Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 4 player anyone?  (Read 3693 times)

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
4 player anyone?
« on: June 24, 2012, 12:44:00 am »

I've been playing some 4p auto match.  I wont say it's fun but it's interesting!  Anyone up for some practice?

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: 4 player anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:21:15 am »

Me!!! If you ever see me on iso., propose a 4 player with me, as I might have forgotten to check the box.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:36:00 am »

For the last week I have been clicking 3 & 4 player only (registered only)

If I click 2 as well I always get a 2p game. If I put in +/- 20 levels I never get anything.

I usually let it sit for a few minutes. Usually something comes up. If it doesn't I go back to looking for 2p.

It would be great if more top players did something similar. I know losing in 4p to level 10s (pretty common) is doing nothing for my rank...

3/4p really is a different game. I actually am beginning to think the game is more balanced with 3/4 players (if more random). Some of the game breaking cards get fixed with multi player (minion, fools gold) and some of the useless cards become useful (thief, pirate ship, jester)

Finally there are a lot more tactics in 3/4p. You have to adjust your strategy a LOT more based on what others are doing and what you think they ate going to do.

Ed

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 12:15:23 pm »

I wouldn't know, but I think its totally hasslesome to find 2 or 3 other played (through not automatching).   Perhaps the community should begin to have their... blue tag line say that they are automatching 3P-4P so others know there is a game possibly at the ready?  Just a thought, I have no idea the state of the multi-player scene

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »

I should probably expand my automatch criteria to +-20 so I have a better chance of hitting multiplayer games.  And also give 4p a shot again.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 08:02:18 pm »

useless cards (jester)
Wait, what?

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:23 am »

useless cards (jester)
Wait, what?

Yeah, Jester isn't quite a power card in 2p, but it's still often quite useful.  It's (somewhat obviously) best when you can make sure to either a) get a good card for yourself or b) hand out Curses.  Giving Copper and/or getting Silver is kinda weak for a $5 terminal Silver, but in games where that's unlikely, Jester is decent-to-strong.

Of course, in multiplayer it leads to emptying piles scary fast.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 05:27:50 pm »

For the last week I have been clicking 3 & 4 player only (registered only)

If I click 2 as well I always get a 2p game. If I put in +/- 20 levels I never get anything.

I usually let it sit for a few minutes. Usually something comes up. If it doesn't I go back to looking for 2p.

It would be great if more top players did something similar. I know losing in 4p to level 10s (pretty common) is doing nothing for my rank...

3/4p really is a different game. I actually am beginning to think the game is more balanced with 3/4 players (if more random). Some of the game breaking cards get fixed with multi player (minion, fools gold) and some of the useless cards become useful (thief, pirate ship, jester)

Finally there are a lot more tactics in 3/4p. You have to adjust your strategy a LOT more based on what others are doing and what you think they ate going to do.

Ed

I have to say that I love to see all the posts across multiple threads about how no one feels comfortable with 3-, 4-player. Maybe it is a little shared misery, but since I play a lot of IRL games, 5- and 6-player games are actually more common than 2-player games with my group, and 3-, 4-player is the norm. So when I try to play on iso like I do IRL, I lose. When I try to play IRL like f.DS suggests, I lose (though, not nearly as much as the other way around - courtyard BM is still awesome). I don't have any of the answers yet, but I do think 3-, and 4-player is a lot of fun, if perhaps a little more seating and shuffling influenced.

edit: I cannot spell, it would seem.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:35:16 pm by clb »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »

I quite like 3p (though not as much as 2p). I don't really care for 4p.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 20 queries.