court. I don't even know my strategy here. I just Embargo everything in sight and grab some Governors. I  manage to turn enough Golds into Provinces that by the time he hits his megaturn, I can turn my silvers into Islands when he turns his Golds into Provinces and secure my victory.

Good, complex boards all around! A pleasure playing with you.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:23 pm »

FYI everyone in Bracket B: the new round is up. 

I can't play this weekend, Kirian, but will be ready all through the upcoming week.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 06:55:42 pm »

Young Nick 3 -- blueblimp 2

Game 1: blueblimp 80 - Young Nick 13
Game 2: Young Nick 47 - blueblimp 24
Game 3: blueblimp 37 - Young Nick 51
Game 4: blueblimp 46 - Young Nick 40
Game 5: Young Nick 48 - blueblimp 35

Key game here was game 3, where I play dumbly and YN plays reasonably, seizing 1p advantage for game 5. (I lucked into 1p advantage for game 1.)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:08:13 pm »
+1

Comments:

Game 1: As 1p getting 4/3 against 2p getting 5/2 on a very Amb-friendly board, I'm not too worried in this game, even though Tac/XRoads or MB/XRoads is not totally awful to precede an Amb transition. YN actually skips Amb entirely, which leads to me pile-driving Colonies. There's some question about the best opening here: Amb/Amb? Amb/Silver? FarmV/Amb? I go with Horse Traders/Amb.

Game 2: This time, YN gets the favourable split, as a Trading Post opener looks pretty good against Sea Hag. Chapel is here, but there's not much to do with it. My Sea Hags don't do much, but maybe that's because my opening SH misses the shuffle. Anyway, my suspect later play seals my defeat. (Turn 7 Trading Post is probably bad. But I was pretty far behind by then.)

Game 3: My play here is a total mess. It looks like something involving Grand Market/XRoads/Watchtower may be possible, and that is my first thought, but later in the game I change my mind. In hindsight, why not just do Watchtower+Hoard+possibly XRoad when having $2.

Game 4: I figure I'll just get Baron and Hoard and green a lot. It works. YN has a similar plan, but gets a Possession too, which does nothing.

Game 5: Opening split is relevant again, as I have 5/2 when Hunting Party/Woodcutter is probably the best thing here. Still, an HP/Explorer looks not too terrible, so that's what I go with. I make a possible error by taking a Lookout, my reasoning being that Explorer gives me enough Silvers, and Lookout can help HP reliability. (The second time I play it, it flips Silver/Silver/Province--ouch.) Woodcutter may have helped more, since YN's buys really make it hard for me to do much. On the other hand, I'm 2p, and HP games are not friendly to 2p.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »
+1

blueblimp said most of my thoughts exactly.

For game 1, I had every intention of picking up an Ambassador. With my first <$5 hand, I pick up a Horse Traders to give me some +buys (for future Ambassador pick ups), and because I am being attacked almost every turn. My apprentices aren't enough, especially since they are mostly trashing Curses and Coppers.

Game 3 is just me doing BM+Chancellor, which isn't great, but, well, neither is the board. Chancellor is a lot easier to utilize when the Point Tracker Extension is enabled, so I can see how many of each card I have.

Game 4 is more or less a mirror. I go for Possession hoping to steal a Province or Duchy+Estate turn. It comes too late.

Game 5 I attribute mostly to the opening split. I have no idea what I could have done with a 5/2. Woodcutter is very nice for HP.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:08:43 pm »

qmech 3 - ycz6 0

qmech 44 - ycz6 23
A weird 3 way Sea Hag/Duke/(Tactician/Vault) hybrid.  Since the target is only $5 it's possible to do a lot of fishing with Cellar to find the Tactician and Vault.

ycz6 25 - qmech 36
cards in supply: Duke, Farming Village, Goons, Great Hall, Hamlet, Herbalist, Peddler, Potion, Scrying Pool, Sea Hag, and Silk Road
When we saw this we thought "Haven't we already played this game?"  We had not: this was more of Silk Road rush.  All the pieces for a Goons engine are present, but you can't do that and rush Silk Road, and the Sea Hag is sitting on Scrying Pool.

ycz6 30 - qmech 39
Cellar/Treasure Map against straight Tournament; I connect my Maps at the start of the fourth run through my deck. Close.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 03:37:37 pm »

Teproc 3 - Insomniac-X 0

I'll add the second game log tomorrow.

