Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Round 2 Results Thread  (Read 28224 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Round 2 Results Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »
+1

Lekkit 2 - qmech 3

Lekkit 48 - qmech 37
Baron/Hunting Party.  I get Hunting Party over Gold, and consequently never get a double Hunting Party turn.

qmech 30 - Lekkit 39
Masquerade loses to Mountebank.  Cellar and Stables mean I get hit by far too much to cope with.

qmech 37 - Lekkit 24
Lekkit's Watchtowers do sterling work, but my Margraves eke out a win.

Lekkit 47 - qmech 52

Definitely the most interesting of the 5 games:
Cache, Counting House, Ill-Gotten Gains, Mint, Philosopher's Stone, Potion, Remake, Silk Road, Steward, Trade Route, and Vineyard
We both go IGG with fat Philosopher's Stones to grab Provinces.  Behind on Provinces, I just try and keep up on the other VP.  I find a Philosopher's Stone first, and am able to grab the last Province for a win.

Lekkit 26 - qmech 27
Another IGG set.  This one gets to the point where I'm 3 down and there's one copy each of Duchy, IGG and Curse remaining, with no Estates.  I buy the Duchy with no better prospects: Lekkit doesn't manage to hit $5 next turn, and I do.  These last two games could easily have gone the other way.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »
+1

My commentaries:

Game 1 - I go first, which is always good in a mirror match. My Baron hits on turn 4 while his doesn't, which gives me a Gold. We get a nice and even split of HPs which should work in my favour since I got a Gold and first player advantage. The game goes as expected under those circumstances and I manage to even nab the final Province while able to end the game on Estates as the third pile.

Game 2 - Even with Masq on the board a 5/2 split with Mountebank is hard to ignore. I get a Masq of my own as well as some dubious Schemes that I'm not too sure about. The light trashing of qmechs Masquerades doesn't help him and I can salvage away a victory.

Game 3 - The first times I'm hit by his Margraves I have Watchtower in hand. I don't hit 5's, though and end up buying a lot of other things, when I probably shoul've gotten Margraves (as was my plan), and qmechs Margraves does their thing.

Game 4 - I love this board. I was thinking about going for Counting House, but I like Philosopher's Stone better and I think it's a bit more reliable. qmech goes for the same strat, but gets his Potion later. In the end I hope I can get to my second Stone before he does. But I don't.

Game 5 - I get a lot of curses early and my early $5 hands get hit by Militias. In the end, it's pretty close but qmech is on the offensive and is able to end the game while being ahead.

Thanks, qmech for a fun series of games, and good luck in the rest of the tournament!

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 09:49:55 pm »

blueblimp 3 - Kirian 1

Game 1: Kirian 40 - blueblimp 21
Game 2: blueblimp 90 - Kirian 48
Game 3: Kirian 35 - blueblimp 37
Game 4: Kirian -100 - blueblimp 16

Interesting boards. Comments to follow.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »

blueblimp 3 - Kirian 1

Game 1: Kirian 40 - blueblimp 21
Game 2: blueblimp 90 - Kirian 48
Game 3: Kirian 35 - blueblimp 37
Game 4: Kirian -100 - blueblimp 16

Interesting boards. Comments to follow.

Note to self:  Do not let opponent play mind games with you at the start of a game, when you're already on tilt.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
+1

Game 1: It looks like there might be some kind of Highway+Trade Route combo available here, but it's not clear. Anyway, I use Inn to enable Treasure Map, while Kirian goes Chapel to enable Treasure Map. Although my Inn plan works out, it turns out to be too slow, and Kirian takes it.

Game 2: I am happy I lost the previous match (and so get first player advantage here), as this board features Ambassador, two types of village (Village and Bazaar), and Hunting Party. We both open double Amb. Kirian gets an early Bishop, which I feel is a mistake, while I get a Village then a Silver, with my eye on getting HPs ASAP. (Unlike some Amb boards, copper return priority is a bit lower because getting to $5 is so vital for HP.) Some decent early draws put me pretty far ahead, and I awkwardly transition into a Hoard/Bishop follow-up. HP is pretty good in the face of copper spam, though, and Kirian doesn't fall too far behind in points until pretty late.

