Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Sanctum  (Read 1982 times)

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Sanctum
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:20:28 am »

Sanctum
Type: Action
Cost: $4

+1 Card, +1 Action
Set aside a card from your hand on the Sanctum mat, or return any number of cards from the Sanctum mat to your hand.

I'm thinking its a bit like Haven, a bit like Native Village, but with more control, so you can use it as a pseudo-trasher and to build megaturns.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Sanctum
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:13 pm »

->it is a cantrip pseudo-trasher (hide away your victory cards, just like Island does, and return them at the end)
->it is a powerful card-saver, too (set aside a chapel/some curses, when you have them on your mat, let's go !)
->it is much stronger than native village, you just don't imagine how it is far better, not only choosing the card, but also select which ones return to your hand !

Maybe without the option of choosing the cards you return, but only all in the same time, for megaturns, it would be more balanced, because it would change its use.
Or a "island cantrip" that sets aside a card which returns to your deck at the end, with +1 action +1 card
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:04:25 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:46:58 pm »

Asklepios

• Duke
  • Respect: +117
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

->it is a cantrip pseudo-trasher (hide away your victory cards, just like Island does, and return them at the end)
->it is a powerful card-saver, too (set aside a chapel/some curses, when you have them on your mat, let's go !)
->it is much stronger than native village, you just don't imagine how it is far better, not only choosing the card, but also select which ones return to your hand !

Maybe without the option of choosing the cards you return, but only all in the same time, for megaturns, it would be more balanced, because it would change its use.
Or a "island cantrip" that sets aside a card which returns to your deck at the end, with +1 action +1 card

Sure, but Native Village isn't a very good card even for its cost. I was looking not to have it be of equal strength to Native Village, but of equal strength to say something like Horse Traders or Smithy.

I think you may be right though - choosing which cards you return makes it a little too good. But thats the mechanic I'm looking at: hand control. If anything I'd rather see the same effect at a higher cost. Is it still a strong choice at $5?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 06:25:58 pm »

Sure, but Native Village isn't a very good card even for its cost. I was looking not to have it be of equal strength to Native Village, but of equal strength to say something like Horse Traders or Smithy.

I think you may be right though - choosing which cards you return makes it a little too good. But thats the mechanic I'm looking at: hand control. If anything I'd rather see the same effect at a higher cost. Is it still a strong choice at $5?

When I thought of the more-controlled NV variant, I thought it would be an extremely strong mechanic.  I imagine that being able to choose what to put away and what to return would be huge.

To mitigate the power, I did not give my card any regular draw (only +1 action), I did not allow setting aside Victory cards, and I limited the "return" to 2 cards max, which makes setting up a mega turn just a little more difficult.  I thought the card should still be costed at $5.  Your card is superior as it lacks all the restrictions I placed on mine.  The only advantage mine has is the reaction. 

Granted, I may have been vastly overvaluing the flexibility afforded.  I think it needs real testing to figure out.  I'd definitely try it at $5 first.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.