Game 1 : Teproc 34 - Insomniac-X 29

Ambassador/Silver vs Ambassador/Ambassador. When I see him grabbing another one, I take my own second Ambassador on the reshuffle, but I think the difference was the Remodels. I initially thought I would eventually grab a Monument, but when I was going too, I decided Remodel would probably be better since we were already well into the midgame. I ended up buying two of those and they served me well, giving me the win.

Game 2 : Teproc 37 Insomniac-X 27

Governor game, with Militia. We both open Militia/Silver, but I go for Governors over Gold, whereas Insomniac grabs a few Golds first. I manage to grab a lead, which I can then secure into a win with a last turn in which all my Governors can safely be used for +draw.

Game 3 : Teproc 35 Insomniac-X 28

Fairly weak Kingdom, Standouts being Hunting Party and Swindler, especially given the presence of Peddler. The dreaded Peddler/Swindler interaction doesn't happen until the last turn of the game though, and ends up not mattering. Other than that, not the most interesting game : I hesitated on turn 11 on which one to give instead of a HP : Duchy or Royal Seal. I ended up going for the Seal, which I think turned out to be right, since the late game came fast after that, and an extra Duchy would certainly have complicated things.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 10:35:29 am by Teproc »
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

yudantaiteki

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +167
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 08:16:31 pm »

chriskern 3 - Farb 0

Game 1: chriskern 47 - Farb 38

Game 2: chriskern 27 - Farb 25

Game 3: chriskern 29 - Farb 19

(Actually these might be opposite order but I guess it doesn't matter)

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:02:26 pm »
+1

rspeer 3 - greatexpectations 2. We played a full set of 5 games, but it was 3-1 after the fourth; we couldn't remember if match points counted for something. From the 3-0 sets here, I suppose they don't.

Game 1: rspeer 10 - greatexpectations resigned. A wacky set with Colonies but no kingdom cards above $4 or $3P. I got ahead on trashing curses and buying scrying pools enough to get an engine going that was time-consuming to play; GE resigned to save time.

Game 2: rspeer 60 - greatexpectations 48. Masquerade/BM vs Ironworks/Duke.

Game 3: greatexpectations 59 - rspeer 45. This one deserves a post-game look at ge's deck:

#1 greatexpectations: 59 points (6 Dukes, 2 Provinces, 4 Duchies, 9 Estates, and a Farmland); 27 turns
                   opening: Workshop / Potion
                   [48 cards] 6 Dukes, 3 Philosopher's Stones, 2 Woodcutters, 1 Farmland, 1 Workshop, 10 Coppers, 9 Silvers, 1 Potion, 9 Estates, 4 Duchies, 2 Provinces

greatexpectations: I had no idea what I was doing there.
rspeer: I still have no idea what you did there.

Game 4: rspeer 34 - greatexpectations 29. I like Navigator.

Superfluous Game 5: greatexpectations 75 - rspeer 71. Hi, my name is Penny the penultimate colony, nobody likes me. I figured I had to buy the penultimate colony because GE had an engine and I just had a bunch of green, so I was going to lose the war of attrition. I could hope he whiffed on the reshuffle. He didn't.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 11:02:11 am »

Kenuru got me in 5 games.  Council room is down so I don't have the logs.  But the last game was exceptionally disappointing.  I got my opening buys on Turn 5 in a Masquerade/HP game,  combined with a Turn 3/4 split of 5/2, where his Masquerade dropped my $5 hand to $4.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 11:18:50 am »

rspeer 3 - greatexpectations 2. We played a full set of 5 games, but it was 3-1 after the fourth; we couldn't remember if match points counted for something. From the 3-0 sets here, I suppose they don't.

