Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: What should I do once Isotropic goes down?  (Read 22086 times)

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: What should I do once Isotropic goes down?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 07:07:03 pm »

Backgammon... is less luck dependent than Dominion if you play matches...

[img]http://oneclimbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screen-shot-2012-01-23-at-10.10.36-AM.png[ /img]
Have you played Backgammon for more than a few games?
I have lose quite a few Dominion games because of bad luck, but I have never in my entire life lost a Backgammon match were I (after analysing the logs) could honestly say I have lost due to bad luck. In most games where someone claims he is losing because of bad luck he is actually losing because the other player effectively minimizes their number of possibly good rolls and duplicates their other very good rolls.
Backgammon has so little luck in it that in the last ~10 years even top-tier Backgammon players couldn't win 7-point matches against proper backgammon bots, simply because they (the bots) play far better than any human could ever dream of.
Sure, you can lose a singe game (or worse, a single doubled game) due to bad luck, but that does not really matter all that much in the "long" term of a match most of the time.

How many games are there that DON'T get better via doubling cube inclusion?

Actually, 1st turn might make dominion really one of them... that plus a little shuffle luck.... nah, doubling cubes are awesome!
Many card games and most (physical) sports. There are exceptions though. :>

Also, doesn't the doubling cube only matter if you're playing for money?  (Or presumably points in a tournament.  But wouldn't that seriously screw up the ranking?)
Why would it screw the ranking? You win or you lose a match, there is nothing inbetween in backgammon. It doesn't matter if you won a game without any doubles and lead 7:5 in the match or you won a gammon that was redoubled several times to a worth of 256 and lead 263:0 in the match, in both cases you have simply won the match.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:13:45 pm by Schlippy »
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 04:34:29 am »

Can Someone explain the doubling cube thing for me?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 07:55:04 am »
+1

Essentially, before your turn, you may challenge your opponent to double the stakes of the game.  He must either accept or resign the game immediately.  If he accepts, he is now in possession of the cube, so only he can offer a subsequent double (and if he does, and you accept, the cube comes back to you).  The doubling cube starts in the middle and either player may offer the first double.

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 10:55:42 am »

If you don't mind turn based game, yucata.de has a great selection of implemented board games. But you can usually find a live game too if you want one.

verikt

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »

I have lose quite a few Dominion games because of bad luck, but I have never in my entire life lost a Backgammon match were I (after analysing the logs) could honestly say I have lost due to bad luck.
Can't you? Ever blocked 5 out of six in the home row (with his piece out), then watched someone get double 5's or 6's, knocking out 3 pieces on his way home?
Whenever it starts costing money I'm out. I really liked this game, but I can barely keep myself in alcohol and tobacco as it is.
If chess and backgammon don't do it for you, read through all the books here http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com once or twice.

noon

• Swindler
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2012, 11:08:18 am »

To explain, I think this is because of the doubling cube and the metagame around backgammon.  You could do the same for Dominion, but no one has.

I have! It's fun. We played you can double at the very start of your turn. Definitely speeds up face to face games.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »

I have limited myself to 1 hr. of Iso/Forum/Goko time so I can find another awesome hobby.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 10:05:46 am »
+6

I have limited myself to 1 hr. of Iso/Forum/Goko time so I can find another awesome hobby.

1 hour per... what?

Per hour is my guess.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2012, 05:14:58 pm »

Cool, this thread!  Had to be somewhere. 

Puzzle strike is an option, but there are a couple things I don't like about it.  League of Legends is good and free if you want to play a non-turn-based game.

A reeeally cool CCG I discovered is called "Carte", no one seems to have heard of it because most of its playerbase is non-english speaking, but it's a really good online ccg with sexy art.  You can build a really strong deck with just the "base" cards that are virtually free, and play games to pretty easily get new cards, and pay with real money to get cards if/when you feel ready.  PM me if you get into it, I need English-speaking buddies.  It plays a lot like MTG, but there's no mana screw because any card can be played as a land (albeit one that is a bit weaker than an actual land card, called a "shard" card)

kilgoretrout103

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2012, 06:51:02 pm »

Isotropic will go down the day after I leave for my first year of law school, which is good, because otherwise I would fail out of law school. I'm imagining myself like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Dark Knight, where he intentionally shuts down the sonar machine because it's too much power for one man to have.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »

I'm imagining myself like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Dark Knight, where he intentionally shuts down the sonar machine because it's too much power for one man to have.

Spoiler Alert!  :P

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 09:40:12 pm »
+1

I'm imagining myself like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Dark Knight, where he intentionally shuts down the sonar machine because it's too much power for one man to have.

