Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Golem-Mountebank: did I play this right?  (Read 2119 times)

Auroch

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Golem-Mountebank: did I play this right?
« on: June 15, 2011, 01:31:26 am »

Game Log: Colony game, with a board of Contraband, Embargo, Golem, Hoard, Loan, Market, Mountebank, Nobles, Outpost, and Throne Room
(cards that seemed important to the strategies on the board marked)

My plan from turn 1 was to acquire two Mountebanks and some number of Golems and play the Mountebanks nearly every turn. My opponent did not seem terribly skilled, embargoing the Mountebanks once before and once after I bought my Mountebanks, and buying several Golems, Throne Rooms, Hoards, and Nobles.

I won on the tiebreaker in a 61-point dead heat, so I'm wondering what I could have done better and whether I judged this board well.

Specific points I considered deviating: Was it right to defy the Embargo on the Mountebanks? Should I have bought two, or stuck to one, and should the Embargo have been a deciding factor in that decision? Should I have aimed for a quick game ending on Provinces?

papaHav

• Navigator
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Re: Golem-Mountebank: did I play this right?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:39:25 am »

Link broken buddy =\

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 03:00:05 am »

It looks like you ramped up your buying power way too slowly. It's too much effort to trawl through what was actually in your deck through the game before it gets loaded into councilroom, but even at the very end of the game the average value of your 5 card hand was only just hitting $11.

Your opponent on the other hand had some hand expanders in the nobles, letting him compensate for his low average card value by just having more of them, and also markets to let him get multiple buys in when he got the money.

I think you would've been better served by getting a market and some nobles just as you were about to start your colony buys so that you could get some buying momentum.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 09:27:54 am »

The way I'd play it would be take a loan and silver, get a mountebank or two for an initial hit, then buy into golems, a hoard, nobles, maybe a market. The loan is useful since you have to expect your opponent to buy a mountebank, even though in this case they didn't. The choice of actions or drawing from the nobles seems even stronger when played by a golem and you might want a hoard before you start buying nobles. Loan/Embargo would be an interesting start too.

As a golem strategy, I'd suggest adding one +action card to your two mountebanks. This reduces the chance of bad draws as a golem+mountebank hand will now be able to play the golem and the mountebank, also a two golem hand has a chance of playing both and putting the deck into the discard pile.

Trying to expand your opponent's deck continually using mountebanks sometimes doesn't work. You reach saturation levels where a curse gets discarded every turn, although in this case you were getting double mountebank turns. Most of the damage is done through one two very early hits so taking the golem before the mountebank skipped that early damage.

Hoards can play through this sort of game where a draw of {gold, copper, copper, copper, curse} can buy a noble or duchy. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 20 queries.