Game 3: Young Witch with Lighthouse bane. Maybe the best bane there is, since its protection is almost as good as Scheme early on, plus it gives you money. I go for Alchemists here, which is maybe a bit unwise since it hurts my ability to grab Duchies (for Duke). Kirian makes a nice Salvager play on a Province on turn 14 to get a 5-3 Duchy split. I unwisely salvage my Duchies, which makes it really narrow to get the VP I need to not lose. Still I barely pull it out. There was a lot of stuff going on in this kingdom.

Game 4: Goons paradise. Here, Young Witch has a Masquerade bane. Kirian opts to open YW/Masq anyway, which in some situations I think is fine, but here the urgency to hit $6 is so great that I much prefer Masq/Silver. Although I don't hit $6 on T3/T4, the Library I pick up gets me a Goons on T5, and then I luck into playing it on T6. On turn 12, I play a Goons followed by a Masquerade, and Kirian (presumably) discards a Copper and a Farming Village to leave Farming Village, Goons, and Library in hand. After passing me his Library, I am very very far ahead, and eventually he resigns. (I was planning on transitioning into University, since the Farming Villages had run out.)

Edit: A little more comment: Games 2-4 featured pretty intricate kingdoms. My play in Game 2 was not too bad, but probably not optimal since there were so many options. My play in Game 3 was pretty awful, and we were both confused at how I won anyway. I'm happy with how I played Game 4, though.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:16:52 pm by blueblimp »

Stringer Bell

• Swindler
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 11:43:03 pm »
+1

Farb 3-2 Stringer Bell

Major attack cards were in play for all five games, which I always have trouble dealing with, for some reason.

Game 1
I ran out the Lighthouses before he could mount a comeback, though I was pretty far clear anyway.

Game 2
My attacks almost never got through his Lighthouses, and I just got cursed to death.

Game 3
Went big on the Laboratories and it worked out nicely, especially on the last turn.

Game 4
His Level 3 Cities worked wonders on the last few hands and I got too far behind early on.

Game 5
Very strange ending, he KC'd a Swindler and got two of my Provinces, which ran out the Province pile for his win. I got to my KC twice but each time didn't get an action to play with it.

All in all, a really interesting set of games that had tons of attacks and crappy, curse-filled decks.
"There's games beyond the f***ing game." -Stringer Bell

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 02:51:23 am »
+1

Game 1: It looks like there might be some kind of Highway+Trade Route combo available here, but it's not clear. Anyway, I use Inn to enable Treasure Map, while Kirian goes Chapel to enable Treasure Map. Although my Inn plan works out, it turns out to be too slow, and Kirian takes it.

Game 2: I am happy I lost the previous match (and so get first player advantage here), as this board features Ambassador, two types of village (Village and Bazaar), and Hunting Party. We both open double Amb. Kirian gets an early Bishop, which I feel is a mistake, while I get a Village then a Silver, with my eye on getting HPs ASAP. (Unlike some Amb boards, copper return priority is a bit lower because getting to $5 is so vital for HP.) Some decent early draws put me pretty far ahead, and I awkwardly transition into a Hoard/Bishop follow-up. HP is pretty good in the face of copper spam, though, and Kirian doesn't fall too far behind in points until pretty late.

Game 3: Young Witch with Lighthouse bane. Maybe the best bane there is, since its protection is almost as good as Scheme early on, plus it gives you money. I go for Alchemists here, which is maybe a bit unwise since it hurts my ability to grab Duchies (for Duke). Kirian makes a nice Salvager play on a Province on turn 14 to get a 5-3 Duchy split. I unwisely salvage my Duchies, which makes it really narrow to get the VP I need to not lose. Still I barely pull it out. There was a lot of stuff going on in this kingdom.

