Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Which card is best for you?  (Read 11736 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Which card is best for you?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 09:36:41 pm »

My list makes a little sense, fairly even win rate with/without for all of them.

#1 - Grand Market, sure, why not?
#2 - Spy, hmm puzzling
#3 - Bureaucrat, someone has to get it right I suppose
#4 - Tactician, I overplay them but usually get away with it
#5 - Village, yeah especially when you look at #6
#6 - Mining Village

Rest of the top 10 make sense too
#7 - mountebank, yes curses
#8 - sea hag, yes curses please
#9 - young witch, oh look more curses
#10 - king's court
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:18:39 pm by DG »

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:31 pm »

My top5 winrate given availability:

Jack of all Trades
Mandarin
Black Market
Horse Traders
Lookout

My top5 effect with:

Bureaucrat (landslide win)
Curse
Copper
Mandarin
Vineyard

My only comment is lolMandarin.

WrathOfGlod

• Navigator
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 11:24:48 pm »

My top 5 cards
1. Menagerie: Love love this card, I buy it 91% of the time compared to 66% average
2. Goons: Don't buy it exceptionally often (93% to 87% average) but am able to control the end game really well with it average 19.6 turns to complete the game whether of not there are colonies compared to a 24 turn average
3 Highway: Surprisingly this is a card I seem to misjudge, I buy the card less than average but have a massive effect with (3.26) and a negative effect without
4.Black Market: Love picking up components to finish the deck
5. Chapel: Buy it more than average but have a higher effect without than effect with (2.5 to 1.9)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »

My top 5 are:
Duke: 1.46 winrate given available, gained 30% of games, winrate with 1.30, winrate without 1.53
Sea Hag: 1.46, 80%, 1.46, 1.46
Pearl Diver: 1.44,43%, 1.27, 1.56
Black Market: 1.41, 16%, 1.27, 1.56
Feast: 1.41, 18%, 1.30, 1.44

I seem to be good at not getting cards, especially black market (people buy that 68% of the games?) and Feast.
I really dont see how pearl diver can have such a huge impact on agame to get that high. Anyone got an explanation?

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 02:47:19 pm »

The stats merely look at if you won the game or lost the game and whether or not you gained the card.  They can't see if the card in question was the key card that caused you to win said game.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 04:31:11 am »

My top 10!

Tournament - No surprise here. I love this card, and think I play it very well. As I said in the other thread, I gain it 95.1% of the time.
Chancellor - This, on the other hand, does surprise me. I'm not sure what's up here; I gain it so infrequently (9.4%) that I don't know what it means. I don't think this is an overrated card, either.
Silk Road - Another favorite of mine. I love buying green cards way earlier than people think is reasonable.
Torturer - I gain this at exactly the same rate (65.9%) as the general populace. Perhaps I more aggressively pursue Torturer chains than others, who might try to do something clever when it's there? Don't know. I don't have particularly strong feelings about it.
Quarry - I hate this card. I gain it 29.2% of the time, half as frequently as the crowd's 60.7. Maybe that's it?
Secret Chamber - Hee hee hee! I do enjoy playing this card, though I apparently still buy it less than the average player. Click click click click click click click!
Envoy - Sure. I like big money Envoy, but apparently where my edge comes in is avoiding it; 2.09 effect without.
Fishing Village - I mean, I like it. I buy it about 90% of the time, like everyone else. I don't think of myself as a particularly strong engine player; maybe I'm good at hybrid strategies, and this is a linchpin of those.
Ironworks - See: #3 in this list.
Wharf - I buy this 90% of the time, which feels about right to me, though it's apparently significantly higher than average.

What do I learn here? I'm good when trashing isn't necessary.

Fascinating.

A few days later, and my top 10 is totally different:

Silk Road
Torturer
Fishing Village
Tournament
Ironworks
Envoy
Quarry
Secret Chamber
Young Witch
Wharf

Chancellor, my 2 spot, has dropped down to 11th, and another curser enters the fray. (Mostly, they're all just very close together: between 1.43 and 1.48 in win rate)
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2012, 08:46:41 am »

The stats merely look at if you won the game or lost the game and whether or not you gained the card.  They can't see if the card in question was the key card that caused you to win said game.

Yeah, but the number of games i win where pearl diver is in the game is significantly higher than when he isnt. So there seems to be a correlation

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »

Yeah, but the number of games i win where pearl diver is in the game is significantly higher than when he isnt. So there seems to be a correlation

Since you do so much better when you don't buy pearl diver than when you do, maybe your opponents tend to overbuy it. It's often a mistake, albeit not a huge one, to take two pearl divers over a silver, for example. Or maybe they buy pearl divers when relying on terminal draw, where the dead draws probably outweigh the pearl diver effect.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 05:30:44 pm »

Oh, just look at mine ! We are talking about personnals win rate with, right ?