Game 1: rspeer 10 - greatexpectations resigned.
Game 2: rspeer 60 - greatexpectations 48.
Game 3: greatexpectations 59 - rspeer 45.
Game 4: rspeer 34 - greatexpectations 29.
Superfluous Game 5: greatexpectations 75 - rspeer 71.

some quick thoughts:
game 2: this game had KC, possession, and saboteur.  no real engine to power it, but i was still hesitant of that power.  IW to grab silver into dukes seemed to me immune to the attacks as well as competitive with masq/BM.  2 IW colliding turn 5 and all 3 colliding turn 9 took away any chance i might have had.
game 3: i still have no idea how to play this board. my strategy was basically woodcutter and workshop to bloat with copper and silver into duke. i hoped the philosopher's stone would enable a late province or two.  it sort of worked i guess?
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2012, 11:35:13 am »
+1

angrybirds 3 - Grujah 2.

Here are logs from the first two and the last one if Grujah grabbed them that would be great, if not I'll post them when CRoom comes back online.

Game 1: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-074845-c6256149.html - Having Tactician makes having lots of terminals easier to deal with

Game 2: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-075639-4e1463fe.html - He got 3 Governors before I could grab my first one

Game 3: Minion game where I go into Golem and misclick at the end when I could have bought a Duchy to stay ahead by 7 and not lose with his Province buy, but I didn't...

Game 4: Witch cycling with Hunting Party was key here

Game 5: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-081940-edb61395.html Fun Colony game with massive rush into FG(via Talisman)/Council Room/Fishing Village

thanks for the games, I'll update later with scores and other logs

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 01:18:39 pm »

HiveMindEmulator 3 : 1 -Stef-

HME 65 : 94 -Stef- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-092751-7ee2ca47.html
HME 66 : 38 -Stef- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-093601-de2dbdb5.html
HME 47 : 35 -Stef- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-094226-a524072b.html
HME 56 : 43 -Stef- http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/03/game-20120703-095321-3b6fae61.html

Game 1 was a really interesting one. I got a 5/2 split and opened Ghost Ship/Chapel while he opened Monument/Chapel. I'm not sure the Ghost Ship did much, as it was primarily a NV/Library game with Monuments and Secret Chambers for money. With more Monuments, he built a pretty solid chip lead and even though he lost the NV split, he had enough to keep playing his Monuments and keep rolling along.

Game 2 was a Fool's Gold game. It was a pure luck win for me as I got a 5/2 and got Council Room right away, which gave me a major lead versus his Horse Traders.

Game 3 was an Embassy/Tunnel game. He opened Oasis, which I don't think helped at all (though I can't see his Embassy draws to know if it hurt him compared to Silver, I'll bet it did). Other than that, strategies were about the same but he had worse Embassy draws.

Game 4 I went for Bishop/Governor with a single Mountebank while he delayed his Bishop and added a lot more stuff including a second Mountebank, a couple Courtyards to draw, and a couple Cartographers to sift. I don't think all the extra bells and whistles helped much due to the Bishop trashing, the mass influx of money from Governors, the lack of +buy (there was Council Room but no one bought it), and the sufficient drawing ability of Governor.

Overall, it was not the most exciting series due to 2 games with really straightforward boring BM combos, which didn't allow -Stef- to exhibit his trademark awesomeness, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and I hope we get a chance for a rematch in the elimination rounds :)

turkman

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 01:49:02 pm »

Turkman 3 -- [Mad] Mergus 1

Overall the games were fun and I enjoyed playing with [Mad] Mergus. He was accommodating with scheduling, which was nice because I did not have electricity for several days due to a freak storm. Anyway, here are the logs for the games.

