Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: How do you deal cards?  (Read 20287 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: How do you deal cards?
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 01:27:35 pm »

Because either you have some idea as to what cards are where, or you don't. Binary.
This I don't agree. Can you not have some idea about where are some of the cards? Say you have a deck with stashes, as a trivial example?

What I see you are saying is that you either know completely about a deck (not random), or you know it from partially to none (random). That is sure binary, but a rather useless statement.
No, you misread me. In that case where you know something, I'm saying it's not random. So either you know absolutely nothing about the deck (effectively random) or you know something about the deck (not random).

Going to the original discussion, different shuffle and dealing definitely matters. Different shuffle gives you different random distributions (which hopefully all converges to the uniform distribution if you shuffle infinitely many times), but with a finite number of shuffles probably some methods converge faster than the others.
No, this is the whole point. This doesn't give you different random distributions. It gives you different NOT random distributions.

Also depending on the game, we might not distinguish some ordering from others. Say in bridge, cards from 2 to 8 are not going to matter that much usually, but the suit always matters. Therefore, a shuffle/dealing that does not exchange positions of numbers in the same suit is more forgivable than a shuffle/dealing that does not exchange suits. In this particular game, since the cards in the same suit are more likely to be played together, it is beneficial to deal it one card at a time to compensate for insufficient shuffle.
Again, I don't think anything compensates for insufficient shuffling except for sufficient shuffling.

And the larger point, I maintain, is that the only important thing (for most games anyway; there may be some exception) is that people don't know which cards are where at all. If people don't know, you're good, if they do, you have a problem.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

No, you misread me. In that case where you know something, I'm saying it's not random. So either you know absolutely nothing about the deck (effectively random) or you know something about the deck (not random).
The story is, as I have experienced the last two pages, WanderingWinder has a extremly strict notion on "random", which basically means "uniformly random" for him.
Every other person I've met so far, including a lot of people working in probability theory, also call other distributions "random distribution". I'm a little bit curious where this strict notion comes from.
I also find this notion a little bit exhausting, because you basically can't speak about things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random, because you have to invent a new word to describe this state, but have two ("random" and "uniformly random") for "uniformly random".
As said, usually I would call things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random "random", because they are not deterministic.  And especially it is difficult to talk about why certain things might help shuffling, because all you want to talk about then is things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random-but-should-get-as-uniform-random-as-possible.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:54 pm »

The story is, as I have experienced the last two pages, WanderingWinder has a extremly strict notion on "random", which basically means "uniformly random" for him.
Every other person I've met so far, including a lot of people working in probability theory, also call other distributions "random distribution". I'm a little bit curious where this strict notion comes from.
I also find this notion a little bit exhausting, because you basically can't speak about things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random, because you have to invent a new word to describe this state, but have two ("random" and "uniformly random") for "uniformly random".
As said, usually I would call things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random "random", because they are not deterministic.  And especially it is difficult to talk about why certain things might help shuffling, because all you want to talk about then is things-that-are-not-deterministic-but-are-not-uniformly-random-but-should-get-as-uniform-random-as-possible.
Well, my problem goes back to the philosophical question - are there really things that aren't deterministic like that? Well, I think so, but they're effectively quite rare when we're talking about a physical process like shuffling, especially on a macroscopic scale.
I use the 'effectively random' label to talk about things which I know are deterministic, but which none of the pertinent actors are actually consciously determining. If that makes sense.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2012, 03:25:57 pm »

But in my opionion this philospophical question is quite offtopic, because wether the deck is "random" or not (and what exactly this means) is not the one you are more interested in when shuffling. What you are interested in is that your knowledge on the state of the deck (or what you can at maximum know about it, when you would think really hard), and this can be described as random distribution (not neccesarily uniform).

And that was what I wanted to talk about, but lost the motivation a bit...

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »

Sorry, but I don't see how this sentence means anything different from what I said as below:(aside from the claim that I made this distinction is useless)
What I see you are saying is that you either know completely about a deck (not random), or you know it from partially to none (random). That is sure binary, but a rather useless statement.
Ok I guess I need to elaborate.
By your definition, for a shuffled 52-card deck, if I somehow only know where SA is, is this random? I guess not.
How about that I only know SA is among the upper half 26 cards? I guess not.
Or if I only know that SA is next to SK? not random.
How about that I only know SA has a higher than usual probability let's say (25%) next to SK? still not random.
If you agree with my distinction here (which I assume so), then practically any hand-shuffled deck is not random. Even random generators in the strict sense does not generate random numbers. This distinction is thus useless.

