Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The Favourite Dominion Cards List 2012 Ed.1  (Read 20653 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
The Favourite Dominion Cards List 2012 Ed.1
« on: June 14, 2012, 05:13:37 pm »
+4

Finally, after I thought it wouldn't be too interesting to compile a list with only 9 people participating, but after a few of you asked about it, here it is now:
The list of your favourite cards you can find here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjovnuYeeSkidHl2YnhHVVB5SWVOS0oxQWtCSUZVWFE

Like I said, it is still not very significant. One voter can still scramble the list.

But the Top 10 kingdom basically would be:
Fishing Village, Bishop, Menagerie, Wharf, Governor, Hamlet, Grand Market, Venture, Salvager, Laboratory
I'm a little surprised by Venture here, but beside of that, there is no really surprise IMHO.
I think it's also very intereting that so "basic" cards like Laboratory (10.) and Festival (12.) ranked so good.

The bottom 10 kingdom would be:
Duchess, Thief, Secret Chamber, Stash, Chancellor, Philosopher's Stone, Moat, Transmute, Counting House, Treasure Map
I think there are no big surprises, that these cards ranked very low, but I even expected some other cards like Saboteur in the bottom 10.

So, now go ahead and play those kingdoms with your friends or read some more statistics:

The 3 VP chip generating cards ranked all very good (Bishop 2., Goons 17., Monument 20.).

Duration cards also ranked very good, only one card is in the bottom half
(Fishing Village 1., Wharf 4., Tactician 27., Caravan 37., Haven 49., Lighthouse 68., Merchant Ship 69., Outpost 106.)

Terminal draw cards for Big Money ranked very low beside of Wharf.

Alternative VP cards were distributed from top to bottom with Tunnel being the favourite and I'm a little bit surprised by some low rankings.
(Tunnel 33., Vineyard 43., Fairgrounds 52., Island 58., Harem 62., Nobles 67., Farmland 83., Gardens 88., Silk Road 108., Duke 114., Great Hall 117.)

Reaction cards ranked all very low beside of Tunnel and Horse Traders
(Tunnel 33., Horse Traders 48., Watchtower 78., Fool's Gold 89., Trader 112., Moat 151., Secret Chamber 155.)

The favourite attacks were Goons 20., Jester 39., Minion 56. and Young Witch 70. as the best curser. So attacks were basically ranked very low.
The least favourite attacks were Thief 156., Saboteur 144., Bureaucrat 143. and Oracle 140.
Sea Hag (135.) was the least favourite curser. For me it was surprising to see it above Familiar (118.) as everybody complains about its swingyness.

Most Treasure cards ranked really low (Stash 154., Philosopher's Stone 152., Cache 139., Talisman 134., ...),
but there were a few which also ranked pretty high (Venture 8., Hoard 15., Horn of Plenty 26.)

The bottom cards also had the highest consensus with Transmute being a big outlier.
Other cards with high consensus were Nomad Camp, Woodcutter, Market, Rabble, Haven, Scout and of course Fishing Village.

On the other side there are the 10 cards which divide the community in two parts:
Farmland, Contraband, Fool's Gold, Ill-Gotten Gains, Harvest, Alchemist, Mountebank, Watchtower, Torturer and Ambassador as the most controversial card.

The favourite Potion cost cards were Apothecary (32.), Vineyard (43.) and University (71.) and the least favourite being Possession (137.), Transmute (150.), Philosopher's Stone (152.).

That leads to the compiled list of the favourite expansions:
1. Cornucopia    47.31
2. Prosperity     61.36
3. Seaside        82.58
4. Hinterlands    83.50
5. Intrigue        84.88
6. Alchemy       89.75
7. Base            90.40
(8. Promo         95.40)

=> a big lead for Cornucopia and Prosperity

Thanks for all the contribution, even though there were only 9 entries. I compiled a list for myself and I know that sorting 157 is very difficult and time consuming.
I'm planning for an update for both of my lists. And I have an idea for especially this list to get more entries and still being significant. You'll see...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 07:17:50 am by Qvist »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
Re: THE Dominion Card List(s): Your Favourite Cards
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 06:47:55 pm »
+1

Woah, Cornucopia is the favourite expansion?

*Mind=blown*

It's my least favourite expansion by a reasonable margin. Still, Seaside, Prosperity and Hinterlands are probably my favourites, in that order, so I'm not that surprised. And it is only 9 people's votes so eh.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »

Woah, Cornucopia is the favourite expansion?

