Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: I'll trade that Province for 16 bucks  (Read 3104 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
I'll trade that Province for 16 bucks
« on: June 12, 2012, 05:53:03 pm »

Post your game log here where you trade your Province away for 8 Silvers (bonus for Colony trading :) )

(turn 11)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-144225-9da41c85.html

I got off to a very fast start here with 2 Provinces to their zero, so I figured I could easily trade the Province for 8 Silvers right before my reshuffle and assurer myself of a string of Province buys. Not saying it's the optimal play, but it sure is fun :)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Re: I'll trade that Province for 16 bucks
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 06:02:57 pm »

I've only ever done it in a Possession hand, it's still pretty satisfying.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 07:43:30 pm »

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I once played a Masquerade and passed a Province rather than a Copper so I could be sure to buy the last Province and win by 1. I'll look for the log.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:29:12 pm »

Sorry for going slightly off-topic, but I once played a Masquerade and passed a Province rather than a Copper so I could be sure to buy the last Province and win by 1. I'll look for the log.
I've done this on a number of occasions. What I find more impressive, and which I've also done, is to pass a province, anticipating getting a copper back, with that copper getting me the extra $1 I need to get up to just barely 8 and win. Which is usually a stupid move, but occasionally the right one.
Between is knowing that a copper will give your opponent the money he needs, so passing him a duchy or something to stop him from ending the game right now. Of course, to do this, you generally need to have been keeping track amazingly well of his deck. And you almost always lose anyway.

Also, the log won't help much, because you can't see what you pass.....

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 01:06:40 am »

Post your game log here where you trade your Province away for 8 Silvers (bonus for Colony trading :) )

(turn 11)
http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/12/game-20120612-144225-9da41c85.html
Off topic, but what was your reasoning for opening Ambassador and then Trading it on Turn 3? Fooling your opponents? Or just something like letting fate (ie. terminal collision) guide you?

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 03:30:56 am »

I planned to open Trader/Silver because I figured my two low level opponents would go Ambassador for sure. Then one of them opened Noble Brigand so I changed Silver to Ambassador to avoid the early game stealing. If everyone opens Trader I don't think I ever want the Ambassador.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:08 am »
+1

I think I've done this once or twice in a Gardens game.

Edit: This was a fun turn:

Previous clean-up:
(Davio draws: a Copper, a Province, an Upgrade, a Gold, and a Silver.)

— Your turn 18 —
You play an Upgrade.
... You draw a Silver and get +1 action.
... You trash a Province.
... You gain nothing.

You play a Copper, a Gold, and 2 Silvers.
You buy a Province.
(You reshuffle.)

So I trashed a Province for nothing, because I had exactly $8 for the last one.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:50:13 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

flip314

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 03:18:09 am »

Don't have the log, but I did it in a game where my opponent had Pirate Shipped away all my money and there wasn't good money from actions.  I was clearly too far ahead to be caught, and he just wanted to be difficult.  There was one province left and that seemed the quickest way to be able to end the game.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 10:58:44 pm »

I've done this on a number of occasions. What I find more impressive, and which I've also done, is to pass a province, anticipating getting a copper back, with that copper getting me the extra $1 I need to get up to just barely 8 and win. Which is usually a stupid move, but occasionally the right one.
Between is knowing that a copper will give your opponent the money he needs, so passing him a duchy or something to stop him from ending the game right now. Of course, to do this, you generally need to have been keeping track amazingly well of his deck. And you almost always lose anyway.

Also, the log won't help much, because you can't see what you pass.....

I haven't done anything quite that awesome. I did however have a game the other day where I had exactly $8 in my hand on my opponent's turn, with 1 Province left that I needed for the win. He played Masq, forcing me to pass a Copper and giving something else back. But then.l. He played another Masq, I passed back what he gave, and he gave me my Copper back!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.