(note that in the above discussion "random" means "uniformly random", as there is no ambiguity)

No, this is the whole point. This doesn't give you different random distributions. It gives you different NOT random distributions.
Now here the terminology changes. When you say "random" without further specifications, depending on context it can mean a few things, including a uniform distribution, as the above discussion. But when you say "random distributions" (especially when I have cited "uniform distribution" as a special kind of random distribution), in any scientific context I have seen, it just mean something can take certain values with certain probabilities. Come on, if you work in Physics you must know about expontential distribution, Gaussian, or Maxwell distributions right? They are all random distributions, but not uniform in any sense.

Again, I don't think anything compensates for insufficient shuffling except for sufficient shuffling.
Well, we can still play word games here. Sure, shuffle more is better. And probably I shouldn't use the word "compensate". But my point (and the question from the open post) is, ok, given insufficient shuffle, do different ways of dealing give different results? And the answer I think is yes, and in most cases dealing one card at a time will deal you hands which are statistically more likely from a uniform random distribution, for the purpose of the game.

Well, my problem goes back to the philosophical question - are there really things that aren't deterministic like that? Well, I think so, but they're effectively quite rare when we're talking about a physical process like shuffling, especially on a macroscopic scale.
I use the 'effectively random' label to talk about things which I know are deterministic, but which none of the pertinent actors are actually consciously determining. If that makes sense.
I don't think this has anything to do with the philosophical question-- and it is even not a philosophical question (unless you take the side saying everything is a philosophical question.)
For all practical random things we see in a game, they are actually all deterministic. When you throw a dice, which face ends up on top is completely determined by the initial and boundary conditions. The "randomness" comes about by both the sensitivity to the initial and boundary conditions, and the inability to control those conditions. For a shuffled deck it is similar; the deck once dealt is of course fixed. It is just that we neither control the precise way we shuffle nor remember the starting deck before shuffle so that we have no idea how it will order. The reason why both cases a uniform random distribution emerges is because all the factors that determine the outcome is somewhat insensitive to the spots of the dice or the numbers and drawings on the card so by symmetry we can deduce that if we shuffle long enough or when we throw the dice from high enough the outcome will be uniformly random.

This certainly has nothing to do with whether a Gaussian distribution is random or not random. This also has nothing to do with quantum mechanics and Copenhagen interpretation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »

Sorry, but I don't see how this sentence means anything different from what I said as below:(aside from the claim that I made this distinction is useless)
Ok I guess I need to elaborate.
By your definition, for a shuffled 52-card deck, if I somehow only know where SA is, is this random? I guess not.
How about that I only know SA is among the upper half 26 cards? I guess not.
Or if I only know that SA is next to SK? not random.
How about that I only know SA has a higher than usual probability let's say (25%) next to SK? still not random.
If you agree with my distinction here (which I assume so), then practically any hand-shuffled deck is not random. Even random generators in the strict sense does not generate random numbers. This distinction is thus useless.

(note that in the above discussion "random" means "uniformly random", as there is no ambiguity)
Okay. The stuff where you elaborate matches what I've been saying, though probably I am a little wrong here, and the 25% chance kind of situations are indeed random. The reason I resist saying this is because insofar as this matters for a card game, it is not sufficient to have it randomized to this extent - what is needed is the players having absolutely no idea about cards, their placement relative to each other, etc.
The big thing is, what you say in the quoted section above seems to me to be the opposite of what you say in the unquoted section. Maybe I was misunderstanding. But if the 'let me elaborate' stuff is how you understand, then your understanding of what I'm saying is right.

Now here the terminology changes. When you say "random" without further specifications, depending on context it can mean a few things, including a uniform distribution, as the above discussion. But when you say "random distributions" (especially when I have cited "uniform distribution" as a special kind of random distribution), in any scientific context I have seen, it just mean something can take certain values with certain probabilities. Come on, if you work in Physics you must know about expontential distribution, Gaussian, or Maxwell distributions right? They are all random distributions, but not uniform in any sense.
Well, you have thousands of kinds of distributions, and I in no way mean to imply that uniform is the only kind of random distribution in general. Insofar as a card deck is concerned though, it's the only meaningful one. Of course you can have other distributions, and whether they really are random or not IS in fact the philosophical question - there is a big question about about whether random number generators really are random or not, and you can say that's stupid, whatever, but I don't think it is, and there are lots of philosophers at universities who don't either. Now, I realize I'm weird, and that's fine, but it's not a settled thing and not just a 'come on, that's stupid' thing either.

Well, we can still play word games here. Sure, shuffle more is better. And probably I shouldn't use the word "compensate". But my point (and the question from the open post) is, ok, given insufficient shuffle, do different ways of dealing give different results? And the answer I think is yes, and in most cases dealing one card at a time will deal you hands which are statistically more likely from a uniform random distribution, for the purpose of the game.
Of course they give you different results! And my large point is this - these shuffling methods give you hands which more closely resemble VARIED hands, but people associate randomness with these varied hands, when randomness indeed gives you more clumped hands than people think. The same reason why if I ask a million people to come up with a random number between 1 and 1000, the numbers like 100, 200, etc. won't come up as often as they 'ought' to, because people don't think of these as 'random' numbers, just because they're round.

