Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Harem -> Abbey Church  (Read 10963 times)

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Harem -> Abbey Church
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:42:03 am »
+7

My friend that introduced me to Dominion did not like using Harems, and did not think they belonged in this otherwise family card game. He retitled and reimaged the card as an Abbey Church, and I decided to do the same. Here is the new card for anyone who is interested in replacing their own card.
(click for full)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Harem -> Abbey Church
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 01:02:34 am »

Saw the image and was gonna say, "that already exists!"

Good thing I read the description before replying.  :)

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:20:49 am »

It doesn't make much sense for what it does.. but Harem makes even less sense!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:25:14 am »

Well, it retains the flavour.  Victory point cards tend to be places (Nobles notwithstanding).  A harem may refer to a group of wives/concubines but it can also refer to a part of a residence reserved for that group.  An abbey is also a place that may be filled with women, though in this case they are nuns.

Abbey might have monks instead.  I think I would have gone with "Convent".

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:07:19 am »

I also did this humorous fix for another friend who did not like playing with Shanty Town (one of my favorite cards.)

"You should not take advantage of shanty towns, they should give you a curse when you use them."

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 02:13:30 am »

I also did this humorous fix for another friend who did not like playing with Shanty Town (one of my favorite cards.)

"You should not take advantage of shanty towns, they should give you a curse when you use them."
+1 for the humor. Wait, scratch that, for liking Shanty Town.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

CaptainNevada

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 02:16:54 am »
+2

Harem doesn't belong in a "family card game" ... and Torturer does.  The logic escapes me, but maybe there is an explanation out there.  Or did he remake it as "Extremely Persuasive Person" ?

My friend that introduced me to Dominion did not like using Harems, and did not think they belonged in this otherwise family card game. He retitled and reimaged the card as an Abbey Church, and I decided to do the same. Here is the new card for anyone who is interested in replacing their own card.
(click for full)

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:40 am »
+1

Harem doesn't belong in a "family card game" ... and Torturer does.  The logic escapes me, but maybe there is an explanation out there.  Or did he remake it as "Extremely Persuasive Person" ?
Well, he did make Witch->Vagabond and Curse->Plague, but I didn't want to go that far. I think a kid knows what a torturer is, even if the idea of using it isn't the best. I would rather not explain what a harem is to a child, and the image isn't helpful either in my opinion. Beyond that, to each his own.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 03:25:58 am »

I think the flavor for Victory point cards is that they are something you can show off to the lords of a different kingdom.  So lush Gardens, paved Silk Roads, subservient Nobles.. concubines.. and Great Halls and so on.

I have a lot more trouble figuring out how Harem is a treasure.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:49 am »

Hmm, interesting take on it.  Though Tunnels don't quite strike me as something particularly royal.  Fairgrounds don't seem so brag-worthy to me either, but that might be because I imagine them to be creepy fog-covered abandoned Fairgrounds.  :o

Island sort of works, as does Vineyard.  Not sure about Farmland, but I guess you could gloat about having superior agricultural yield.

Schlippy

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 06:43:22 am »
+2

I personally think that possession, militia, thief, witch, scheme, conspiriator, torturer, black market, goons, rabble, cutpurse, young witch, sea hag and smugglers are far more severe in a "family game" than harem is. Might be that Europe/America thing though. Several of these are forbidden things in nearly every country, whereas harems are perfectly legal in quite a lot of countries.
That does not mean that I care at all about the fact that any of these cards are in a Dominion, even if I were playing it with exceptionally young or exceptionally old people.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:47:52 am by Schlippy »
I do upload some Dominion videos on youtube now. :)

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 12:50:02 pm »

The new name fits very well to the actual name of the card if you want the religious background and see an abbey as the house of god's harem (nuns or monks).

nightdance

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 10:07:03 am »

There is nothing wrong with harems from history. Centuries of European misconception really have harmed the image...

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 11:11:32 am »

Though Tunnels don't quite strike me as something particularly royal.

Just tell yourself your Tunnels are basically Dwarrowdelf, that'll impress the competing monarchs.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:29 pm »

Every kid knows what a witch is - a lot of them dress up as one (or at least used to) on Halloween.  And what's wrong with Curse?  Does your friend help run the No-Cussing Club or something?  At any rate, I never really saw Dominion as intended to be a kid-friendly game. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

Well, he did make Witch->Vagabond and Curse->Plague, but I didn't want to go that far. I think a kid knows what a torturer is, even if the idea of using it isn't the best. I would rather not explain what a harem is to a child, and the image isn't helpful either in my opinion. Beyond that, to each his own.

"Daddy, what's a harem?"

"A place where kings used to keep their women."

If you want to maintain your kid's innocence, there are always workarounds.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 10:19:02 pm »
+2

Every kid knows what a witch is - a lot of them dress up as one (or at least used to) on Halloween.  And what's wrong with Curse?  Does your friend help run the No-Cussing Club or something?  At any rate, I never really saw Dominion as intended to be a kid-friendly game.

I definitely have known some people, mostly Christian fundamentalists, who believe (and are told in church) that real witches, who have sold their souls to Satan, exist, and that they will hex you.

I am not overstating this.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 10:29:23 pm »
+4

I did not create this thread with the intention of having others judge me or my friend. Please stay on topic of the card.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:52:25 am »
+2

There are unreasonable accommodations, and then there are reasonable accommodations.  I think not having to explain to a child what a "Harem" is, or try to explain why it generates revenue, is one of the more reasonable accommodations.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 06:21:55 pm »

There are unreasonable accommodations, and then there are reasonable accommodations.  I think not having to explain to a child what a "Harem" is, or try to explain why it generates revenue, is one of the more reasonable accommodations.

I thought so too, although reading the Wikipedia article, it seems like describing it as "a place where women live" is an accurate explanation, historically. So I don't see the problem here anymore.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3961
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 02:26:40 am »

It's because torture is ok with fundamentalists because God is a torturer and so are the nice Americans working in Guantanamo Bay.

Also, at some point, America decided that gratuitous violence is less bad than depictions of sex.

(I personally don't think I'd be ok with owning a Harem in real life, but I give it a pass for Dominion. If I had to explain it to a kid, I'd just say that in some cultures, really rich and powerful guys have a lot of wives. Mormons do it, and they're also Christians, or close enough.)
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 06:46:00 am »
+1

I am an adult, but I don't particularly like being reminded of the whole "women as property" thing while playing an otherwise enjoyably eccentric card game. The card art and the fact that it produces income make it pretty clear we're not just talking about "a place where women live".

The card doesn't particularly upset me, but I find it distasteful in a way that Torturer isn't.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 09:27:27 am »
+1

Huh, I never thought I'd see a thread about a variant card turn into an RPS thread so rapidly.

(Edge case: a card named after a specific religious sect or political institution, with the intent of disparaging it, but really, who would do that?)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 09:34:50 am »

Well, it retains the flavour.  Victory point cards tend to be places (Nobles notwithstanding).  A harem may refer to a group of wives/concubines but it can also refer to a part of a residence reserved for that group.  An abbey is also a place that may be filled with women, though in this case they are nuns.

Abbey might have monks instead.  I think I would have gone with "Convent".

It only retains half the flavor though. Victory cards are places, but treasure cards are things that produce money. A harem does, an Abbey Church does not.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 10:06:21 am »

A Vagabond is an Attack that gives you the Plague? Tell me if this is just me being non-native English speaker, but that strikes me as highly discriminative and borderline fascist.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 20 queries.