*Mind=blown*

It's my least favourite expansion by a reasonable margin. Still, Seaside, Prosperity and Hinterlands are probably my favourites, in that order, so I'm not that surprised. And it is only 9 people's votes so eh.
You read my mind. Except for your favorite expansions. Mine is Prosperity, next maybe Hinterlands. The poll for this is here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:38:03 pm by Morgrim7 »
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 10:06:57 pm »
+1

My order, from favorite to least:

Hinterlands
Intrigue
Seaside
Alchemy
Cornucopia
Base
Prosperity
Promo

I really don't care for Colony/Platinum. I know I'm basically alone in that regard.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »
+2

Hinterlands
Intrigue
Seaside
Alchemy
Cornucopia
Base
Prosperity
Promo

I really don't care for Colony/Platinum. I know I'm basically alone in that regard.
No, you're not. I may be good with alternate VP cards, or at least ones which can really be used as alternatives to provinces rather than mostly supplements, but that's only excluding colonies. :P

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:47:23 pm »

Hinterlands
Intrigue
Seaside
Alchemy
Cornucopia
Base
Prosperity
Promo

No, you're not. I may be good with alternate VP cards, or at least ones which can really be used as alternatives to provinces rather than mostly supplements, but that's only excluding colonies. :P
+1 to both of you for telling the truth. My order from favorite to least:
Prosperity
Hinterlands
Alchemy?
Seaside
Promo
Intrigue
Base
Cornucopia
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:51:19 pm »

It is sort of weird to lump the Promo cards together and call them a set (although it would be even weirder to count each promo card individually). But anyway, if they do count together, it's hard not to have them last. Walled Village and Stash are so inessential. Black Market is infuriating. Envoy is fine, if a bit repetitive. I do like Governor, but that's pretty much it.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 11:01:06 pm »

I'm generally indifferent at best to Colony/Plat. Usually it depends on the board. Definite BM board I find just become more swingy, as hitting $9 early is just so much better than $8 or $7, which will often be Gold buys (compared to a normal game where it'd be Province/Province/Gold at $9/8/7 respectively, and $6/$5/$4 isn't such an issue as there's generally plenty of kingdom cards at $5/$4). And I don't really enjoy that. On the other hand, the longer games you get from Colony/Platinum make engines more viable, which is most pronounced when a board goes from BM-dominant with a slightly too slow engine to an engine-dominant game with a relatively too weak BM enabler, just by adding Colonies.

Also, I think actually that, by rating each card individually, I might well find that Cornucopia shifts up my ratings a reasonable amount. But I dislike the set itself for having, I feel, a far too high proportion of power cards (Hunting Party, Remake, Young Witch, Tournament, Hamlet, there's 5/13 just off the top of my head).

Oh and setwise, I'd say:

Prosperity
Seaside
Hinterlands
Alchemy
Base
Intrigue
Cornucopia

I'd probably actually shift Cornucopia up a little (above Intrigue) if it weren't for the fact I dislike the higher cost-per-card of the smaller sets. But then I'd also keep it as is, or maybe even shift Alchemy down two, if I included the fact that you get base cards with those sets. Ehh... I need to make some well defined criteria for rating expansion  :P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:03:33 pm by Tables »
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 11:04:06 pm »
+1

I'm generally indifferent at best to Colony/Plat. Usually it depends on the board. Definite BM board I find just become more swingy, as hitting $9 early is just so much better than $8 or $7, which will often be Gold buys (compared to a normal game where it'd be Province/Province/Gold at $9/8/7 respectively, and $6/$5/$4 isn't such an issue as there's generally plenty of kingdom cards at $5/$4). And I don't really enjoy that. On the other hand, the longer games you get from Colony/Platinum make engines more viable, which is most pronounced when a board goes from BM-dominant with a slightly too slow engine to an engine-dominant game with a relatively too weak BM enabler, just by adding Colonies.

Also, I think actually that, by rating each card individually, I might well find that Cornucopia shifts up my ratings a reasonable amount. But I dislike the set itself for having, I feel, a far too high proportion of power cards (Hunting Party, Remake, Young Witch, Tournament, Hamlet, there's 5/13 just off the top of my head).

...menagerie.

They're all power cards, but besides tournament they're all awesome-fun power cards!

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:11:20 pm »

...But I dislike the set itself for having, I feel, a far too high proportion of power cards (Hunting Party, Remake, Young Witch, Tournament, Hamlet, there's 5/13 just off the top of my head).

...menagerie.

They're all power cards, but besides tournament they're all awesome-fun power cards!

I thought there was one at 3. That makes it 6/13, just under half the set. And personally, of those, I find Tournament annoying and not especially fun, Hunting Party can be but often is one of those 'see, sigh, play the HP stack' cards, Young Witch is a curser and... actually, it probably is the most fun curser out there. Eh. Hamlet can be very fun, Remake is... I wouldn't really call it 'fun', but it's certainly a card I like. Menagerie's are fun.

So I'd atually say the power cards average out overall. In my opinion, of course.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 11:13:55 pm »

There's also Horse Traders, which isn't super powerful, but it's good. The only dud in the set is Harvest, which is a card I actually like (and think is just the slightest bit underrated).

chwhite

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:50:48 am »
+3

I didn't vote in this poll and Cornucopia is my favorite set pound-for-pound by far.  The cards are, to quote O, "awesome-fun power cards": Hamlet, Remake and Menagerie are as good as Dominion gets, Young Witch is the only curse-giver weak enough to be interesting (arguably Familiar too, if it wasn't for the early game swinginess), and I actually like Tournament dammit.  My least favorite card in the set is actually Fairgrounds (though Harvest is weakest).