I don't think this has anything to do with the philosophical question-- and it is even not a philosophical question (unless you take the side saying everything is a philosophical question.)
For all practical random things we see in a game, they are actually all deterministic. When you throw a dice, which face ends up on top is completely determined by the initial and boundary conditions. The "randomness" comes about by both the sensitivity to the initial and boundary conditions, and the inability to control those conditions. For a shuffled deck it is similar; the deck once dealt is of course fixed. It is just that we neither control the precise way we shuffle nor remember the starting deck before shuffle so that we have no idea how it will order. The reason why both cases a uniform random distribution emerges is because all the factors that determine the outcome is somewhat insensitive to the spots of the dice or the numbers and drawings on the card so by symmetry we can deduce that if we shuffle long enough or when we throw the dice from high enough the outcome will be uniformly random.

This certainly has nothing to do with whether a Gaussian distribution is random or not random. This also has nothing to do with quantum mechanics and Copenhagen interpretation.
1. Who said anything about a Gaussian distribution?
2. It does have something to do with quantum mechanics and the Copenhagen interpretation, because Copenhagen will tell you that the first thing, which you take for granted, about things being deterministic, is in fact wrong, and you actually CAN get things which are TRULY random. Of course this is impractical, but I never tried to bring this up as an actual practical consideration, only in the philosophical realm.

Again, my larger point is that it's not really a uniform distribution that emerges, but the important thing is that the people playing can't tell the difference between the actual distribution and the truly uniform distribution, that people can't predict the distribution better than by guessing how they would via a uniform distribution of the cards. And what I am saying regarding shuffling here is that stacking the cards in some particular way does not help achieve this goal at all. How you shuffle thereafter, how non-standardized your shuffling pattern is, how long you shuffle, etc. WILL help achieve this goal, but stacking the similar cards does not, because it doesn't actually make your guessing of the thing closer to random, but rather you replace your rough ability to estimate that SK and SA are near to each other with a rough ability to estimate that they're far apart.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2012, 06:13:51 pm »
+1

I think DStu and I understand each other pretty well. Less sure you do. Most of all, don't think it matters too much at this point.
Ah, I was confused.  Thanks for clearing that up!

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2012, 07:55:50 pm »

The big thing is, what you say in the quoted section above seems to me to be the opposite of what you say in the unquoted section.
Sorry, apparently a hole in my brain or at least in my writing there. I meant either you know completely or partially about a deck (not random), or none (random).

Of course you can have other distributions, and whether they really are random or not IS in fact the philosophical question - there is a big question about about whether random number generators really are random or not, and you can say that's stupid, whatever, but I don't think it is, and there are lots of philosophers at universities who don't either. Now, I realize I'm weird, and that's fine, but it's not a settled thing and not just a 'come on, that's stupid' thing either.

I have no intention saying anyone is stupid or implying so, but I don't understand this stuff. For the question whether random number generators really are random or not, I don't see how this can be a philosophical question. For any random number generator, given the same seed it will always generate the same sequence of numbers. The "randomness" of the random number generator is measured by different correlations within that sequence of numbers, for every given seed. Thus random number generators, at conceptual levels are not random. At technical levels you can measure how "random" it is. And how to build a good random number generator can be a good research problem. Don't see from any aspect can this be a philosophical question.

Of course they give you different results! And my large point is this - these shuffling methods give you hands which more closely resemble VARIED hands, but people associate randomness with these varied hands, when randomness indeed gives you more clumped hands than people think. The same reason why if I ask a million people to come up with a random number between 1 and 1000, the numbers like 100, 200, etc. won't come up as often as they 'ought' to, because people don't think of these as 'random' numbers, just because they're round.
This I agree, but I don't see people arguing on the opposite side in this thread...
And in the case we are interested, given some insufficient shuffle, dealing 13 cards at a time will tend to deal out more clumped hands than random, while dealing 1 card at a time my tend to deal out more varied hands than random. But I still think the degree of "more varied" is less than the degree of "more clumped." See David's reply in BGG's thread for a related example. (It is stacking your deck before shuffle whereas here I am talking about dealing. But I believe the effect is similar.)

