Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Royal Navy  (Read 2795 times)

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Royal Navy
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:51:02 pm »

After much discussion with friends and reading this forum, my friend and I have created this card:

I understand that I am far from the first to have this idea, although I did create it before I read anyone else' fan cards. I also see that I violated 2 "rules" of creating fan cards listed in the guide. The final rule, "screw all the listed rules if it's fun" does hold here as my friend and I like this card very much. My main reason of posting it here is to look for improvement to the wording and price.

The card has gone through multiple designs, although the reaction part has remained the same. It was first a 7-cost +1 card, +3 actions Action-Reaction, but that was quickly deemed too powerful and the lack of victory points from a fleet made no sense to the role player in me. Then it changed to a 6-cost 2VP Victory-Reaction, but many people missed the decision of using the card for it's action or it's reaction. So now it is back to a terminal Action-Reaction that provides victory tokens (but replaces itself in your hand.) The high cost is to make sure attack cards are still viable in a kingdom with this card, but I would be willing to drop it to 6 you think that is more reasonable. Input would be greatly appreciated.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:41 pm »
+1

There are two major problems I have with this card. One of them is the 'attack the attacker' thing. But ok, if you really like that, roll with it. The other is that it's basically worthless without attack, and actually not that strong with them either. Heck, you could cost the thing at 3, and I still think I wouldn't like it all that much.
I mean, you're paying 7 to destroy their card that costs less than 7. In the meantime, this card is not that useful to you. And they get at LEAST one play out of it before it's destroyed. Ergo this card is super weak.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »
+1

I think it would work well at 2$, with the requirement that the card be trashed if the reaction is used.  That way you trade a 2$ for their 4$ or 5$.  You want to make sure the attack the attacker aspect doesn't discourage buying attacks totally, and an one shot version of the card seems a smart way to do that.  If no one has a Royal Navy, it's worth it to buy a Militia.  But then someone buys a Royal Navy and you have a risk when you play attacks. 

If we're doing flavor, why not make it a Duration card since it has a Maritime theme?
A terminal Lighthouse with a VP chip and a different reaction sounds good.

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »

Thanks for the input! I never thought about this card in a mathematical sense, I made it so expensive because I didn't want it to shut down attack heavy decks too fast. Now that I think about it, I can make the action part very powerful so that people would not want to discard it for the reaction. This would also make it work in no-attack kingdoms. I have therefore combined it with the original draft:

I'm afraid to make it +1 card +1/2/3 action +1 VT because that would make it chain-able VTs. Right now I think it compares well to Nobles, and thus have made it 6$.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »

Definitely better. 

bedlam

• Bishop
  • Respect: +72
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:21 pm »

How do you create those card images?

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 12:26:48 am »

GIMP and my own card scans. I was considering making a thread offering to make other people's ideas into cards. They are really fun to make.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:41:27 am »

ooh! Do my whole set!

please?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:46 am »

If you have a template file, it might be nice to upload that somewhere public.  Actually, I bet it already exists somewhere, for Photoshop at least.  Does GIMP take PSD files?

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 01:39:21 am »

I would rather continue this conversation in the thread I made about this so this thread can be about the Royal Navy card. I did find 2 card templates online and I used one of them for my first card, but I had issues with them both at some point and decided I would be better off just using my own scans. They are higher resolution anyway. I have not made a template for myself, having a massive list of layers that I don't plan on using just wastes space and time. I make the details as I need them, or pull them from my other cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.