Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Dominion Strategy FunSockets Beta Signup  (Read 48576 times)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Strategy FunSockets Beta Signup
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2012, 05:35:16 pm »
+3

THERE IS A LEADERBOARD!
Moreover, you can get to the top by playing a lot.

I love/hate this fact!

If this is the case, I expect WW to top the leaderboard about 3 hours after he's invited to beta.

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

THERE IS A LEADERBOARD!

I love/hate this fact!

If this is the case, I expect WW to top the leaderboard about 3 hours after he's invited to beta.

3?
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »

THERE IS A LEADERBOARD!

I love/hate this fact!

And I expect you all to blackball me ;)
The love/hate comment is because it means I get to the top by playing a lot, which means I have  decently good chance to play a lot, but it also gives me an incentive to have no life play a lot.
Overall, I think systems rewarding quantity over quality of play are sub-optimal, but I'm going to assume the thing isn't near finalized. Also, I have no idea whatsoever about how it actually works. So you can assume most of what I say about it at this point is a joke.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:44 pm »
+1

I asked Trisha, and she asked that we not talk about it too much on this forum, because they are still trying to control the flow of information.  (For example: NEW DOMINION ONLINE SUX BECAUSE IT DOESN'T [xxx].  FS fixes [xxx].  Someone googling for online Dominion finds [xxx] and concludes that online Dominion sucks.)

That having been said, since most of this forum will be beta testing it soon anyway, it will soon be unrealistic to have a communications blackout on this forum, especially as the site matures.  So it's not infinite.
Make this subforum only visible to members, not to guests. Bam.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »

THERE IS A LEADERBOARD!

I love/hate this fact!
The bots are ranked, that's the trick. So, no-one's on, play against the bot, beat it, advance. The bot was initially randomly given a rating of 20. Now it has lost enough that it's not visible, because the leaderboard doesn't scroll. I got my games in when beating the bot meant something.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

I asked Trisha, and she asked that we not talk about it too much on this forum, because they are still trying to control the flow of information.  (For example: NEW DOMINION ONLINE SUX BECAUSE IT DOESN'T [xxx].  FS fixes [xxx].  Someone googling for online Dominion finds [xxx] and concludes that online Dominion sucks.)

That having been said, since most of this forum will be beta testing it soon anyway, it will soon be unrealistic to have a communications blackout on this forum, especially as the site matures.  So it's not infinite.

I think Trisha's concern will still exist if it is viewable by anyone who has registered, but I asked.

I think it'd definitely be OK if the subforum is limited to those with beta invites ... but that means I have to add every single member to that subforum as beta testing grows ...  :'(

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2012, 06:08:06 pm »

In all fairness, it should have been fairly obvious there would be a leaderboard by looking at the funsockets homepage: http://www.funsockets.com/#/home

It is very exciting, nonetheless!
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 06:09:33 pm »

I think Trisha's concern will still exist if it is viewable by anyone who has registered, but I asked.

I think it'd definitely be OK if the subforum is limited to those with beta invites ... but that means I have to add every single member to that subforum as beta testing grows ...  :'(
Make it only members with at least 20 posts.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 06:11:49 pm »

THERE IS A LEADERBOARD!

I love/hate this fact!
The bots are ranked, that's the trick. So, no-one's on, play against the bot, beat it, advance. The bot was initially randomly given a rating of 20. Now it has lost enough that it's not visible, because the leaderboard doesn't scroll. I got my games in when beating the bot meant something.

Ah. Makes sense.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 06:20:13 pm »

I was on vacation when the beta went live on the front page and the initial signups were made. I assumed I'd missed my chance because surely all the testers they'd need are signed up by now, but perhaps I'm wrong? I wouldn't be prioritized for any reason but I am still interested in testing and giving input if that's a possibility. Is it still worth it for someone like me, a middle-level player and frequent poster on the forum, to sign up?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2012, 06:23:56 pm »
+1

Yes.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »

I think that her concern shouldn't exist for that situation.  The question is one of whether the posts can be found by a spider.  If they can, that's bad.  If they can't, who cares?  One might suggest that one of their aims ought to be to impress people on this board, which ought to encourage discussion here; making the forum viewable only by members will hide it from the public while keeping open discussion here.

In fact, I'd strongly suggest they should have a forum for discussion among beta testers, whether it's here or elsewhere.

Consider:  If you toss "Dominion Forum Mafia" into Google, you get the "discussion of Mafia discussion" thread, and a bunch of random posts where people mention the Mafia games, but no posts from the Mafia subforum.  The beta discussion would be instantly non-public.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:47 pm »
+4

I created such a forum.

rrenaud has submitted our signup list.  Many of you should expect to start receiving invites soon.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »

It's been a week since the last invites went out! Hoping there is more today *fingers crossed*
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:10 pm »

I'm in!  Guess not all the invites had gone out.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 10:54:41 am »

How are the invites being decided past the people who contributed articles?  Postcount?  Respect?  I might have some work to do despite being a registered member for over a year...

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 11:17:20 am »

How are the invites being decided past the people who contributed articles?  Postcount?  Respect?  I might have some work to do despite being a registered member for over a year...

I believe it was first come first served after the original "rewards"
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Elysium

• Steward
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 11:27:41 am »

Hmm, I signed up on the first day I think.  Not sure how many hours after it went live.  Guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 12:17:33 pm »

Rewards?

FWIW I got into the beta without contributing any articles or such.  I don't think I signed up until a week after the form went live.  I do post a lot though.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »

Rewards?

FWIW I got into the beta without contributing any articles or such.  I don't think I signed up until a week after the form went live.  I do post a lot though.

I think he means that some precedence was being given to active forum members & front page article contributors, but if I recall those were going out WITH order of sign up as well, if you waited a week I think you got in based on activity.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 12:28:43 pm »

I think he means that some precedence was being given to active forum members & front page article contributors, but if I recall those were going out WITH order of sign up as well, if you waited a week I think you got in based on activity.

Correct - if I understand it correctly - there were about ~20 people who met the "reward" criteria (code contributions, articles, etc.).  The rest were first come / first served.  Theory would need to weigh in on the exact ordering of the list, and then people with access would need to roleclaim in order to figure out how far down the list we currently are.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 12:30:13 pm »

I was 51 on the submitted list

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2012, 12:31:58 pm »
+1

Liar - I was 51! Vote: Insomniac-X

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2012, 12:33:20 pm »

Liar - I was 51! Vote: Insomniac-X

Please you were like second probably, you have HOW many articles on the FP?

Lynch all counterclaims
Vote: Captain_Frisk

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:58 pm »

OK, colour me just slightly paranoid, maybe, but I got an email today which claimed to be inviting me to the Dominion online beta - but I don't remotely recognise the site it's directing me to, and it's not what I expected it would be based on this forum.  Can someone confirm, please, by PM if necessary, that I'm looking at the right invitation and not going to get my identity stolen or whatever if I visit this site?  I can't find any mention of it on google, or on this site, which makes me a little nervy.  I'm eager to participate, but not if it's not the right thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.