2. It does have something to do with quantum mechanics and the Copenhagen interpretation, because Copenhagen will tell you that the first thing, which you take for granted, about things being deterministic, is in fact wrong, and you actually CAN get things which are TRULY random. Of course this is impractical, but I never tried to bring this up as an actual practical consideration, only in the philosophical realm.
No. The evolution in quantum mechanics is deterministic, but measurements from a deterministic state can give random results. The Copenhagen interpretation is a philosophical way trying to explain why measurements themselves are NOT described by evolution in quantum mechanics. This is an outdated argument anyway, as modern theories understand measurement as disentanglement via environment.

Nevertheless, there are intrinsic randomness in quantum mechanics (unless you are A T'hooft...). This has nothing to do with our present discussion however, due to the fact that quantum mechanical random fluctuations are suppressed by thermal (high energy) and statistical (large number of degrees of freedom) fluctuations. So in an effective theory describe dice throwing and shuffling there is effectively no intrinsic randomness. Researchwise I believe it is an interesting topic trying to find instances where the "quantumness" can survive at higher temperature.

And what I am saying regarding shuffling here is that stacking the cards in some particular way does not help achieve this goal at all. How you shuffle thereafter, how non-standardized your shuffling pattern is, how long you shuffle, etc. WILL help achieve this goal, but stacking the similar cards does not, because it doesn't actually make your guessing of the thing closer to random, but rather you replace your rough ability to estimate that SK and SA are near to each other with a rough ability to estimate that they're far apart.
Having some hard time grasping what you are saying. But I think what you mean is that if you stack the cards, you replace one not-so-random distribution by another. Sure, but my point is that there is one which is closer to the uniform distribution. For example, suppose you deliberately keep SA and SK far away when you stack them. Let's say you therefore reduce the chance for them to be together from the uniform distribution case (~4%) to 3%. If you don't put them far away when you see they are next to each other, then they will have a much higher chance of being together ~25% as opposed to how they should be. (~4%) It is obvious to me that the former is closer to uniform distribution and is therefore better.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2012, 08:44:52 pm »

Of course you can have other distributions, and whether they really are random or not IS in fact the philosophical question - there is a big question about about whether random number generators really are random or not, and you can say that's stupid, whatever, but I don't think it is, and there are lots of philosophers at universities who don't either. Now, I realize I'm weird, and that's fine, but it's not a settled thing and not just a 'come on, that's stupid' thing either.

I have no intention saying anyone is stupid or implying so, but I don't understand this stuff. For the question whether random number generators really are random or not, I don't see how this can be a philosophical question. For any random number generator, given the same seed it will always generate the same sequence of numbers. The "randomness" of the random number generator is measured by different correlations within that sequence of numbers, for every given seed. Thus random number generators, at conceptual levels are not random. At technical levels you can measure how "random" it is. And how to build a good random number generator can be a good research problem. Don't see from any aspect can this be a philosophical question.
There are a number of ways of generating random numbers without specific seeds that you just give it. Largely, they're still algorithmic around some kind of seed, but the point is whether the seed is or is not random. Practically, people tend not to use random number generators that are very based on this. But occasionally there's some entropic stuff going on, or taking a bit which has its state determined by quantum-level fluctuations, at least in hypotheticals. Which is generally what philosophical discussions (at least the ones I have) are - the specific instances are unimportant, because there can be loopholes out. Platonists (and these are very much Platonic discussions) care more about the general, the essence, the form. So ok, you don't see it, it's there; as you don't care about it, I really see no reason to try to force you to understand my viewpoint here. So I'm not going to.

This I agree, but I don't see people arguing on the opposite side in this thread...
And in the case we are interested, given some insufficient shuffle, dealing 13 cards at a time will tend to deal out more clumped hands than random,
iff the cards were originally more clumped, but I take your point.
while dealing 1 card at a time my tend to deal out more varied hands than random. But I still think the degree of "more varied" is less than the degree of "more clumped." See David's reply in BGG's thread for a related example. (It is stacking your deck before shuffle whereas here I am talking about dealing. But I believe the effect is similar.)
Okay, read his thing, and obviously there's nothing factually wrong there. As I said earlier in the thread, I reject the distance metric, but I also understand that it's eminently plausible, and from a practical standpoint, I won't bother to argue against it. But I don't see what that has to do with the varied vs. clumped thing. A varied deck and a clumped deck can't be compared to what he's talking about, because he isn't talking about deck orderings - he's talking about randomization processes. These are two entirely different animals. Any particular ordering of the cards does not have a distance form the uniform distribution, because the uniform distribution is not an actual ordered deck of cards. The process of shuffling can be modeled as producing a probabilistic distribution of the cards in the deck, and this probabilistic model can then be compared to the uniform distribution. Hence you have to compare the shuffling process to get your distance metric, not any particular deck.
I have a feeling that ^^that paragraph is confusingly written. Can someone who understands it (if anyone does...) rephrase it more clearly for me?