Prosperity is my second favorite set, less because of Colony/Plat and more because of the VP chips- though I do like me some Colony, too. 
To discard or not to discard?  That is the question.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 02:53:35 am »
+1

Oracle at 140...

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:34:14 am »

Oracle at 140...
Maybe because it's so bland?

* Davio hearts Fishing Village, it's such a cute card; the little Village that could. :)

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:40:07 am »

but its not bland, esp. compared to smithy.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:33 am »

but its not bland, esp. compared to smithy.
Inexperience then, probably.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 05:52:06 am »

PHILOSOPHER'S STONE! Why is there no love for the card? :'(

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 06:26:59 am »
+1

PHILOSOPHER'S STONE! Why is there no love for the card? :'(

Maybe because counting the cards isn't fun?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 07:50:18 am »

But the Top 10 kingdom basically would be:
Fishing Village, Bishop, Menagerie, Wharf, Governor, Hamlet, Grand Market, Venture, Salvager, Laboratory
I'm a little surprised by Venture here, but beside of that, there is no really surprise IMHO.
I think it's also very intereting that so "basic" cards like Laboratory (10.) and Festival (12.) ranked so good.

I'm surprised to see salvager, but I like this card.
I HATE Governor and don't understand why it is so high !

The bottom 10 kingdom would be:
Duchess, Thief, Secret Chamber, Stash, Chancellor, Philosopher's Stone, Moat, Transmute, Counting House, Treasure Map
I think there are no big surprises, that these cards ranked very low, but I even expected some other cards like Saboteur in the bottom 10.

No love for chancellor and counting house... :(

Duration cards also ranked very good, only one card is in the bottom half
(Fishing Village 1., Wharf 4., Tactician 27., Caravan 37., Haven 49., Lighthouse 68., Merchant Ship 69., Outpost 106.)
Tactician, caravan and outpost are much more interesting than fishing village and wharf IMO.

The least favourite attacks were Thief 156., Saboteur 144., Bureaucrat 143. and Oracle 140.
Sea Hag (135.) was the least favourite curser. For me it was surprising to see it above Familiar (118.) as everybody complains about its swingyness.

My favourite attacks are Saboteur, Oracle, and fortune teller. They are all too low... Why ?  >:(

My favourite expansions :

1. Cornucopia. I totally agree with chwhite.
2. Seaside or Hinterlands.
4. Prosperity.
5. Intrigue
6. Base
7. Alchemy

8. Promo

Thanks Qvist ! :D

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 08:14:42 am »

Since I missed the original topic :
1. Seaside
2. Cornucopia

3. Hinterlands

4. Base. Yes.
5. Intrigue
6. Prosperity

7. Alchemy

I'm also surprised to see Salvager in the top 10... I like it, but as far as TFB goes, I'd rather have Apprentice in there. And Governor WTF ? I mean, it's definitely an interesting card, and making games shorter is a plus in my book, but still, I'm surprised to see it that high. Also surprised that the bottom 10 is not something like a list of all the cards we love to complain about : Familiar, Swindler, Possession, Tournament, Treasure Map etc.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 11:16:41 am »

Cornucopia minus Tournament
Seaside
Cornucopia as-is
Alchemy
Prosperity
Hinterlands
Base
Intrigue
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +936
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:53 am »

I think this list demonstrates that people find it difficult to separate "strong" from "fun."  Either that or that people purposely equate the two.

Wharf and Laboratory are great cards to have in most decks, but what about them is inherently fun to play?  You draw some cards.  That's it.  There's nothing they do in terms of the process of play that a whole lot of other cards don't also do for you.  (Well, okay, Wharf gets points because it's a duration card, and those are cool generally, but still.)

Meanwhile, Stash near the bottom?  Stash, with its pretty back and totally unique mechanics?  I guess if people find it more tedious than fun to reposition them on a shuffle, okay, but it's suspicious to me that it's the weak fun cards people find tedious, while strong cards people find fun regardless of their distinctiveness as curiosities.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6119
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 11:33:07 am »

Mountebank is a good example of a "strong" card that most do not find "fun".

I think a better distinction to draw is that "fun" cards are closely aligned with "strong engine enablers". 

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

Mountebank is a good example of a "strong" card that most do not find "fun".

I think a better distinction to draw is that "fun" cards are closely aligned with "strong engine enablers". 
Well, sort of. People also dislike tournament and ambassador.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 11:44:48 am »

I think people need to keep in mind that this is a very small sample size, you can't really draw any conclusions from it.
Qvist, you mentioned that you would later add more samples/do something else that's really awesome?
I'd be willing to create a list if you do.
Anyway, my favorite expansions:
1. Seaside
2. Intrigue
3. Cornucopia
4. Dominion
5. Prosperity
6. Alchemy
7. Hinterlands

It's kind of funny that , according to CouncilRoom, Alchemy and Hinterlands are also the sets I play best with.

Edit: Oh, I hate all of the Promo cards.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 20 queries.