Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Governor, Hamlet, Merchant Ship. I hate to open Hamlet buuut....  (Read 2246 times)

manda2014

• Baron
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/19/game-20120619-224743-185d86fd.html

Started with a 5/2 split and the only card worth 2 was Hamlet. Any suggestions on how I could have played this better?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Governor, Hamlet, Merchant Ship. I hate to open Hamlet buuut....
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:15:41 am »
+1

Militia/Governor looms large, although your opponent's Horse Traders dampen that slightly.  I have a bit of a blind spot with Governor, but my best guess is that you want to go hard for Governors and ignore the Merchant Ships because they can't be upgraded to anything useful in the late game.

It doesn't matter so much here because terminals aren't that important, but Hamlet on a 5/2 start is frequently an excellent buy.  It can sometimes be difficult knowing when you need to take the temporary hit and buy a Hamlet with more than $2 to spend, and picking up the +Buy early means you don't need to make that decision later on.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:01:51 am »

I agree.  If you're looking for another terminal action, Militia is nice. 

Also, I didn't see any "Trash a Gold, Gain a Province" turns with Governor.  That's my favorite Governor ability (though you have to watch out for defensive trashing; opponent with $4 or $7 cost cards converting to VP on your turn).  I am not an expert on the card, but I have found it effective use Governor to trash some golds late game for double (or more) provinces per turn.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:15:26 am »
+1

Using Governor to draw early on is very dangerous. This burns you on your Turn 6, where you give your opponent the $8 for a province, again the next turn, and again on Turn 12. In most cases, you want to use the Governor's +draw only if you can follow it up with Militia or as part of a megaturn; the extra card just helps your opponent too much otherwise.

The real power of Governor is its ability to gain a bunch of Gold and remodel those into Provinces; and the fact that one card, with no support, does both of those chores, which makes for a very quick game.

Hamlet is a great start for the second half of a 5/2 split. You'll probably only use it once or twice, but Governor decks will have a lot of money and the optional +buy reduces the chance that your would-be megaturn ends up with something embarrassing like $17 and one buy.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 01:53:12 am »

Militia/Governor looms large, although your opponent's Horse Traders dampen that slightly.
How? With Governor drawing, even the reaction ability will be useless.

"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 03:22:49 am »

It's not useless: if you ever find yourself Militia'ed with a 7 card hand and 2 Horse Traders then you still start your next turn with 7 cards (although 2 of them will be Horse Traders).  It's by no means a hard counter though.

Horse Traders are also handy against Governor because you can upgrade them to Duchies in the late game.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:13:37 am »

It's not useless: if you ever find yourself Militia'ed with a 7 card hand and 2 Horse Traders then you still start your next turn with 7 cards (although 2 of them will be Horse Traders).  It's by no means a hard counter though.

Horse Traders are also handy against Governor because you can upgrade them to Duchies in the late game.

2 horse traders in hand prior to militia results in a 5 card hand, no matter how big your handwas.

This boards is absolutely gov hamlet opening, with a militia kicker.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

2 horse traders in hand prior to militia results in a 5 card hand, no matter how big your handwas.

This boards is absolutely gov hamlet opening, with a militia kicker.
No, it's seven. HT and HT set aside, the three cards you get to keep, plus the two that you draw off the HTs.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:21:43 am »

Doh!  Bad at math early in the morning.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.