No. The evolution in quantum mechanics is deterministic,
No. No it's not. It's probabilistic.
but measurements from a deterministic state can give random results. The Copenhagen interpretation is a philosophical way trying to explain why measurements themselves are NOT described by evolution in quantum mechanics. This is an outdated argument anyway,
It's still the most popular one, though now it may only have a plurality rather than a majority of followers.
as modern theories understand measurement as disentanglement via environment.

Nevertheless, there are intrinsic randomness in quantum mechanics (unless you are A T'hooft...).
I'm not a T'hooft per se, but I don't believe in intrinsic randomness in the universe. Or, in fact, true randomness at all. Which may be part of the problem here?

This has nothing to do with our present discussion however, due to the fact that quantum mechanical random fluctuations are suppressed by thermal (high energy) and statistical (large number of degrees of freedom) fluctuations. So in an effective theory describe dice throwing and shuffling there is effectively no intrinsic randomness.
I assume by 'effectively' you mean to just ignore the incredibly small influence that the supposed quantum effects would have on a macroscopic scale, which, while not zero, is so insanely small that it largely is ignored. In which case, yeah, ok, I have been saying this since the beginning.
Researchwise I believe it is an interesting topic trying to find instances where the "quantumness" can survive at higher temperature.
And I don't. But whatever, we can have different interests, and this is increasingly divergent from the topic.

And what I am saying regarding shuffling here is that stacking the cards in some particular way does not help achieve this goal at all. How you shuffle thereafter, how non-standardized your shuffling pattern is, how long you shuffle, etc. WILL help achieve this goal, but stacking the similar cards does not, because it doesn't actually make your guessing of the thing closer to random, but rather you replace your rough ability to estimate that SK and SA are near to each other with a rough ability to estimate that they're far apart.
Having some hard time grasping what you are saying. But I think what you mean is that if you stack the cards, you replace one not-so-random distribution by another. Sure, but my point is that there is one which is closer to the uniform distribution. For example, suppose you deliberately keep SA and SK far away when you stack them. Let's say you therefore reduce the chance for them to be together from the uniform distribution case (~4%) to 3%. If you don't put them far away when you see they are next to each other, then they will have a much higher chance of being together ~25% as opposed to how they should be. (~4%) It is obvious to me that the former is closer to uniform distribution and is therefore better.

What is obvious to you is obviously wrong to me, cf. the paragraph I've written and labelled as confusingly written above.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:22 pm »

There are a number of ways of generating random numbers without specific seeds that you just give it. Largely, they're still algorithmic around some kind of seed, but the point is whether the seed is or is not random. Practically, people tend not to use random number generators that are very based on this. But occasionally there's some entropic stuff going on, or taking a bit which has its state determined by quantum-level fluctuations, at least in hypotheticals. Which is generally what philosophical discussions (at least the ones I have) are - the specific instances are unimportant, because there can be loopholes out. Platonists (and these are very much Platonic discussions) care more about the general, the essence, the form. So ok, you don't see it, it's there; as you don't care about it, I really see no reason to try to force you to understand my viewpoint here. So I'm not going to.
\
Please elaborate. I am interested. Sorry if I say so, but right now I feel it's like a few random opaque words throwing together to create some philosophical atmosphere.

Specifically: a few questions and comments:
 --a very common seed I know used in programming is time. It is not random at all. The random thing is that the sequence of the numbers bears no relation to the value of the seed.
--Sure you can attempt to use quantum-level fluctuations to create a theoretical real random number generator-- but is there anything philosophical about this?
--entropic stuff? What do you mean?
the specific instances are unimportant, because there can be loopholes out. Platonists (and these are very much Platonic discussions) care more about the general, the essence, the form.
And what are you talking about here? Can you be more specific and how is it related to things you said before it anyway?

But I don't see what that has to do with the varied vs. clumped thing. A varied deck and a clumped deck can't be compared to what he's talking about, because he isn't talking about deck orderings - he's talking about randomization processes. These are two entirely different animals. Any particular ordering of the cards does not have a distance form the uniform distribution, because the uniform distribution is not an actual ordered deck of cards. The process of shuffling can be modeled as producing a probabilistic distribution of the cards in the deck, and this probabilistic model can then be compared to the uniform distribution. Hence you have to compare the shuffling process to get your distance metric, not any particular deck.
I have a feeling that ^^that paragraph is confusingly written. Can someone who understands it (if anyone does...) rephrase it more clearly for me?
I think you are wrong here. What we are discussing is to stack the deck before you shuffle or how you deal after you shuffle, which is defining a randomization process, and will result in some random distribution. Any particular shuffle will create a single instance, but the distribution describes the statistics of the deck resulting from using the same procedure again and again. And what I am arguing here is that to declump the cards before you shuffle or to deal cards one by one to each player can result in a randomization procedure which results in a distribution closer to the uniform distribution than say, not do anything or to deal 13 cards at a time. And I thought what you were saying is you disagree. If you are talking about a single instance, a single known deck, I am not sure I understand what you are talking about at all.