1-5 :
My first one is, of c(o)urse, the evil Followers ! Basically, when someone gains this card, I win if and only if I gain it ! And it has a pretty low win rate
Followed (^^) by two seaside $4 terminal silvers : navigator (o_O I buy this so seldom... only if no other action that gives coins) and cutpurse (which is pretty harmful at the beginning, more often than you might buys. And after... it still gives $2).
Then, another prize : Trusty steed.
Then, and I don't believe it as I lost a moneylender game few days ago with it : cache !

6-10 :
6th is Pearl Diver ; why not, it's better in games with throne room, king's court, conspirators, peddlers and vineyards, and bane of young witch, otherwise I don't really know.
7th is Bag of Gold
8th is Fool's Gold ! I hate this card sooo much : why a treasure costing $2 would give you $4 ??? So... hurry to buy them, because your opponent won't wait !
9th is Princess ! Okay, the last prize, because I never understood the benefit of Diadem which is very low-ranked
And to close my top 10... Trade Route. Okay, why not... if it's the only trasher, sometimes I buy early estates and duchies only to raise their value while I trash cards, especially coppers !
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

iangoth

• Spy
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 06:17:05 pm »

Most people here prefer winrate given available as the measure of success with a card. It measures how well you do when the card is in the kingdom, whether you buy it or not, which is important since knowing when not to buy a card is half of playing the card well. Using winrate with also has the unfortunate side effect of making tournament prizes look like your best cards, because they're unique and very powerful. When you gain a strong prize (followers, mostly) you often gain a decisive advantage, and when you gain a weak/situational one, it's usually because you're very far ahead.

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

For me:

#1. Swindler
#2. Fishing Village
#3. Saboteur
#4. Contraband
#5. Hoard

Relative to the rest of these, I have strange cards, but I do like Swindler a lot.

AJP82

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 12:44:29 am »

Well, I think since my buying patterns are radically different than they were when I started, my stats are thrown off pretty heavily by what I bought as a beginner vs. what I buy now. But here are my top 10 "win rate given availability" and my buy rates for each (indicating those I win by ignoring as well, I'd imagine).

1. Ambassador, buys 1.61
2. Herbalist, buys 0.38
3. Rabble, buys 0.9
4. Bazaar, buys 2.34
5. Spice Merchant, buys 1.0
6. Possession, buys 0.44
7. Contraband, buys 0.17
8. Militia, buys 0.69
9. Young Witch, buys 1.18
10. Saboteur, buys 0.27

Only trend I'm seeing is that the ones I buy less often (and win in games with) seem to also be the most common "trap cards," incidentally the same sort (Saboteur being an exception) that I probably did buy plenty often when first starting out. So these seem to affect my rates mainly in that I win by ignoring them while my opponents presumably buy them.

Actually sort of unexpected on most of these, though. I was expecting Apprentice, Masquerade, Goons, Remake, Salvager, Bishop, and other cards I actually like to be on this list. And Bazaar is, well, bizarre, considering the only reason I ever buy it is because it's often the only +2 actions card.

DWetzel

• Conspirator
  • The Human Edge Case
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »

My top 5 given availablility:

Coppersmith -- which I have literally never bought in 64 games.  I acquired one once, I can only assume a Swindler was involved.
Upgrade -- which I buy more often than the average person, but in less quantity.  Not sure what that means.
Scout -- again, very rarely bought.
Jack of All Trades -- I buy it 93.5% of the time it's available, compared to a 54.5% for the general population.  I guess people undervalue it?
Ill-Gotten Gains -- seems standardish.  Population average buys is 1.7, mine is 3.42.

Second five are Cartographer, Courtyard, Tunnel, Remake, and Outpost.  Not sure what to make of those.

Top 5 "win rate with"... which one of these is not like the others?

Bag of Gold
Princess
Followers
Transmute
Trusty Steed

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 02:29:30 pm »

^^ Now, my best cards by win rate given availability :
->Philosopher's stone (Only buy it when no trashing and few draw...)
->Smugglers (I haaate this card so much)
->Familiar
->Monument
->Trade route (situational, too)
->Scout (another situational, I mostly buy them with victory cards from Intrigue)
->Cache (whyyy ?)
->Ambassador (though I don't like much those ambassador wars)
->Loan
->Mountebank
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »

My top ten cards by win rate given availability:

1. Governor
2. Fortune Teller
3. King's Court
4. Smugglers
5. Royal Seal
6. Merchant Ship
7. Mining Village
8. Trader, Nobles, Haven, Grand Market (tied, but ordered by decreasing uncertainty.)

Governor I'm not surprised; I like that guy. Fortune Teller I rarely buy, but maybe it's from ignoring it? King's Court I'm surprised at. I'm not good at KC mega-turns and will typically ignore it in Province games. Smugglers is a card I rarely buy while my opponents use it to pick up a few cards from me. Royal Seal I rarely buy, not sure why I'm so good with it on the board. Merchant Ship I like and will often pick up one or two. Mining Village I really like, especially as an early-game boost to 5 or 6. Trader I rarely buy, and have even come to hate. Nobles I sometimes like but often ignore. Haven I will use, but not optimally. I often set aside victory cards, basically as if I was just discarding. Grand Market I like, but I'm not great at getting them quickly.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.