Game 4: Goons paradise. Here, Young Witch has a Masquerade bane. Kirian opts to open YW/Masq anyway, which in some situations I think is fine, but here the urgency to hit $6 is so great that I much prefer Masq/Silver. Although I don't hit $6 on T3/T4, the Library I pick up gets me a Goons on T5, and then I luck into playing it on T6. On turn 12, I play a Goons followed by a Masquerade, and Kirian (presumably) discards a Copper and a Farming Village to leave Farming Village, Goons, and Library in hand. After passing me his Library, I am very very far ahead, and eventually he resigns. (I was planning on transitioning into University, since the Farming Villages had run out.)

Edit: A little more comment: Games 2-4 featured pretty intricate kingdoms. My play in Game 2 was not too bad, but probably not optimal since there were so many options. My play in Game 3 was pretty awful, and we were both confused at how I won anyway. I'm happy with how I played Game 4, though.

Game 2, I think Village instead of Bishop might have given me a slightly better shot, but Ambassador tennis sucks in the second seat, especially when P1 draws Ambs on 3/4... and P2 gets 'em on 4/5.  I think we both played poorly in Game 3, which is the only thing that made it a race rather than a blowout. :)  Game 4... guh.  When I had to pass that Library, it was pretty much game over.

Good match... my apologies for ragequitting.  That Library pass killed me.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:32 am »
+1

No worries. My thinking on the bishop is that, in this game, it's vital to trash quickly and buy expensive cards. Bishop doesn't help with either. Later on, it's relevant because it can keep an engine from becoming clogged, which is how I try to use it though my play is far from optimal.

In general, I tend to see players overbuy bishops early. If we both want engines, I'll happily take advantage of the free trashing while using my superior buying power to buy expensive components--after all, my opponent chooses from 4 cards to trash, while I choose from 5, and all they get for it is a little vp and $1. I can buy a bishop later once I'm generating expensive cards to trash.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »

jsh357 / Watno
jsh wins 3-1-1

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-105925-a912a273.html
I opt for Jester and Watno pursues the far superior Council Room/Bank strategy.  I start following him in to it just in time to tie the game due to the luckiest Jester hits ever.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-111044-9604d21b.html
Scrying Pool is usually my bane card, but here I managed to get a nice Scry/baron engine running that eventually won the day.  I really think the Barons were key for the +Buy, and the only reason I managed to came through.  I could hold the Estates Watno passed me with Masquerades and use them for money.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-111647-064626e2.html
Governor game.  I bought the Walled Village specifically for the purpose of using it in the last turn (ensured it would be in my hand with Scheme).  I'm glad I did, as it paid off elegantly.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-112823-afb4407e.html
Tournament game; he got Followers.  I had a nice Minion/Monument/City engine going, but I dove for the penultimate Province to my folly.  In hindsight that was a horrible mistake.  Not totally sure about my Talisman opening, which didn't pay off all that much.  Monument would have been way better; I just anticipated getting a lot of those power $4s and never did, partially because of the Loan.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-113332-124c552f.html
Fun set for some Throne Room/Monument good times.  I am 50% confident first person advantage helped me here.

We played a couple of really interesting and mostly close games in this set.  I was very fortunate to tie the first game, even though it didn't matter in the end. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 02:42:02 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 02:42:39 pm »

Game 1 was kinda crazy jester, still managed to tie there.
Game 2 what i did couldnt really work, baron was the key card there.
Dont really see why i lost game 3.
Game 4 was a really intersting board. In the end i won by not revealing my province to tournament.
Game 5 monument with villages and throne rooms seem to be better than monuments with throne rooms and money. Actually not that surprising.

Thx for the games, gl in the next rounds.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »

Dont really see why i lost game 3.