Turkman [8] -- [Mad] Mergus 12
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-082407-818ad3fa.html

The 5/2 split was nice here for [Mad] Mergus. He opened Torturer/Hamlet and it went from there. I opened silver/cutpurse hoping to hit 5 soon to get my own Torturer and to try to snatch a copper here and there to delay him from getting to 5 again. This was a rare game for me, in that Grand Market was essentially ignored. I knew the piles were getting depleted, but I couldn't move in time to grab another province. On my next turn I planned to expand a torturer into a province. I had opportunities to do so earlier, I believe, but I had failed to capitalize on them. Overall, [Mad] Mergus played really well and solidly won the game -- even though the score was close, the game never felt close to me.

Turkman 42 -- [Mad] Mergus 40
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-083404-7cdad27d.html
I opened 5/2 and grabbed a Minion. On my third turn I grabbed a loan and was able to grab a Minion on many of my next turns. I messed up later by not grabbing duchies as soon as my hand started to slow, but the lead offered me by Minions and a low-coinage hand made it hard for him to catch up.

Turkman 33 -- [Mad] Mergus 23
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-084703-3c34a0bd.html
We both went chapel / silver. He grabbed the first province and had more money, but I had more Menageries and, combined with my Outpost and a couple Hamlets, I was able to buy back-to-back Provinces twice in the game, cementing the win.

Turkman 35 -- [Mad] Mergus 23
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-085507-f7107447.html
I believe [Mad] Mergus made a mistake by not opening with a Tactician with his 5/2 split. I went Sea Hag and grabbed cards that would help me cycle my deck so I could keep hitting him. This effort resulted in a 8/2 split of the curses. Instead of grabbing Tactician, [Mad] Mergus grabbed a Jester. The Jester kept hitting my coppers, giving me moe fuel for my Spice Merchant and Stables. Possession was purchased, and neither of us made much use of University. Shockingly, we each only played tactician once, and due to hand clogging it appears he only got a silk road out of it. My use was at the end, and did do much since I already had enough money to deplete a third pile without the extra cards.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 01:50:28 pm by turkman »

jvb

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »

Wizard of Woz - bazyn 1:3

1:0 (23:8 )
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-064806-be6529cc.html

One of the worst Kingdoms I have ever played with (or maybe there is here something that I am too weak to see?) An IGG game with no cards worth 3 or 4. We both open S/S and when Wizard gets 5 on turn 3 and 4 and I get 4 on turns 3 and 4 it's over the game.

1:1 Missing log, will put it here when Councilroom works again :)
And I have no idea what this game looked like :P

1:2 (33:40)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-070156-04a0f10a.html

I open bishop/S, Wizard opens Nomad Camp/S. After that I go BM, stopping to pick a lab and a nomad camp for the extra buy (which I didn't end up using;)), Wizard keeps buying silver up to turn 6 when having 7 money on the table he decides to go for a lab. I think a gold here would be a much better choice. Eventually, we split provinces 4/4 and I win thanks to VP tokens and farmlands.

1:3 (29:56)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-071454-96d5f696.html
A Kingdom with Alchemist and University, but there were not much the University could pick, so I decided to ignore it. We both opened Potion/S, after that Wizard started buying Universities, which I felt as if they were dead cards in his hands later and that let me win the game with a big point difference.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2012, 10:33:33 pm »

Jorbles vs. Rhombus.  Jorbles wins, 3-2

Jorbles wins, 53-45
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-183937-c8db096b.html

Jorbles opens Steward/Chapel to my Treasure Map/Chapel.  His maps hit on turn 6, mine on turn 7.  Not really sure what happened here.

Rhombus wins, 39-31
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-185256-12f2859b.html

I open Jester / Embargo to Jorbles' Militia/Embargo.  I get a nice gold on turn 4, embargo them on turn 5, and then buy second on turn 6.  I get my first province at turn 8 (embargoed by Jorbles), while he doesn't get a gold until turn 18 because I've double embargoed golds on turn 9.

Jorbles wins, 50-44
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-190404-bf460a82.html

We both open Courtyard/Silver on this Duchy/Duke board.  Game ends on Harems/Duchies/Dukes as I have 8 in my hand - how unfortunate.

