Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: How to get around "verification failed"  (Read 12807 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: How to get around "verification failed"
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 12:37:53 pm »

I find it's not very broken except with certain cards (like Wishing Well). In games without it, and even without a point counter at all, I find I play the same way. This might not be true for other players, but I'm just giving my own anecdotal evidence.
I would play the same, basically, but it takes me extra effort to keep track of that stuff. Like, I KNOW that stuff, but it takes me effort to track it, which I of course do. Unless you're saying that it actually tells you what's left in the draw decks? In which case that really is broken and messed up. And yeah, it would have you playing a LOT differently. Or at least it would me.

And in all fairness, a point counter itself is "cheating." This DOES give you more information (a quick reference to how many duchies, total cards, unique cards, etc.) than a point counter, but I don't know that it's really that much worse of a crime than a point counter in itself.
Yup. And I agree, that the point counter itself is cheating, unless both players agree to it, in which case who cares? But more cheating is worse than less.

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »

And in all fairness, a point counter itself is "cheating." This DOES give you more information (a quick reference to how many duchies, total cards, unique cards, etc.) than a point counter, but I don't know that it's really that much worse of a crime than a point counter in itself.

a point counter is not cheating.  a point counter would be a variant, per Donald X's own words.  Donald has repeatedly stated that variants are acceptable so long as both players agree to the conditions beforehand.  this last point is where these detailed point counters become an issue.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:03 pm »

Unless you're saying that it actually tells you what's left in the draw decks? In which case that really is broken and messed up.

It does not do this.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 12:42:50 pm »

This thread is preemptively locked.

Consider yourself on notice that the unofficial "point counter extension" can count much more than points.  Some think this is cheating, some think this is unethical, some think this is both, some think this is neither.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.