Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A fatal action puzzle  (Read 3266 times)

Aardvark

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
A fatal action puzzle
« on: July 16, 2011, 03:53:07 pm »

Suppose you play a 2p Dominion game (with all expansions). There are no pure "victory" cards (Gardens, Duke, Vineyards, Fairgrounds) among the 10 selected kingdom cards (nor in Black Market deck, in case there is any). You are ahead on victory points. You have 6 cards in the draw pile, and since you count the cards, you know those are all coppers.

You begin your turn with only one card in your hand (due to, say, opponent's Torturers, but that's not important). It is an action card and it's not a Golem. Out of boredom, you play this card, and before you do what is written on the card, you realize that this will be your last turn and that you will lose the game, no matter what you do after that play, no matter what cards are in your opponent's current hand and in his draw pile. (Assume that your opponent will end the game on his turn if he will be able to and if he will win.)

What was that action? What did happen? (So far I have found solutions with 2 different action cards)

Puzzle MKII: same story, but with only 2 cards in your hand - King's Court and an unknown action card (not a Golem). You KC that action, it will be your last turn and you will lose no matter what you do after you play the action. (4 different action cards solutions)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: A fatal action puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 04:32:56 pm »

one solution is upgrade, drawing a victory card, being forced to trash it and therefore the take the last card from a pile. (not if you draw a copper obviously^^)
another is forge (you have to take last curse, since you dont trash anything).
One more: Your opponent has 5 fishing villages in play. you play any attack card, he reveals 5 horsetraders (which happens before you execute the card). You see that he therefore will have at least 18 gold next turn and will be able to win.
Though i think durations in opponents play are probably not allowed, since 5 fishing villages would be enough on their own^^

Smugglers taking last curse
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:05:24 pm by Watno »

ARTjoMS

• Bishop
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:41:59 pm »

Smugglers-you gain a curse and finish 3rd pile (curses). Obviously you were leading with one VP and started the game.

Other solution probably is forge as suggested by watno[/spolier]

Puzzle MKII: smugglers+forge+ironworks,workshop (you got one of these via black market, and now are forced to finish piles. e.g. Estates and silvers are empty and you are forced to get last copper and last 2 curses )[/spolier]

Feast can gain duchies, so it is tad short for this.[/spolier]

When a friend of mine sees a girl he finds attractive, he remarks how he'd like to "Throne Room" or "King's Court" her.
- Axe Knight

''Especially regarding such an iconic (and somewhat infamous) name that is known as ARTjoMS.'' - shark_bait is boosting my ego.

drg

• Spy
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:45:34 pm »

It's not really an action card, but I believe horn of plenty could screw you over this way if there were no coppers left as well as the others.

Aardvark

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:27:56 am »

MKI: Forge or Smugglers, MKII: Forge or Smugglers or Ironworks or Workshop. First in the turn order, leading by one point. With the Ironworks solution, Ironworks (or Black Market) is also a pile with cards with cost<=4. So it will be something like (0 Estates, 0 Silver, 1 Copper, 1 IW, 1 Curse left, all other Kingdom cards cost 5+). Ditto for Workshop. But you got it all :). I didn't include HoP since it's not an action card, but it would work too.

Now I realize I made the text unnecessarily complicated. The second paragraph could read:

You begin your turn with only one card in your hand (due to, say, opponent's Torturers, but that's not important). It is an action card and it's not a Golem. Out of boredom, you play this card, and before you do what is written on the card, you realize that the game will end right after you finish your turn and you will lose the game, no matter what you do after that play, no matter what cards are in your opponent's current hand and in his draw pile. (Assume that your opponent will end the game on his turn if he will be able to and if he will win.)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:41:04 am »

<spoiler>
This is admittedly not in the spirit of the "no matter what is in his hand" part of the puzzle.

his deck is tiny, say due to your having played lots of saboteurs, and is so small that you could in fact deduce by the pigeonhole principle and his previous turn (say workers village, torturer, torturer, shows six coppers and a gold and two silvers, buys a province and a duchy, draws last five cards without a reshuffle) that he must have at least one curse and one copper. the card you played without thinking was masquerade; he ties you this turn by trashing his curse and wins the next by buying the last estate (which you can't afford)
</spoiler> <\spoiler>

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:45:45 am »

Better: he owns nine curses and a total of fourteen cards, and he played a fishing village on the previous turn. thus he must have at least one curse in hand and your copper guarantees him the estate buy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 05:43:33 am »

Everybody keeps mentioning Forge, but couldn't you just get a Copper instead of a Curse?

Smugglers I get.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Aardvark

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:05 am »

Everybody keeps mentioning Forge, but couldn't you just get a Copper instead of a Curse?

Smugglers I get.

Not if there are no coppers to get.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.