Spoiler Alert!  :P

Pretty sure the statute of limitations for movie spoilers is less than 4 years.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:12 pm »
+1

Isotropic will go down the day after I leave for my first year of law school, which is good, because otherwise I would fail out of law school. I'm imagining myself like Morgan Freeman at the end of The Dark Knight, where he intentionally shuts down the sonar machine because it's too much power for one man to have.

I thought this said Morgrim Freeman.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 10:36:31 pm »

I thought this said Morgrim Freeman.
Me too.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 11:09:14 pm »

Cool, this thread!  Had to be somewhere. 

Puzzle strike is an option, but there are a couple things I don't like about it.  League of Legends is good and free if you want to play a non-turn-based game.

A reeeally cool CCG I discovered is called "Carte", no one seems to have heard of it because most of its playerbase is non-english speaking, but it's a really good online ccg with sexy art.  You can build a really strong deck with just the "base" cards that are virtually free, and play games to pretty easily get new cards, and pay with real money to get cards if/when you feel ready.  PM me if you get into it, I need English-speaking buddies.  It plays a lot like MTG, but there's no mana screw because any card can be played as a land (albeit one that is a bit weaker than an actual land card, called a "shard" card)

Tried it for a half hour or so... more complex and the animations are even more annoying than those on Goko...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 03:47:25 pm »

Carte, or Puzzle Strike?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 06:33:55 pm »

Carte, or Puzzle Strike?

Carte.  Didn't realize Puzzle Strike was online.

There are a bunch of card games much like Carte available at Kongregate.  Many of which, though not all, are Zynga-style pay to win, but have reasonable if not brutal AIs.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »

Some of the animations in Carte can be disabled.

I don't mind Carte's pay to win, if you have an MMORPG attitude towards it, it's alright.

I like mmorpg's too though, if you don't, it's not going to work

I did compare the game to MtG, which is also pay-to-win so, I hope I'm not getting accused of deception here.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 07:53:04 pm by popsofctown »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 11:38:31 pm »

Oh, I'm not complaining about pay-to-win, it still creates some reasonable games.  Just sayin' I got tired of Carte after about 30 minutes... the language barriers (I guess the original is Korean?) didn't help the tutorials and such.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2012, 03:23:49 pm »

Oh, I'm not complaining about pay-to-win, it still creates some reasonable games.  Just sayin' I got tired of Carte after about 30 minutes... the language barriers (I guess the original is Korean?) didn't help the tutorials and such.

I thought the tutorial cartoon was cute, if they still are using that after beta.  But the tutorial is poorly translated and admittedly that is a barrier to entry.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »

I have lose quite a few Dominion games because of bad luck, but I have never in my entire life lost a Backgammon match were I (after analysing the logs) could honestly say I have lost due to bad luck.
Can't you? Ever blocked 5 out of six in the home row (with his piece out), then watched someone get double 5's or 6's, knocking out 3 pieces on his way home?
I was talking about a complete match, not a single game. Even games where something like that happens are rare, because unless you do not double because you desperately need to win a gammon or backgammon to stay in the match with realistic chances, your enemy usually resigns to the doubling cube before that situation arises.
And even then, a piece of good old backgammon software will gladly show you that your chances of winning such a game would have been 9.8% higher if you had played differently in turn 13. (or something)

(besides that, if you block 5 points in your home board and the other players slips through with double 5s, you deserve to lose, as you played very poorly in that case. the 5 point is by far the most important point in the game.
also, if he hits 3 blobs on the way you also played poorly, as playing a duplication tactic in such a situation is quite harmful :> (it is also next to impossible that such a situation is forced upon you by unlucky throws))

I am not saying there is no luck in Backgammon. Of course there is, you throw dice. But it is far less than people who do not play it competitively believe. Luck or bad luck does not make you lose your matches, playing your rolls poorly makes you lose your matches. (And giving your opponent more good rolls makes you lose matches, but that is in fact the major part of playing your rolls poorly.)
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2012, 02:56:59 am »

I just got a chance to try Ascension, and it's freakin' awesome!

...I don't have an ipad :\
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2012, 10:42:31 am »

Look up World of Tanks.  It is relatively new and takes a while to download, but it's free and is really quite fun after you get past the dumb first tanks.  Includes a good number of huge maps as well as as series of light, medium, and heavy tanks, tank destroyers, and self-propelled guns.  All the tanks are from WWI and WWII and have upgrades like new guns and suspension.  It gets even more fun if you pay for a premium account, but I haven't spent a dime and am still having fun!

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:26 am »

Actually, no. One hour per day.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2012, 05:15:36 am »
+2

Desperate times, desperate measures - I just borrowed Moby Dick from the library.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.