It was close; I only won because I gained a Duchy during your turn.  Sadly, I don't think that you could have swung it at that point anyway?  Governor is tricky...
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 04:59:20 pm »

DG 3 : 1 Kenuru

Kenuru 44 : 28 DG http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-124043-4ea6d2be.html
Kenuru 60 : 82 DG http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-125959-31bab654.html
Kenuru 46 : 53 DG http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-130843-75caf660.html
Kenuru 27 : 40 DG http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-131610-cc401cdc.html

First game I completely misplayed fairgrounds as if I'd never seen them before. Kenuru played much more sensibly.
Second game was a good kingdom with all the cards coming into play. It is always hard to tell with minion games if there's a bit of luck in the draws or some advantage in deck composition but I managed to ease away and the big haggler turns proved decisive.
Third game looked to be a gardens game just because it was the only strategy that could survive the attack cards. I still can't honestly say how it should have been played.
Fourth game was straightforward. Kenuru tried to run fool's gold and treasure maps together and it wasn't going to work well.

Thanks for those fun and diverse games

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 01:09:41 am »

Bedlam 3 clb 2
some of the games were pretty dirty (swindler + familiar in game 3 I believe) and some we tried to do interesting things when BM+X probably would have worked better. Game 5 I tried for a torturer chain, but always seemed to manage to draw the torturers without the +actions and then the +actions show up dead in the draw. I think I needed more $ and more +actions - inputs appreciated. Bedlam ran a nice Jester on me, getting 2-3 platina and a gold, I think it was. Enjoyable games, though maybe not a paragon of skill. :)

clb 38, bedlam 26
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-211658-59a3bcde.html

clb 54, bedlam 60
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-212718-36a7716f.html

clb 31, bedlam 19
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-213812-4260d28a.html

clb 25, bedlam 27
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-215047-2f716c42.html

clb 46, bedlam 71
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/21/game-20120621-220213-bc75d209.html

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:39 am »

Game 5 I tried for a torturer chain, but always seemed to manage to draw the torturers without the +actions and then the +actions show up dead in the draw. I think I needed more $ and more +actions - inputs appreciated.

Moneylender/Shanty Town isn't a great opening: you get the collision on turn 4, which gives you $4 to spend rather than the $6 if you'd opened Silver.  (Was it a deliberate decision to skip the Peddler?  It's defensible, so I'm just checking if you spotted it.)  Since the Moneylender is going to start causing a nuisance when you want to play Torturers I'd be tempted to skip it.  It's also not entirely clear whether you want to trash your Copper, as you don't want to have to spend too many turns buying Silver, but if you do want to clear the Copper then Loan might be the better way to do it.

So I think I've now talked myself into opening Loan/Shanty Town, with the intention of hitting Torturers and Shanty Towns hard, and taking Peddlers if they're all I can get for $2.  Extra Silver might be necessary early too.  With Jester, Tactician and City, this set was complicated.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 03:50:41 am »

HiveMindEmulator 3 : 1 O

HME 41 : 31 O http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-000145-6196a27f.html
HME 70 : 57 O http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-001003-cdb92ada.html
HME 21 : 36 O http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-001317-e0dd3202.html
HME 41 : 31 O http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-002210-ba583186.html

Game 1 was a Minion game. I opened 3 Fishing Villages, and he went FV/Shanty/FV. I don't think the Shanty town did him any favors, but I also got particularly lucky and ended up winning the Minion split 7-3.
Game 2 was a Colony game where he went for Familiar and I went for Counting House. The Curses didn't really hurt at all since I wasn't going for any sort of deck density, but it was still a close game.
Game 3 should have been a simple Jack/Witch affair, but I accidentally discarded a Copper I wanted to keep and then decided that I should try to make up for it buy buying a bunch of useless cards. Naturally, I got destroyed.
Game 4 was an interesting one. We both opened Ambassador, but it did not turn into an Ambassador game. He went for Embassy/Tunnel, with a few other random cards from his Ironworks, and I attempted to make a full-drawing deck with Throne Room/Embassy/Menagerie and a Governor for extra gains. I played it pretty poorly, even Ambassadoring away my last Copper, but he got pretty unlucky hitting $7 on turns 17 and 18 when he could have practically sealed the win with a Province, and I was able to scramble together 3 reasonably good turns at the end, picking up 3 Duchies and a Tunnel to go with the last 2 Provinces to come from behind. I think going Embassy/Tunnel from the get-go (probably with 1 Ambassador at the start) is probably the best way to play this board.

