Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Playdominion.com/base exists now, sort of  (Read 24787 times)

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
Playdominion.com/base exists now, sort of
« on: June 16, 2012, 01:14:58 am »
+2

Playdominion.com/base now redirects to playdomion.com/offer, where it says this:

Sign up & we'll tell you when we launch & when you can redeem your Base Card, Dark Ages, & The Guild card codes.

Sounds like only people buying the physical sets will have access to them in the game. Guess that makes it a good thing this officially licensed version didn't come out sooner ;) (not that it matters for players like me who buy all the cards anyway, but...)

And hey, the /img, /js and /css directories are forbidden from public viewing now.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
Re: Playdominion.com/base exists now, sort of
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:03:28 am »

Sounds like only people buying the physical sets will have access to them in the game.
If I understand you, then no, not so. It will be possible to have online Seaside without having real-life Seaside, etc.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:49:03 am »
+1

I think he means the revised base cards with the new images.
Those that came with that little card on it with the weird "hold it in front of your phone" info.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:31:58 am »

I think he means the revised base cards with the new images.
Those that came with that little card on it with the weird "hold it in front of your phone" info.
It will be possible to get the new images for the base cards without buying the physical base cards product.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 10:42:29 am »
+1

Just to clarify, since we've seen it several different ways, is the 2013 expansion called "The Guilds", "The Guild", or "Guilds"?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 10:43:02 am »
+1

Wow, now "guild" looks like such a weird word.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:31 am »
+3

Just to clarify, since we've seen it several different ways, is the 2013 expansion called "The Guilds", "The Guild", or "Guilds"?
Dominion: Guilds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 12:07:01 pm »

Wait, I'm lost.  I have Base and Hinterlands and do not yet have Prosperity.  If I buy Prosperity now, will I have to buy it again to play online Dominion?  Or is it a dual investment?

If it's the first I feel discouraged from buying the physical cards in favor of picking one medium.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 12:16:05 pm »
+1

Sounds like only people buying the physical sets will have access to them in the game.
If I understand you, then no, not so. It will be possible to have online Seaside without having real-life Seaside, etc.
Actually I was thinking this would only apply to Base Cards, Dark Ages, and Guilds, since the site mentions redeeming codes for them. Plus the extra card thing in the Base Cards set points the user to playdominion.com/base, which is where this message is. I figured this couldn't apply to the past sets since they were released before playdominion was developed and none of them had that extra card which seems to be connected somehow.

So if you don't buy the physical sets, and you don't need to in order to get these card codes, but Jay said that the card was hopefully useful for everyone, and it seems connected to the online version, what I'm now thinking is this: when playdominion.com goes live, it will have all the cards from Dominion through Dominion: Hinterlands, but a code will be needed to use Base Cards through Guilds, and this code will be available for purchase, or also included in the physical sets.

Is that anywhere close to accurate?
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:30 pm »

It could easily just be something cosmetic, such as a special avatar. I wouldn't worry about it until we have more information.

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 12:45:11 pm »
+2

Actually I was thinking this would only apply to Base Cards, Dark Ages, and Guilds, since the site mentions redeeming codes for them. Plus the extra card thing in the Base Cards set points the user to playdominion.com/base, which is where this message is. I figured this couldn't apply to the past sets since they were released before playdominion was developed and none of them had that extra card which seems to be connected somehow.

So if you don't buy the physical sets, and you don't need to in order to get these card codes, but Jay said that the card was hopefully useful for everyone, and it seems connected to the online version, what I'm now thinking is this: when playdominion.com goes live, it will have all the cards from Dominion through Dominion: Hinterlands, but a code will be needed to use Base Cards through Guilds, and this code will be available for purchase, or also included in the physical sets.

If it is, that would be perfectly reasonable.
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 01:58:45 pm »
+1

I disagree, because for physical sets, you don't need one for every player, just one per play group. Requiring every player of the online game to purchase physical expansions would be pretty crazy.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »

At this point, I would be surprised if playdominion.com didn't have a subscription fee or some type of per-game cost.

As for the "code" on the card that came with the Base Cards set, I assume that it's basically just a link to playdominion.com/offer and that Jay decided to delay the set for "3 to 4 weeks" for marketing purposes.

Sorry if I'm being too cynical.  :-\

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 02:05:15 pm »
+8

Pretend there is no card thingy that came with Base Cards. That thing doesn't exist. Okay now there is zero ownership connection between the online and real life Dominion products. If you want to play in real life you have to buy the real life product; if you want to play online you have to buy the online product.