Rhombus wins, 40-39
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-191121-fc427122.html

I open Remake/Silver to Jorbles' Remake/Courtyard.  My goal here is to transition into something with Embassy, but things don't seem to connect.  He purchases an oasis on turn 18 instead of an estate, allowing me to win the following turn.

Jorbles wins, 27-16
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-191601-d8b5d6e9.html

Ironworks/Great Hall/Gardens/Crossroads.  Big 1p board and perhaps I should have tried to draw out the game after losing the Gardens split.

I'm most curious about games 3 and 5 - what went wrong for me here?

All in all I'd say the games were very close - good games Jorbles.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2012, 02:09:17 am »

Ah Rhombus beat me to it, but since I've already written my analysis:

Jorbles wins 3-2 over Rhombus in this point tracker, identical starting hand, no veto match.

Jorbles 53 vs Rhombus 45
Chapel, Farmland, Moneylender, Remodel, Scheme, Spice Merchant, Steward, Treasure Map, Tunnel, and Watchtower
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-183937-c8db096b.html

A Chapel/Treasure Map game that I take a risky start on opening Steward/Chapel instead of TM/Chapel thinking that a Steward will be more useful in the mid/end game. It works out, but doesn't really matter in the end. We both blow our wad too early trashing some of the Golds out of our deck with Farmlands when we probably should have held onto some treasure so we could easily wrap things up. It draws on as our decks bog down with green. Rhombus threatens my slim lead by picking up some Remodels before the final reshuffle giving him a shot at a comeback, but I buy a Remodel and pick it up at the right time to end it.

Rhombus 39 vs Jorbles 31
Bank, Duchess, Embargo, Expand, Jester, Militia, Oracle, Scout, Swindler, and Wishing Well
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-185256-12f2859b.html

We open 5/2 and I try to be different opening Militia/Embargo. Rhombus opens Jester/Embargo. I think Jester or Swindler would have both been good, but Militia was bad. The Embargoes make for some interesting play, though. Rhombus gets to an early Gold and Embargoes the Golds (though he realizes he still needs another and buys through the Curse to get a second Gold). Seeing that Rhombus is ahead, I Embargo the Provinces to slow him down. Expands are key here to get around the Embargos to Gold and Province. This is where I realize that Jester was superior to Militia as it can be Expanded into a Province, but Militia can't. I have more Expands than Rhombus and threaten a comeback. On the final reshuffle with the final game deciding Province left, I just need to draw an Expand with something big enough to Expand into a Province, but all of my Expands are in the back half of my deck and Rhombus has time to buy out the Estates and 3 pile for the win.

Jorbles 50 vs Rhombus 44
Courtyard, Develop, Duke, Fishing Village, Fool's Gold, Golem, Harem, King's Court, Potion, Warehouse, and Wishing Well
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-190404-bf460a82.html
There's little worth King's Courting on this board so we both focus on Courtyards and Warehouses. I go more for Courtyards and Rhombus more for Warehouses. We split the Duchies and then I start taking Harems when I'm ahead on Dukes thinking of the long game. This works out as I maintain my lead mostly due to my Harems. I think Courtyards > Warehouse for most of the game, though you want a bit of a balance I attribute my win primarily to the Courtyards in my deck.

Rhombus 40 vs Jorbles 39
Alchemist, Courtyard, Embassy, Forge, Mine, Nobles, Oasis, Potion, Remake, Village, and Workshop
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-191121-fc427122.html
Courtyards show their strength again going up against Embassies and almost beating them. We both open Remake, but I pick up a Courtyard over a Silver counting on the Remake to put the money into my deck. Rhombus gets a couple Embassies and we're running the Provinces out quickly until we start the Duchy dance at which point I'm liking his Embassies more than my Courtyards to deal with all the drek in our decks. It's pretty even all things considered. I have a small lead at the end, but make a tactical error on my last turn, buying an Oasis over an Estate. If I'd bought the Estate he couldn't have ended it and I would have been able to draw it out longer and maybe end it on piles or get lucky and take the Province myself. (I did have more treasure in my deck so it was possible.)