It's not. Given an initial state |\psi>, after time t it becomes exp(iHt)|\psi>. Nothing probabilistic here. The only probabilistic thing is when you measure an observable O, the resulting state will be one of the eigenstate of O, with probability proportional to the absolute value squared of the inner product between that eigenstate and the current state |\psi>.

It's still the most popular one
Most popular in common literature, maybe?

What is obvious to you is obviously wrong to me, cf. the paragraph I've written and labelled as confusingly written above.
Trying to see how can this be obviously wrong to you, but failed. If you wish you can explain.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 11:04:07 pm »

\
Please elaborate. I am interested. Sorry if I say so, but right now I feel it's like a few random opaque words throwing together to create some philosophical atmosphere.

Specifically: a few questions and comments:
 --a very common seed I know used in programming is time. It is not random at all. The random thing is that the sequence of the numbers bears no relation to the value of the seed.
--Sure you can attempt to use quantum-level fluctuations to create a theoretical real random number generator-- but is there anything philosophical about this?
--entropic stuff? What do you mean?
the specific instances are unimportant, because there can be loopholes out. Platonists (and these are very much Platonic discussions) care more about the general, the essence, the form.
And what are you talking about here? Can you be more specific and how is it related to things you said before it anyway?
Sorry, not going to. Tired of this topic anyway, and I don't think there's any progress to be made at this point.
But I don't see what that has to do with the varied vs. clumped thing. A varied deck and a clumped deck can't be compared to what he's talking about, because he isn't talking about deck orderings - he's talking about randomization processes. These are two entirely different animals. Any particular ordering of the cards does not have a distance form the uniform distribution, because the uniform distribution is not an actual ordered deck of cards. The process of shuffling can be modeled as producing a probabilistic distribution of the cards in the deck, and this probabilistic model can then be compared to the uniform distribution. Hence you have to compare the shuffling process to get your distance metric, not any particular deck.
I think you are wrong here. What we are discussing is to stack the deck before you shuffle or how you deal after you shuffle, which is defining a randomization process, and will result in some random distribution. Any particular shuffle will create a single instance, but the distribution describes the statistics of the deck resulting from using the same procedure again and again. And what I am arguing here is that to declump the cards before you shuffle or to deal cards one by one to each player can result in a randomization procedure which results in a distribution closer to the uniform distribution than say, not do anything or to deal 13 cards at a time. And I thought what you were saying is you disagree. If you are talking about a single instance, a single known deck, I am not sure I understand what you are talking about at all.

Great. That's not what I thought you were talking about. No rel disagreements here, just some doubts. I'm not so sure as you are that you're right. But I don't have a huge particular reason that you're wrong. In any case, I think the effect is small with sufficient shuffling, and doesn't do much if anything to change how much shuffling is sufficient. I would guess.

It's not. Given an initial state |\psi>, after time t it becomes exp(iHt)|\psi>. Nothing probabilistic here. The only probabilistic thing is when you measure an observable O, the resulting state will be one of the eigenstate of O, with probability proportional to the absolute value squared of the inner product between that eigenstate and the current state |\psi>.
This somewhat vaguely-written (possibly your English-as-second-language doesn't help you here) chunk of text does not demonstrate to me that you understand quantum. Of course, I could be the wrong one. I certainly wouldn't try to say I understand quantum either. At any rate, I hate quantum, and tend to try to not refer to it except: 1) with a couple of specific close personal friends or 2) derisively. So I'd rather not get in this big discussion. As you're the only one who really cares about it here, I'll just defer. Like, to my understanding, what you're saying is wrong, but I so don't care, that I'm fine with that being accepted; especially as I believe my own understanding to be incorrect.
It's still the most popular one
Most popular in common literature, maybe?
I can't see a reasonable definition by which it's not the most popular. What definition would you use, and what interpretation is more popular.
Trying to see how can this be obviously wrong to you, but failed. If you wish you can explain.
[/quote]
I was trying to see how it could be obvious to you, and I failed as well. But hey, you know, I don't wish. I'm just tired of this thread by this point.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »

This somewhat vaguely-written (possibly your English-as-second-language doesn't help you here) chunk of text does not demonstrate to me that you understand quantum. Of course, I could be the wrong one. I certainly wouldn't try to say I understand quantum either. At any rate, I hate quantum, and tend to try to not refer to it except: 1) with a couple of specific close personal friends or 2) derisively. So I'd rather not get in this big discussion. As you're the only one who really cares about it here, I'll just defer. Like, to my understanding, what you're saying is wrong, but I so don't care, that I'm fine with that being accepted; especially as I believe my own understanding to be incorrect.
It is not the problem of my English. In fact I think these few sentences are probably among the most accurate things I have said in this thread. Unfortunately while it is precise, it is not clear. It could only demonstrate to you that I know (can't say understand!) quantum mechanics if you also know about it (which I thought you do). In any rate, if you have taken a modern undergrad level quantum class you will have a perfect idea what I am talking about. Yeah, but you said you hate it so I guess that's okay.