Overall, I didn't play too well but got enough luck to carry me through. Thanks to O for being a good sport about it!

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +320
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 05:36:50 am »

dghunter79, 3; michaeljb, 0

michaeljb, resigned; dghunter79 --
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120621-223401-0cb40fdc.html

Trading Post, Witch, Goons, Grand Market, Menagerie, Native Village, Bazaar.  I get 5/2 and buy Trading Post.  My turns after this are like the days of Hanukah: Goons, Witch, Menageries, Bazaars, victory chips.  Michael opens 4/3 and he's just much less fortunate.

michaeljb, 27; dghunter79, 39
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120621-224053-bcdbf353.html

Fools Gold, Gardens, Woodcutter, Border Village, Hamlet, Embassy.  Michael surprised me by opening Woodcutter/Woodcutter.  Old school, that.  He goes for a Gardens rush while I pile out Fool's Gold.  It's close for a while, but I'm ahead when I hit a nice turn and buy his last two Gardens.  This leaves him with few paths to a comeback.

michaeljb, 28; dghunter79, 37
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120621-224410-5c64d117.html

Jack of All Trades, Lookout, Festival.  They say Jack/Lookout fares worse than Jack/Silver.  I don't know why they say this, and in fact, the last time I played Silver against Lookout I lost.  But I do what they say: Jack/Silver.  Michael opens Jack/Lookout.  I get a second Jack on four, while he gets a Silver.  My Jacks rarely collide, and that's the win.

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »

Rhombus wins, 3-2

Games:

Rhombus wins, 58-18
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-092221-4d0e15ab.html

Tournament game where I open Lookout / Sea Hag in 1p and methods opens Silver / Trader.  Thought process here is to curse him up a little bit if possible and thin down my deck to win tournaments.  I buy a gold on turn 6 and Province on turn 7.  Methods goes for Sea Hag on turn 6 - my feeling is that if you're going to go for it at all on this board, you have to open with it.  I win tournaments on turns 10, 12, 14, 16, 17, 23 and the rest is history.  For some reason, methods also starts buying duchies on turn 14.

methods of rationality wins, 43-39
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-093106-fc22d06c.html

We both open Young Witch / Tunnel.  I'm able to hit on turn 3 where he misses.  I purchase a tunnel, he purchases a trade route (bane).  I'm able to hit gold again on turn 7.  I continue to purchase tunnels and he buys Minions and transitions into a KC engine.  Close game.

methods of rationality wins, 55-41
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-093943-b26a530d.html

Not sure how I lost with Caravan / Ambassador, but I did.  Methods uses a pure Embassy+Tunnel strategy.  Any comments on this one?

Rhombus wins, 50-32
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-095357-0c22bd61.html

I open Pawn / Tactician and he opens Silver / Tournament.  I sure do feel good with a 5/2 here - it'll help me win tournaments and Tactician is one of my best cards.  We both end up with a tactician, tournament, and province by turn 6 with me one turn ahead.  He purchases a Governor where I might have purchased an additional Tournament.  We both win tournaments on turn 8 with me picking up Followers and methods grabbing Princess.  The rest of the game goes as expected resulting in my second win, leading into the matchmaker.