Okay there is actually that card thingy that came with Base Cards. What is that thing? It will get you some online product of some sort, I don't know for sure what. I would not assume it will be online Base Cards, it might be better, for my definition of better.

Online, one player will host the game; the other players don't need to own anything online.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »

I disagree, because for physical sets, you don't need one for every player, just one per play group. Requiring every player of the online game to purchase physical expansions would be pretty crazy.

To add to this post, it's not just an issue of cost, but also the risk of splintering the player base. Even if players in a game get to play with whatever expansions either owns, there'd be no way to write reasonable tournament rules, because the available kingdoms would depend on which two players are playing.

I think it's a lot more likely that either: the cards are for something cosmetic, or if they do unlock the expansions, then there's an alternative way to buy access to those expansions online at a smaller cost.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 02:43:15 pm »
+2

I think it's a lot more likely that either: the cards are for something cosmetic, or if they do unlock the expansions, then there's an alternative way to buy access to those expansions online at a smaller cost.
Whatever the thing that came with Base Cards gets you, it will not be something that can only be gotten that way.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:49:25 pm »

Wait, I'm lost.  I have Base and Hinterlands and do not yet have Prosperity.  If I buy Prosperity now, will I have to buy it again to play online Dominion?  Or is it a dual investment?

If it's the first I feel discouraged from buying the physical cards in favor of picking one medium.
That would be horrible for me...I own all the expansions (except the promos) and I really do not want to have to buy them again.
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 12:42:19 am »
+5

Online, one player will host the game; the other players don't need to own anything online.

On June 17th, suddenly popsofctown's behavior on isotropic drastically changed.  The obnoxious, contentious badger transformed into the picture of manners and the sound of courtesy.  Players couldn't finish a game with him without getting complimented on their play.  The change in behavior was too bizarre.  Fellow isotropic players, concerned that he had been kidnapped and was yielding his log-in information under duress (per an Occam's Razor explanation), called the police and tried to find where popsofctown lived.  Continued on page 4B

Nakamura

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nakamura
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

The ACTION-DURATION lettering on the cards shown on playdominion.com is still too big.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 02:20:26 am »

So we're looking at some kind of 'virtual games club' kind of thing where one player supplies the game and can invite who he likes to play with him?

Does this mean we can kiss goodbye to the hope of any kind of open/pickup tournament system

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2012, 02:49:53 am »
+1

So we're looking at some kind of 'virtual games club' kind of thing where one player supplies the game and can invite who he likes to play with him?

Does this mean we can kiss goodbye to the hope of any kind of open/pickup tournament system
I don't understand what you mean by the first part; I meant what I said and wouldn't read any more into it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the second part either. I hope to have a system whereby people can start a small tournament at whatever random time they decide that they want to be in one, ala 8-mans in Magic Online. I don't really know what that will look like precisely though, or when/if it will happen. There will be tournaments of some sort, that's as far as I can go today.

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2012, 09:40:44 am »

First part I was simply confirming what you said (or what I thought you said) above, that one person will own/host the game and they can invite other people to play with them even if they don't also 'own' the game much like you could IRL with paper dominion.

As for the second part, I was trying to work out how the above would work with an online tournament system.  I played a lot of MTGO and I am familiar with the 8-man pickup drafts.  All 8 people have to supply 3 boosters and then they draft.  How would this work with Dominion and all the optional expansions?  Could one person (who owned expansions, X, Y and Z) start a tournament and then 7 other people could join no matter what they owned?  Or would the other 7 players also have to own expansions X, Y and Z?  What if 8 players owned all the expansions between them, but no one player owned them all, could they play a tournament with all cards?  Could people freeload off others by never buying anything of the game, but just joining open tournaments hosted by people that do?

Or have I misunderstood the whole ownership thing entirely?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:41:47 am by Piemaster »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 11:07:31 am »

So, for QuickPlay purposes, is one player randomly determined as the host, and the cards in the game are taken from the pool of cards he/she owns?

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15:50 am »

I believe people have said that all the cards will be available once you buy the online version. So I would say don't worry about that. He's just saying one person "hosts" the game, just like whoever invites another player on iso "hosts" a game.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case someone in the beta feel free to correct me.
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12:22 pm »

I believe people have said that all the cards will be available once you buy the online version. So I would say don't worry about that. He's just saying one person "hosts" the game, just like whoever invites another player on iso "hosts" a game.

Unless I'm wrong, in which case someone in the beta feel free to correct me.

I don't recall this ever being confirmed. And I had asked specifically about pricing and they said they didn't have that information available yet. I really wouldnt be surprised if it was a pay per expansion type thing though with how some of the beta menus are set up.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 20 queries.