Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Simulation Tournament: The (Almost) Worst Bot  (Read 1900 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Simulation Tournament: The (Almost) Worst Bot
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:39:25 am »

I was just messing around with some Duchy / Copper and Province / Silver bots, and it led me to wonder, "What is the worst bot I could make?" I realized that question is sort of lame, considering it's probably just a Curse race. [As a side note, if you could tell the bot to pass a Province to your opponent with Ambassador, it might actually be interesting]. So then I wondered, "What is the worst bot that would win at least one head-to-head with another bot?" And this is your challenge, should you choose to accept it!

This tournament will pit all submitted bots against each other in 2 player simulations. The goal is to create a bot that has the least number of wins in these head-to-head matchups, but gets at least one win. This is a sort of silly simulator tournament, so feel free to submit not-your-best-effort bots that are just for the fun of it if you wish.

The Specs:
Bots: Each bot may reference up to 5 Kingdom cards and any basic cards (including Curse, Potion, Colony, and Platinum).
Bots Per Person: Each player may only submit 1 bot. Otherwise, some weird collusion things might be possible.
Disqualification: Any bot that crashes the simulator or does not guarantee an eventual game ending will be disqualified.
Scoring: Any bot with zero wins gets last place. After that, the bot with the least number of wins is the winner.
Deadline: Midnight EST on June 29th, 2012
Submission: PM me your Geronimoo simulator bot.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
Re: Simulation Tournament: The (Almost) Worst Bot
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 09:04:00 am »
+1

Problem is, no bot can guarantee an eventual ending, as the sim will never take any move that makes it lose. But losing is exactly the point here.

And it's still a race for the Curses, where you have to hope that there's exactly one person who is better to race for the Curses than you. At least I don't see any better strategy how to do this.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Simulation Tournament: The (Almost) Worst Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:33 am »

Problem is, no bot can guarantee an eventual ending, as the sim will never take any move that makes it lose. But losing is exactly the point here.

And it's still a race for the Curses, where you have to hope that there's exactly one person who is better to race for the Curses than you. At least I don't see any better strategy how to do this.

Oh no, I forgot about the "don't make me lose" part of the simulator. That will really ruin this.

As for your second point, I think that there may be some meta-game interactions going on that you aren't taking into account. If you are the only one that makes a Curse-rush bot, then you lose! So, I thought it would be interesting to see how that worked out, but the fact that bots only end the game when they're winning will really screw this up.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.