Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My new favorite double-Tactician game  (Read 2694 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
My new favorite double-Tactician game
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201107/14/game-20110714-142142-115e82fa.html

This one's got it all:

-Double Tactician, The Best Draw Engine(TM)
-Black Market: Great for double-Tac decks, and it also served as a critical source of engine cards.
-Outpost, for double-doubleTac turns! Bonus: I got the Outpost off the Black Market.
-Other notable BM pulls: Chapel (early enough to be useful), Throne Room (literally the only +2action source in this game), Laboratory (chosen early over Hoard, correctly I think)
-Ignoble BM temptation: Goons. I bought it and never used it. Gold would have been much better. Without actually looking at the BM deck, I figured I'd find another +2actions source in there.
-Other obvious mistake: I took 2 Duchies on my last turn, forgetting that Fairgrounds were available for 6 VPs instead of 3.
-Gained 4 Provinces with Horn of Plenty, including this gem of a turn:

Code: [Select]
— guided's turn 16 —
guided picks up a card from a Haven.
guided picks up a card from a Haven.
guided draws 5 cards and gets +1 action and +1 buy from the Tactician.
guided plays a Throne Room.
... and plays a Laboratory.
... ... drawing 2 cards and getting +1 action.
... and plays the Laboratory again.
... ... drawing 2 cards and getting +1 action.
guided plays a Haven.
... drawing 1 card and getting +1 action.
... setting aside a card.
guided plays an Outpost.
guided plays a Black Market.
... getting +$2.
... drawing a Navigator, a Duke, and a Quarry from the Black Market deck.
... playing a Gold, a Silver, and 4 Coppers.
... playing a Horn of Plenty.
... ... gaining a Province.
... ... trashing the Horn of Plenty.
... playing a Horn of Plenty.
... ... gaining a Province.
... ... trashing the Horn of Plenty.
... returning a Navigator, a Duke, and a Quarry to the bottom of the Black Market deck.
guided plays a Tactician.
... discarding the hand (2 cards).
guided buys a Province.
guided buys a Silver.

...followed by the Outpost turn where I ended the game.

I had an inordinate amount of fun with this game.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: My new favorite double-Tactician game
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 06:14:15 pm »

Not really worth another thread but shortly after the above game I stumbled upon an interesting 2-card engine: Apprentice/Mint. This one was a Colony game but something similar (with Gold instead of Platinum) would work almost as well in a Province game:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201107/14/game-20110714-150600-2fc9fd79.html

Here's the archetypical turn, after I got a Mint and trashed down to the deck of Apprentice*2/Mint/Platinum*3/Copper + green cards

— guided's turn 13 —
guided plays an Apprentice.
... trashing a Platinum.
... drawing 4 cards and getting +1 action.
guided plays a Mint.
... revealing a Platinum and gaining another one.
guided plays 2 Platinums and a Copper.
guided buys a Colony.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:40:28 am by guided »

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »

Yes, I like Apprentice with Hoard for the same reason.  Also, to a lesser degree, Ironworks.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:47:34 pm »

I like the double tactician too. It's probably one of the more difficult decks to pull off since it's frequently too slow to build or fails when the deck expands with green cards. I can remember one game playing tactician-vault-tactician where I managed to

- discard all my cards with the vault so playing the tactician did nothing (forgetful)
- miss clicking on an estate so I only discarded enough cards with the vault for 7 coins (clumsy)
- not draw my vault or tactician because they were at the end of the deck (unlucky)
- trash down my deck so I didn't actually have enough cards left to generate 8 coins with the vault (stupid)

Despite all that mismanagement I still won the game, so it can't that bad a strategy!

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »

Yes, I like Apprentice with Hoard for the same reason.  Also, to a lesser degree, Ironworks.
Not really in the same league of reliability at all.

My standard Apprentice-based engine is Apprentice/University. Typically there's another helpful $5 action too.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:07 am »

In a Province game (where your engine is supposed to work almost as well), it seems even more reliable. Both engines to keep fueled require you to draw the Mint or the Hoard every turn. If you've gotten to the point where that's happening, then presumably you can afford to buy VPs every turn and get that Gold. And Hoard contributes $2 to that, which Mint doesn't.

guided

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:56:34 am »

In a Province game (where your engine is supposed to work almost as well), it seems even more reliable. Both engines to keep fueled require you to draw the Mint or the Hoard every turn. If you've gotten to the point where that's happening, then presumably you can afford to buy VPs every turn and get that Gold. And Hoard contributes $2 to that, which Mint doesn't.
The key point you're overlooking is that Mint lets you trash a bunch of Copper when you buy it. Also, even if you assume you've dumped all the Copper you need to dump, the Mint engine works much better in Colony games.

If you ignore Mint's trashing advantage, yes, Hoard is slightly superior to Mint in the completed, trimmed engine for Province games.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 10:01:04 am by guided »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.