Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Gilder  (Read 4084 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Card Idea: Gilder
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:29:24 am »
+2

Gilder
Cost: 6
Type: Action

+$1
You may immediately buy a Gilded card.
-----
Setup: Add an extra Kingdom card pile costing $5 or more to the supply. Card from that pile are Gilded cards, and cannot be gained except by playing a Gilder. During the Buy phase of your turn, a Gilded card may either be treated as itself or a Gold, your choice. (In rulebook: If you play a Gilded card as an Action, it cannot later that turn be played as a Gold.)

This card was inspired by a cross of Young Witch and Black Market. It adds a new Kingdom pile of Gilded cards that cannot be gained except by playing a Gilder. A Gilded card is a $5 or more card that can either be played as itself or can be treated as a Gold. Thus if you have a Gilded Trading Post in your hand, you can either play it as a normal Action card, or you can use it like a Gold during your Buy phase. This effect might not help some cards much (Gilded Grand Market, Gilded Bank), but others it could help tremendously. Gilded Duke, Gilded Farmland, and Gilded Fairgrounds would all be able to both be a Gold for now and a Victory later. Are all the Curses gone? Then your Gilded Witch can just be a Gold for you! Gilded Ill-Gotten Gains become Ill-Gotten Golds!

Anyway, enough of the advertisement. Some possible issues:
1. I originally had the cost at $5 and had it give +$2. But, that seemed way too powerful, since it essentially would give you a cheap Gold. Are the costs ok now?
2. The wording is probably not precise enough. Any suggestions?

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: Card Idea: Gilder
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:56:30 am »
+1

This doesn't look strong enough. Consider Black Market: its ability to throw up whole new vistas of cards costs only an action point, when you compare it to the equally-priced silver. You price the ability to access ONE, albeit buffed, stack of cards at an action point and $2 (comparing to gold).  I think Black Market's variety is about equal to your "can treat gilded cards as golds" - maybe a little stronger since with only a single type of card, you know and can plan for exactly what you're getting, and there's a chance the stack will be of $5 which is a considerable buff to have them a gold.

So let's cost it at an action and $1?

That means either have it give $2 when played, or price it at $5 and guarantee the stack will be $5 cards, imo.

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 05:37:35 pm »
+3

Gilder – A craftsman who covers solid surfaces such as wood, stone, or metal with a thin coating of gold.

This was a tough one to find an image for, so I only found one:

Interior of a Frame Gilding Workshop by Louis Emile Adan (1839-1937)
Hi-res version: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/interior-of-a-frame-gilding-workshop-louis-emile-adan.jpg

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

Gilder – A craftsman who covers solid surfaces such as wood, stone, or metal with a thin coating of gold.

This was a tough one to find an image for, so I only found one:

Interior of a Frame Gilding Workshop by Louis Emile Adan (1839-1937)
Hi-res version: http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/interior-of-a-frame-gilding-workshop-louis-emile-adan.jpg

Thanar, you are awesome at this! It's great!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:09 pm »

Totally read that as "Glider" and "Glided card."  I was like - what, is he flying cards in now?  What does that have to do with Gold?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Matt_Arnold

• Thief
  • Designer of "Overworld" by Magic Meeple Games.
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:31:06 pm »
+1

This doesn't look strong enough. Consider Black Market: its ability to throw up whole new vistas of cards costs only an action point, when you compare it to the equally-priced silver. You price the ability to access ONE, albeit buffed, stack of cards at an action point and $2 (comparing to gold).  I think Black Market's variety is about equal to your "can treat gilded cards as golds" - maybe a little stronger since with only a single type of card, you know and can plan for exactly what you're getting, and there's a chance the stack will be of $5 which is a considerable buff to have them a gold.

So let's cost it at an action and $1?

That means either have it give $2 when played, or price it at $5 and guarantee the stack will be $5 cards, imo.
Instead of comparing it to Black Market, try comparing it to Hoard.

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 11:27:38 pm »
+1

I think the wording could use some work :-\ The 5 gold icon I used here was taken from the cost icon, and thus has a larger number than it's supposed to have. If you can condense the setup text enough that I can make that icon bigger, I'll pull the one used in Feast.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 11:34:01 pm by pokeman7452 »

Schneau

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 07:30:45 am »

I think the wording could use some work :-\ The 5 gold icon I used here was taken from the cost icon, and thus has a larger number than it's supposed to have. If you can condense the setup text enough that I can make that icon bigger, I'll pull the one used in Feast.

Yeah, I definitely think the wording needs some work. I think about it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.