Jorbles 27 vs Rhombus 16
City, Crossroads, Fortune Teller, Gardens, Golem, Governor, Great Hall, Ironworks, Navigator, Potion, and Witch
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/04/game-20120704-191601-d8b5d6e9.html
Boy was I ever happy to see this board from first player position. Crossroads, Ironworks, Gardens, Great Hall is a pretty huge four-card combo, and these sort of rush games tend to hugely favour 1st player. We both see the obvious combo and open Ironworks/Crossroads. We each pick up 3 Ironworks and then I start the rush. I get lucky and win the Gardens split 5/3 (though Great Halls are down the middle). At this point I think Rhombus should have tried to step back and get a Duchy or two and try and come back that way, but instead he starts going for Estates, which is a lost cause as it just helps me end the game while ahead. I'm not sure if Rhombus would have had much of a chance, but I think it would have been a better strategy. Anyhow after numerous drawn out dull end games it was a nice feeling to play such a fast clean game.

GGs Rhombus and best of luck in the rest of the tournament.

[edit: Fixed some ugly writing for clarity. I shouldn't write these things when I'm tired.]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:24:33 pm by Jorbles »

Wizard of Woz

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2012, 03:18:25 pm »

Thanks to JVB for some good games. 

The last two were tough for me.  As I recall, I went for Universities due to not getting 3p in a hand for quite a while.  In both games I feel I had some really slow draws and got behind early.  JVB was too good to make up the deficit, and so I was stuck trying silly things and hoping... Never a good strategy.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2012, 03:25:56 pm »

DG 3 : 2 Robz888

Game 1 : young witch/warehouse in small chapel game http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-111043-726041b1.html
Game 2 : young witch/warehouse in big king's court game http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-113230-bc65b1a9.html
Game 3 : masquerade fool's gold http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-114210-5d8ef84a.html
Game 4 : bit of everything game http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-115635-f1902cbf.html
Game 5 : ghost ships vs goons http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-120548-5e10052c.html

We generally went through different strategies for these. Game 1 We both started with chapel but Rob went with baron/warehouse for a fast start and I took a bit longer to build a massive 3 card 'engine'. Game 2 I probably bought the develop a touch early and Rob got into the 5 cost cards earlier with a sensible wharf/king's court treasure thing. I decided to try a tactician vault thing for difference and was close to a result. Game 3 I had to choose from 4 fool's gold and a worker's village to pass to my opponent with masquerade, just after the fool's gold pile had been split. I handed over the village which was probably wrong but it probably didn't make much difference. Game 4 was a peculiar affair where we sort of trashed down but couldn't draw well and attacked each other and split key cards and ended up with dodgy possessions and swindles. Interesting but maybe only to ourselves since we tried strategies that didn't have enough hand size to succeed. Game 5 was more straightforward since I took ghost ships, Rob took goons, and even the philosopher's stone couldn't rescue the goons.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2012, 04:51:05 pm »

andwilk 3-0 BadAssMutha

Game 1: andwilk 36-33 BadAssMutha (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-125752-b43521d6.html)
Similar stategies... Margrave engine.  We both popped our TMs at basically the same time as well.  His Smugglers was gaining him a decent amount of useful cards but I started to green earlier than him and that was the difference (I opened up a 3-0 Province lead by turn 13).

Game 2: BadAssMutha 23-36 andwilk (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-130709-846b9a12.html)
I was pretty confident about this one from the start when he opened with a Sea Hag with Masquerade available.  I successfully navigate the Curses and win comfortably.

Game 3: BadAssMutha 31-39 andwilk (http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201207/05/game-20120705-131810-f33e68eb.html)
I didn't think I deserved this one... it was basically a race to see who could get the last Province and dodge Swindler long enough.  His economy was better than mine, but I was still able to eke out the win.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 20 queries.