Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hilarious Dominion "review" at BGG  (Read 6795 times)

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
Hilarious Dominion "review" at BGG
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:44:55 am »
+6

I'm 99.8% confident this "deconstruction" of Dominion as a Marxist allegory is tongue-in-cheek.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/819342/two-hopefully-novel-answers-to-questions-about-dom

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
Re: Hilarious Dominion "review" at BGG
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:26:33 pm »

If I remember correctly, this is done by one of the people who was a key member in the "What constitutes shuffling?" thread. And because I am quick to judge, I said to myself, "This Roberta Yang, she is probably such a total dweeb. I saw how she posted in that other thread. Only total losers do that!"

How wrong was I, how wrong was I. Much respect Roberta. Please, come to f.ds. Prove me wrong again.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:43:06 am »
+4

Oh yes.  Roberta's posts in that thread made it that much more epic.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:53:47 am »
+2

I saw how she posted in that other thread. Only total losers do that!"

Yo, thanks very much...  :'(

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 05:49:46 am »
+1

Roberta is the most entertaining poster on the BBG dominion threads.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:02:09 am »

If you liked that you may also like this review she wrote: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/739064/dear-ffg-please-please-please-start-actually-looki , a very harsh and very on-point criticism of FFG

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:04:41 am »

^ Theory, sadly, I don't know the company or the games she is talking about there and I don't want to get into neither, because I can derive from her criticism that it is not worth it. The funniest part for me is that she posted it in the reviews section.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:06:53 am by Nakamura »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:07:54 pm »
+2

^ Theory, sadly, I don't know the company or the games she is talking about there and I don't want to get into neither, because I can derive from her criticism that it is not worth it. The funniest part for me is that she posted it in the reviews section.

Fantasy Flight Games, the maker of many fine games.

She's critiquing an expansion for Mansions of Madness. I've not seen the expansion, but I can believe everything she's saying. I like the base game, but I can see problems with it. Actually, the rules aren't too bad. It's the scenarios. Some are good while others shouldn't see the light of day. In some cases, the Keeper has to hold back in order to not provide a miserable time for the players.

Still, I have to admire her no-bullshit review, which is also a statement that she is not going to accept bullshit either. She's speculating on how much playtesting was done, but she's right that a good playtest should consist of more than just one group. And she's probably right about the amount of playtest done, since she's pointing out glaring errors that should have been caught.

I believe Donald said something about how originally Dominion ended when the Duchies ran out. Imagine if that wasn't caught in playtesting. The game probably wouldn't be as popular as it is now.

I did get a chuckle reading her responses on the cheating thread.
A man has no signature

Ferrouswheel

• Baron
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:54 am »

So we await DXV'w word on the truth of this review.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 10:00:04 am »
+5

Still, I have to admire her no-bullshit review, which is also a statement that she is not going to accept bullshit either. She's speculating on how much playtesting was done, but she's right that a good playtest should consist of more than just one group. And she's probably right about the amount of playtest done, since she's pointing out glaring errors that should have been caught.

It is especially refreshing because the average BGG review goes something like this:

Here's a million pictures of each component and the box.

Here's my stupid resummary of the rules.

Here's pictures of us playing the game.

I liked it!  It was fun.  You would like this if you like [some random game that has nothing to do with this game].  I recommend buying it.

Followed by a dozen highly thumbed comments: "Good job!" "I agree!" "What a great game!" and the one negative comment gets hidden because it's not "constructive".

I mean look at some of the responses to her review.  "How dare you!"  "This is just a rant!"  "Who would ever want to read this?"  "This belongs in Sessions not Reviews."  There's no good place online to read why you wouldn't buy a game.

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 10:17:34 am »

If I remember correctly, this is done by one of the people who was a key member in the "What constitutes shuffling?" thread.
Can you provide a link to the "What constitutes shuffling" threat? I'd like to read it.

Tdog

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +133
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 11:00:41 am »

If I remember correctly, this is done by one of the people who was a key member in the "What constitutes shuffling?" thread.
Can you provide a link to the "What constitutes shuffling" threat? I'd like to read it.

I believe this is the thread being referred to. http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/816127/is-there-any-rules-problem-with-this-shady-tactic/page/1

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 08:41:45 am »

so sad that thread got locked!
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.