I can't see a reasonable definition by which it's not the most popular. What definition would you use, and what interpretation is more popular.

I was expecting popularity among physicists. I imagine the disentanglement from environment causing the measurement process to lose unitarity and become random is the dominant point of view nowadays. People also talk about multiverse too, but more from a sci-fi perspective.

I was trying to see how it could be obvious to you, and I failed as well. But hey, you know, I don't wish. I'm just tired of this thread by this point.
At this point if I take your comments seriously, it must be my language problem. I was saying identical things to the above paragraph now you say you have no problem with. Maybe it is because I neglected to say "and then shuffle" after "stacking them"? Anyway I think we understand each other now.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:43:06 pm by timchen »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 11:38:52 pm »

Sorry, not going to. Tired of this topic anyway, and I don't think there's any progress to be made at this point.
Yeah, I thought there's not much to be explained too. At least nothing based on science and logic.

It is not the problem of my English. In fact I think these few sentences are probably among the most accurate things I have said in this thread. Unfortunately while it is precise, it is not clear. It could only demonstrate to you that I know (can't say understand!) quantum mechanics if you also know about it (which I thought you do). In any rate, if you have taken a modern undergrad level quantum class you will have a perfect idea what I am talking about. Yeah, but you said you hate it so I guess that's okay.

I was expecting popularity among physicists. I imagine the disentanglement from environment causing the measurement process to lose unitarity and become random is the dominant point of view nowadays. People also talk about multiverse too, but more from a sci-fi perspective.

At this point if I take your comments seriously, it must be my language problem. I was saying identical things to the above paragraph now you say you have no problem with. Maybe it is because I neglected to say "and then shuffle" after "stacking them"? Anyway I think we understand each other now.

There's really no need to insult me, or imply that by not wanting to continue the discussion, I must be wrong.
I really don't think we need another flame war.
Thanks.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 11:42:51 pm »

I am sorry. I'll edit.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 11:52:35 pm »

I don't see the point in editing. I'm not going to un-see it. I just don't much see the point in trying to bait me into an argument where it's very clear neither of us will win, especially as no one else cares, and as I'd said, I don't really care either. I mean, the problem I have isn't with your statement, really- that's just a symptom- and it's not really with the theory, because that just doesn't really matter; it's with the confrontational attitude.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2012, 12:08:05 am »

I don't see the point in editing. I'm not going to un-see it. I just don't much see the point in trying to bait me into an argument where it's very clear neither of us will win, especially as no one else cares, and as I'd said, I don't really care either. I mean, the problem I have isn't with your statement, really- that's just a symptom- and it's not really with the theory, because that just doesn't really matter; it's with the confrontational attitude.
For the attitude, I am sorry. The reason why I edited is that I do want you to speak more on that particular subject, and this has nothing to do with whether anyone else is watching or not. Just really want to know what that philosophical question is. But if you take it as sort of a bait or an insult, that is not my original intent so I deleted it, and I am sorry about that. 

On the other hand, your attitude isn't exactly welcome, is it?
The most annoying part to me is this
comment on quantum mechanics. Clearly you have said blatantly something you later admit that you do not know well. And when I thought you knew well and said something rigorous (if short) then you start to question my English. For me, I never comment anything with authoritative tone unless I am 100% confident. For things I am less sure of you can always read the uncertain-ness in my post. Frankly speaking, I still feel my confrontational attitude is more justified than your cocky ones.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2012, 12:32:39 am »

Because it IS probabilistic, and I'm going to trust my professors, one of whom knew Schroedinger, and all the textbooks and everything I've read more than anything you could say. Now, I'm not trying to say I'm an expert here, and I have not claimed that. But I know experts, and the probabilistic thing is clear. Even if I totally disagree with QM kn a hundred philosophical reasons, which makes it a very hard thing to try to defend. So man, I'm not sure how you get cocky - I am genuinely bewildered - because at every step I am trying to hedge, trying to give you wiggle room, trying to give reasonable explanations for our misunderstandings or disagreements, but all you come back with is that I must be stupid. No dude, I'm just trying to not be an arrogant jerk, trying to give ways for the thing to be ended amicably, but you know, it's a fault of mine, but I have a big problem when somebody just keeps punching me and projecting his own godliness onto me. To be clear you almost never seem to display uncertainty, so given what you said above, I must assume you're certain about a great many things, so good for you.
Incidentally, the reason I know that I don't understand QM and you don't either is that all the leading experts on it almost uniformly state that NO ONE understands it. But I guess you might know better than them, so whatever.
At this point I am just so sick of the whole thing, I don't care if you say I'm as stupid as a lead ball. And as I've probably said too much already, this WILL be the last from me here.

