Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: ...and then the worst deck won  (Read 1812 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
...and then the worst deck won
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:17:12 am »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/14/game-20120614-050546-cdc1448e.html

elephantdog (won) goes for a simple Haggler+Courtyard BM-ish deck for Provinces
afkpuezo (second) goes for Vineyard enabled by Haggler
I (last) go for Duchy-Duke enabled by Haggler (buy Duchy-gain Silver so I shouldn't stall ever)

My strategy was probably not the best because of Saboteur and the Vineyard deck which gets enough time for big Vineyard, but the Province strategy seemed worst because he's alone to empty the 12 Provinces and he's going to stall. Maybe I'm wrong here. (I did get the most awful draws like triple terminal collision etc)

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
Re: ...and then the worst deck won
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 01:59:23 pm »

If the piles didn't empty, he would have stalled.  Maybe in a two player game, one guy goes for either duchy or vineyards and the other guy goes for provinces, the province guy loses.

angrybirds

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:01:22 pm »

One solution here is to anticipate pile ending--I think it would be hard to do--and start buying Dukes once you see the others aren't following you into it. That will make running the Duchies out harder? But then your Dukes are worth less... With two strats using Hagglers it makes for an easier three pile ending.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:55:36 pm »

I think this is a good example of a point about 3-player games I've heard a few times:
With good players they are FAR more likely to end in piles.

With that in mind, slow strategies that would work in 2-player may not work in 3-player. Or have to be substantially modified?

Ed

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »

In 2p, duchy/duke wins because it slows the game down until it's worth more than provinces. But this is a three player game, with all three players buying haggler, and two good 2-cost actions that are guaranteed to empty.

Looking at the final score, you would have lost even if you were given three dukes (or provinces) for free at the end of the game! I think provinces are dominant. (Vineyard/haggler is too awkward.)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »

Multiplayer games go in the direction the players take them rather than towards any predictable outcomes. You can't easily predict that the haggler and native village piles will empty but as soon as it starts happening you need to play accordingly.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.409 seconds with 21 queries.