Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: US nationals in Chicago  (Read 4914 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
US nationals in Chicago
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:07:25 pm »

A few questions for anyone on the know:

1- I understand it is in Chicago in the next month or so. Has a date been set? Are there any other details?

2- I understand that winners of regional tournaments get free rides to nationals. Apart from the three regional tournaments I've seen promoted on this board I haven't heard anything else about regionals. I'm assuming I won't get to one before nationals. Is nationals open for people that pay their own way? Or us it just going to be the half dozen people (less?) that won the regionals?

3- I think this is true, but just to verify: the worlds at gen con are NOT open. Only participants are national champions? (if it was open I would be booking my trip to gen con now, but looking at the schedule and my limited interest on non-Dominion, I don't think I would go unless there was a chance to play some Dominion there)

Ed

Rav950

• Swindler
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
    • Chicago Toy & Game
Re: US nationals in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:14 pm »

I do know that nationals in Chicago are 7/13 - 7/14 (with 7/14 being the actual tournament date?). I believe that Jay is communicating directly with the qualifying finalists, and that if he intended to open it out to more people I would know (because its of intense interest and scrutiny to me right now).

I would imagine that there will be a means to accommodate on-site players at GenCon.... but I'd expect it to be chancy that you'd even be able to get in on it given that last year's tournament was impromptu and filled up 100% on the spot. (last year's tournament info courtesy of one of Jay's volunteers to me over the weekend)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:27:38 pm »

I was under the impression that we'd hold a FunSockets US qualifier (well we didn't know it'd be FunSockets at the time).  I suppose I should contact Jay to see if we should still gun for that, or just host one on Isotropic.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:52 pm »

I was under the impression that we'd hold a FunSockets US qualifier (well we didn't know it'd be FunSockets at the time).  I suppose I should contact Jay to see if we should still gun for that, or just host one on Isotropic.
Given that the beta hasn't started yet, the nationals are like a month away, and it takes time to organize and run a tournament, I don't think the funsockets thing has basically any chance of happening this year.
Heck, I don't know whether you can get *anything* done in time at this point.

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 12:34:17 am »

I was under the impression that nationals was only for people who won a regional qualifier, which is a shame given how little we've heard about them. Who knows, if there ends up being very few people, I would imagine they might have to open it up to others.

Invincible Overlord

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:34:15 pm »

Can someone tell me the exact date(s) of the World Championships in Indianapolis please?

nopawnsintended

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +186
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 06:41:21 pm »

As a Chicago resident and Dominion fan, will there be a chance to be a spectator at the Nationals in Chicago?

dmk

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:33:34 pm »

Does anyone have a contact for someone I can speak with regarding the US nationals tournament?

I played in a regional qualifier today and won it, but the organizer said that only hotel was provided and that travel (airfare) was up to the qualifier to pony up. Can anyone that has won a regional qualifier confirm or deny that this is the case? And who can I speak to about this? It seems really odd that airfare wouldn't be included for a qualifier like this and I'll be pretty upset if I can't attend...

Also, have there been any announcements regarding prize support for the US nationals? Or is it just 1st goes to worlds and that is it?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 10:12:32 pm »

Can someone tell me the exact date(s) of the World Championships in Indianapolis please?

http://www.gencon.com/
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:28:02 am »

I was under the impression that nationals was only for people who won a regional qualifier, which is a shame given how little we've heard about them. Who knows, if there ends up being very few people, I would imagine they might have to open it up to others.
This is correct.

As a Chicago resident and Dominion fan, will there be a chance to be a spectator at the Nationals in Chicago?
I assume so.  I can ask and figure out when/where it is.

Does anyone have a contact for someone I can speak with regarding the US nationals tournament?

I played in a regional qualifier today and won it, but the organizer said that only hotel was provided and that travel (airfare) was up to the qualifier to pony up. Can anyone that has won a regional qualifier confirm or deny that this is the case? And who can I speak to about this? It seems really odd that airfare wouldn't be included for a qualifier like this and I'll be pretty upset if I can't attend...
PM "riogames" on BoardGameGeek.

Also, have there been any announcements regarding prize support for the US nationals? Or is it just 1st goes to worlds and that is it?
I think that's it.  I don't know though.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.