Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: FG is a trap  (Read 2079 times)

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
FG is a trap
« on: June 12, 2012, 01:19:58 am »
+2

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201206/11/game-20120611-221609-f29aa037.html
Against Obi, fg/HT is a mediocre first player opening... I need to get better at engines...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: FG is a trap
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:02:18 am »

There's one particular case in which Fool's Gold is definitely a trap: when there's Vineyard with anything approaching support on the board.

I first saw this against ednever in the one day cup.  I get 10 Fool's Golds, but this is never enough to empty the Province stack single handed.  Village/Bridge and cheap cantrips make Vineyards explosively good.

Since then I've had the pleasure of playing the other side once, against Suspiri.  Here the cantrips are more expensive, and the Buys come from Market, but Jack and Oasis allow me to get away without buying Treasure.  My uncontested Witchery muddies the waters as the Curses are crippling for Fool's Gold.

(None of this explains the game in the OP.)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 08:22:32 am »

Fool's gold's a pretty strong BM strategy, but a lot weaker in colony games, and strong engines will be able to hammer it pretty well anyway.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 12:54:32 pm »
+4

That game is incredibly tricky and I doubt I could have come up with this set up for an engine myself. What Obi Wan Bonogi is doing is using Horse Traders as virtual coin while he clears out his deck with Loan. Horse Traders, being ideal for getting to $5, let's him set up a small Hunting Party stack so he can play his Loan again and again and again. He doesn't buy any other treasure until he's gotten rid of 5 of his Coppers and instead relies on the Horse Traders and big hand sizes to keep his money at a useful level. Once most of his Coppers are gone he uses activated Cities, an Expand, and a minimal amount of treasure to ramp up really quickly.

I think Jfrisch made a tactical error when he bought out all the FGs. He should have left some Fool's Golds behind so Obi Wan would have had to buy them to activate Cities himself (which would have hurt the power of his Hunting Parties). Obi Wan could have just bought them with his extra Buys and then Expanded or Loaned them out, but that would have really slowed him down. Not sure if that would have really swung the game hugely as Obi Wan's deck is just so well crafted to work off Kingdom synergies. A Fool's Gold deck doesn't get along as well with Hunting Party, Loan and Expand, as Obi Wan's engine does.

That is a beautiful engine, and his ability to see and then craft it is probably why Obi Wan is such a strong player.

carstimon

• Golem
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »

I'd like to hear from Obi Wan Bonogi (or anybody else) what the plan was for cities if Jfrisch didn't activate them.  My guess is that they were only picked up for the +action, to be able to play oracle, expand, horse traders.  So if the cities didn't get activated would you have needed more hunting parties?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 01:53:35 pm »

I'd like to hear from Obi Wan Bonogi (or anybody else) what the plan was for cities if Jfrisch didn't activate them.  My guess is that they were only picked up for the +action, to be able to play oracle, expand, horse traders.  So if the cities didn't get activated would you have needed more hunting parties?

He could have gone with a Rabble/City/Hunting Party draw engine. It's not as fast, but it is effective and once he was able to play multiple Rabbles a turn he could really cripple Jfrisch's ability to line up enough FGs to buy Colonies/Provinces. I think he only bought the Oracle opportunistically and would have considered Expanding it if given the opportunity.

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 02:05:57 pm »

I didn't anticipate unlocking cities.  I would've gone more HP.  As is I still should've had another HP or two.  The loan+horse trader synergy combined with powerful 5 buys is so strong.  And ultimately Plat is a much better card than FG.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 20 queries.