timchen

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2012, 01:01:56 am »
+1

Because it IS probabilistic, and I'm going to trust my professors, one of whom knew Schroedinger, and all the textbooks and everything I've read more than anything you could say.
Well, I think I said pretty clearly that it is the measurement part which is probabilistic. The time evolution part is deterministic. If any of the people you mentioned think otherwise, well, I can't say it's impossible, but then they are wrong. But much more likely to me is that they will know perfectly what I am saying, and it is just you who don't know but still insist. But the point is not who is wrong or who is right. You know, if you think you are right, you should say why it is right, not just throwing names around it. And if you are not sure, you can just say you are not sure.

I am probably a little bit over-reactive on this part. I work on quantum physics, that's probably why.

I am genuinely bewildered - because at every step I am trying to hedge, trying to give you wiggle room, trying to give reasonable explanations for our misunderstandings or disagreements, but all you come back with is that I must be stupid.
On this part, maybe you did, but I don't want a compromise. Maybe that's the main problem of me. You know, I don't care that much who is right, but I want to have things done right. So if something I am certain I am right, and you didn't point anything wrong with it, I just cannot take the hedge in between. But seriously, I didn't think and didn't imply anything about your intelligence. In fact I think you are quite intelligent, but maybe a bit too um how to say, defensive? You know, discussing things with stupid people is not so fun anyway...

No dude, I'm just trying to not be an arrogant jerk, trying to give ways for the thing to be ended amicably, but you know, it's a fault of mine, but I have a big problem when somebody just keeps punching me and projecting his own godliness onto me. To be clear you almost never seem to display uncertainty, so given what you said above, I must assume you're certain about a great many things, so good for you.
Well, things I said in this thread I am indeed pretty certain. Not so much on other threads though... And please don't be sarcastic. I am certain about, really, very few things. But random ensembles and quantum mechanics are probably among the things I am a bit more familiar with. Especially on this forum, you clearly are more certain and better at relevant things (Dominion that is ;))

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2012, 04:57:35 am »
+2

Okay, read his thing, and obviously there's nothing factually wrong there. As I said earlier in the thread, I reject the distance metric, but I also understand that it's eminently plausible, and from a practical standpoint, I won't bother to argue against it. But I don't see what that has to do with the varied vs. clumped thing. A varied deck and a clumped deck can't be compared to what he's talking about, because he isn't talking about deck orderings - he's talking about randomization processes. These are two entirely different animals. Any particular ordering of the cards does not have a distance form the uniform distribution, because the uniform distribution is not an actual ordered deck of cards. The process of shuffling can be modeled as producing a probabilistic distribution of the cards in the deck, and this probabilistic model can then be compared to the uniform distribution. Hence you have to compare the shuffling process to get your distance metric, not any particular deck.

Actually, a deterministic state does also has a distance to the uniform distribution, because deterministic states are actually also random distribution that just happen to have all the mass on one certain point. The distance is just nearly 1 (or maybe 2, depending on how exactly it's defined...) given his metric.  Anyway...

I think the point is, when you want to describe how "good" a specific shuffling method is, you need some kind of distance decreases when the shuffling is "better". What "better" means is than obviously point to the modelling. But if you reject a metric, and only look at it binary, a deck is never shuffled, because with every human shuffling method, they are always both in some deterministic but unknown state, and your know (a bit) about them, because you can find out how human shuffling works, what it does with the cards and how likely they end up in which state.  That means in the context, your notation does not help you, because it will always tell you "it's not random", no matter what you do.
So I think rejecting the notion of a distance for probabilty measures, and/or rejecting to model the state of the deck with probability measure, just prevents you to analyze how good certain shuffling methods are. And then it's hard to talk about shuffling methods. And, to come back to the topic, the way how you deal cards can (or should in my opionion) be seen as one step in shuffling the deck.

I think I can kind of understand that probably, when e.g. coming with a Quantum-background, one likes to not call something-which-is-clearly-in-a-defined-state-you-just-don't-know "random", just for the purpose of talking about shuffling of decks calling shuffled decks deterministic is just as practical as using general relativity when talking about quarks. It is just the "wrong" effective model. (Where "wrong" means it does not help you to describe the important features of the considered object as well as another model).

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 20 queries.