Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Green-only and yellow-only kingdoms  (Read 3143 times)

AJP82

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Green-only and yellow-only kingdoms
« on: June 20, 2012, 08:45:14 pm »

Two extreme hypotheticals that came up while I was discussing Dominion with the guy who first introduced me to it.

1. Optimal strategy or algorithm for a green-only kingdom. No other restrictions. Go.

There are (off the top of my head) 11 green kingdom cards, resulting in 11 possible kingdoms: Duke, Fairgrounds, Farmland, Gardens, Great Hall, Harem, Island, Nobles, Silk Road, Tunnel, Vineyard. Therefore, one of these clearly needs to be removed. IMO, the most likely candidates would seem to be Tunnel (for doing nothing) or Vineyard (for technically adding Potion to the game).

2. Optimal strategy for a yellow-only kingdom. No other restrictions. Go.

Bank, Cache, Contraband, Fool's Gold, Harem, Hoard, Horn of Plenty, Ill-Gotten Gains, Loan, Philosopher's Stone, Quarry, Royal Seal, Stash, Talisman, Venture. 15 cards, resulting in 3,003 possible kingdoms. For this, it seems to make sense to remove the not-so-functional Quarry, but 5 would need to be pulled. It would seem Cache, Hoard, Quarry, and Stash would be the least interesting to keep while Contraband and IGG would seem to have the most impact.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Green-only and yellow-only kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:28:56 pm »
+2

kingdom 1 - excluding vineyards as they will be worth 0 points. it's going to depend on the opponent - whoever gets more silk roads will win. i'd open silver/island, then draw island copper copper copper copper, then draw silver estate estate estate copper, then lose.

AJP82

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:18 pm »

kingdom 1 - excluding vineyards as they will be worth 0 points. it's going to depend on the opponent - whoever gets more silk roads will win. i'd open silver/island, then draw island copper copper copper copper, then draw silver estate estate estate copper, then lose.

That sounds like most of my games!

I should mention technically, Nobles, Great Halls, and Islands would count as actions, would they not?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:12 pm »

kingdom 1 - excluding vineyards as they will be worth 0 points.
Nobles and great halls say hi. But I also think this is the logical thing to get rid of.
it's going to depend on the opponent - whoever gets more silk roads will win. i'd open silver/island, then draw island copper copper copper copper, then draw silver estate estate estate copper, then lose.
Silk road will be key, unsurprisingly. But it's not so clear the optimal way to go after things....

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »
+2

kingdom 1 - excluding vineyards as they will be worth 0 points.
Nobles and great halls say hi. But I also think this is the logical thing to get rid of.

And Island says aloha!  :D

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:43:03 am »

Maybe try to get some economy going with Harems and switch over to Silk Roads once you have a few.
In a solitaire game you could just get all Harems first, Islands next and Silk Roads last.
Start off with an Island to get out an Estate.

For example: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-034135-9462176b.html

Not having +Buy makes it really slow, obviously.

In that game I had a lot of opportunities to buy a Province, but I just emptied the piles as fast as I could.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4385
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:44 am »

Maybe try to get some economy going with Harems and switch over to Silk Roads once you have a few.
In a solitaire game you could just get all Harems first, Islands next and Silk Roads last.
Start off with an Island to get out an Estate.

For example: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-034135-9462176b.html

Not having +Buy makes it really slow, obviously.

In that game I had a lot of opportunities to buy a Province, but I just emptied the piles as fast as I could.
Yeah, but this is a pretty terrible strategy when you have anyone competing with you.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:27:19 am »

I know, it's just a baseline.

These alt VP battles always seem like a case of "who blinks first" to me.
On one hand, you want to build up your economy a bit so you can buy better VP cards.
On the other hand, you really don't want to lose the Silk Road split.

I wonder if you can wait until your opponent dips in first, because you can then dip in as well immediately and kind of always get a 4-4 split.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:11:16 am »

$4 is way too low a bar and 8 cards too small a supply to build any kind of engine/trashing for. I'd buy silk roads with $4+s right off the bat, silvers with 3, coppers with 2-. After Silk Roads are gone: Harem with 6, Duchies/Dukes with 5, Islands with 4, Great halls with 3, coppers with 2-.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:16:07 am by Kahryl »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.