Rhombus wins, 85-39
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-100446-4c73b526.html

When I saw this board I got a bit worried because I'm not so great at Alchemist.  After taking a minute or so, I'm fairly certain that it's the way to go.  Maybe Fool's Gold will play a part, maybe not.  I open Warehouse / Potion and methods opens Island / Silver - I'm feeling pretty good.  My alchemist stack continues to build as he buys money.  Methods buys a Potion on turn 10, which I really don't understand except as a last ditch effort.  I realize that I'll need Grand Markets for additional buys so start to go for those, as he does.  I miss my potion on turn 15, so the stack breaks, but my deck is so dense that it doesn't even cause a bump.  I win with 7 colonies.

Good games, methods.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »

Game 5 I tried for a torturer chain, but always seemed to manage to draw the torturers without the +actions and then the +actions show up dead in the draw. I think I needed more $ and more +actions - inputs appreciated.

Moneylender/Shanty Town isn't a great opening: you get the collision on turn 4, which gives you $4 to spend rather than the $6 if you'd opened Silver.  (Was it a deliberate decision to skip the Peddler?  It's defensible, so I'm just checking if you spotted it.)  Since the Moneylender is going to start causing a nuisance when you want to play Torturers I'd be tempted to skip it.  It's also not entirely clear whether you want to trash your Copper, as you don't want to have to spend too many turns buying Silver, but if you do want to clear the Copper then Loan might be the better way to do it.

So I think I've now talked myself into opening Loan/Shanty Town, with the intention of hitting Torturers and Shanty Towns hard, and taking Peddlers if they're all I can get for $2.  Extra Silver might be necessary early too.  With Jester, Tactician and City, this set was complicated.

Thanks, Qmech. In my mind, the moneylender and shanty town weren't going to collide (or, gloriously, the shanty town would draw the moneylender), but I can see how a silver would be a better idea. Loan is an interesting suggestion. I typically only buy loan when I am reasonably confident I won't need to quickly buy a lot of other coin. I didn't feel that way here, but maybe I am not justified.
As to the peddler - I think I am also overly conservative there. I tend to grab it only if I have spare $ or buy, but at $4 it would be a reasonable buy, especially with nothing else I was buying at $4.
Thanks for the advice!

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »

comments on my games with Rhombus
game 1: The first time I ever tried to go trader over a curser. Apparently I need some practice in how to do this better.
game 2: It feels weird to be pursuing 2 strategies at once (yw tunnel, and king's court engine) - you never know which to prioritize
game 3: It wasn't even embassy tunnel - I only bought tunnels in the end game (though I suppose I should have bought them earlier) - I went pure embassy bm.
game 4: On turn 14 I had an amazing tactician hand with plenty of buys and princes - I was so close to end being able to buy 2 provinces and 4 duchies for an amazing comeback - didn't happen though.
game 5: I guess the late potion was a bad move - my thought process was something like - I feel like I should be building an engine, so I don't want silver, nothing else thats good is on the board, so.... potion!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 02:11:05 pm »
+1

@methods and rhombus

Looking at Game 5, any thoughts on using SC to enable GM.  Potentially Potion/SC opening, get Apothecaries/Alchemists and when opportunity arises, discard hand to gain grand market.  With a $5 hand, Cache could be bought which wouldn't be all that bad with apothecaries picking up extra copper.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

methods of rationality

• Bishop
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:16 pm »

Interesting idea shark bait! you would need a 7 card had but with apothecaries and cache, I don't think that would be too hard.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 02:21:45 pm »

methods of rationality wins, 55-41
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/22/game-20120622-093943-b26a530d.html

Not sure how I lost with Caravan / Ambassador, but I did.  Methods uses a pure Embassy+Tunnel strategy.  Any comments on this one?

Not sure if you can really call that a pure Embassy+Tunnel strategy, methods didn't buy a Tunnel until turn 14, well into the game. [Edit: ninja'd] However, I think Embassy is just really good at dealing with junk. Ambassador slows you down, without really slowing him down. You toss him some junk, and he can just sift past them. Embassy is such a strong sifter/drawer that it can ignore a single Ambassador worth of attacks pretty easily, especially when you're not trying to build anything resembling a fancy engine, just big hands with money in them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.