Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Why Tournament should be hated...maybe  (Read 2569 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Why Tournament should be hated...maybe
« on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:04 pm »
+1

I go for an IGG rush, my opponent goes for tournaments.

I win the first prize.

The reason that this is a maybe is that, well, maybe it's not so much that tournament is swingy but that I was absurdly lucky.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120612-141301-8ddb6670.html

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +749
    • View Profile
Re: Why Tournament should be hated...maybe
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 09:22:42 pm »

I go for an IGG rush, my opponent goes for tournaments.

I win the first prize.

The reason that this is a maybe is that, well, maybe it's not so much that tournament is swingy but that I was absurdly lucky.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120612-141301-8ddb6670.html
+1 for telling the absolute truth. Once had a game (IRL I belive[or maybe it was iso, I dunno.]) I opened Tournament, had more Tournaments then he did, got the first Province, and he managed to get Followers and Trusty Steed! :o
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:54:52 am »

Also, you got your Provinces right before reshuffling, while your opponent got his at the beginning of the shuffle. Still really lucky with only one Tournament to his seven.

Although it's hard to feel too guilty when you would've won either way.
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:00 am »
+3

1. There's nothing to get from tournament that is worthwhile
2. You grabbed a duchy, and he resigned shortly after, I think this shows the power of IGG
3. Also, probably shows the weakness of develop.  It's not good as an opener.

There may be reasons to hate the variance tournament creates, this is not one of them. 

For the record, I agree with chwhite that tournament games have a lot more skill than people give credit (unless it is coming out of black market, that just sucks).

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:32:33 pm »

Yeah...I'm not even a little convinced that Toshimo's approach was good for getting to Provinces. Sure, Developing a $3 cost card into Tournament/Haven sounds nice for going for Prizes, but look at his (her?) turn 5--Developed an Estate into a Develop, and bought nothing instead of a Silver, another Develop he was so fond of, or even a Haven.

And by the time he actually got to buying a Province, on Turn 10, by first playing 5 Tournaments, you had already bought 5 Ill-Gotten Gains. Your deck was in much better shape, and you naturally can grab Provinces your next 2 turns, and end up blocking him once, then winning a Duchy.

I guess you had more luck in getting a Tournament to connect first, but you did have fewer cards in your deck, as well as more Provinces, plus the Tournament wasn't even hugely influential by the time you won your Duchy--IGG nullifies Followers, there's no engine for Princess or Diadem, so that leaves BoG and Trusty Steed, here I'd probably TS and tend to use it for flipping+Silvers.

But anyway, the real point I'm trying to make is that this game is not good as an example if someone wants to argue that Tournament is a low-skill high-luck card; knowing when a card is a good play is an important skill, and Tournament just wasn't that good for that board.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:56 pm »

Just noticed that you could have ended the game on Turn 15 by winning a Princess and buying the last two Tournaments, preventing your opponent from resigning.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:31:24 pm by hdu88 »
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

mnavratil

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +83
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 06:54:11 pm »

I also never understood why people get just SO many tournaments. Sure, early game they are a $4 peddler, but late game they become pretty much dead cards. It's not like you need really that many to line one up with a province.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.979 seconds with 21 queries.