Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Dominion 101: The Village  (Read 36395 times)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion 101: The Village
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2011, 12:03:35 pm »

But guided, you are absolutely right, that some logs cant give much support on these things, cause they are too old, to be played good by me or they lagg the combination of these cards in the openings.
Yeah, I'm not trying to say your logs prove you're wrong about opening Village, just that they don't prove you're right as you'd seemed to suggest they did ;)

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »

Hehe, when did I suggest a single log to prove something?  ::)  I only draw conclusion from stats (winrates) based on cards, even when I know that they also lack causality sometimes. Overall we have a similiar opinion on this matter anyway.

You can tell what date a game was played by looking in the URL. That particular game was from 26 May of this year, less than two months ago.

Good point, didnt know that they show date in URL. At first I wanted to say, that 2 months are long time in skill development, but then I saw, that i had same level back then  ;)

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2011, 12:58:13 pm »

Hehe, when did I suggest a single log to prove something?  ::)
You brought up your 8:2 Village/Peddler record just for giggles perhaps, without expecting us to draw any inferences from it about your qualifications to advocate the strength of Village openings in these games? :P

I'm not one to use people's game records as a club to beat down their reasoned arguments, but when I see a player's game record used as an argument itself I'm happy to dig deeper and see whether the record actually supports the argument. Sometimes it does! and sometimes it doesn't.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 01:00:46 pm by guided »

Tama

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2011, 10:21:12 am »

If you buy smithy workshop and then proceed with village smithy you end up on par if not faster than a smithy big money build (depending on other available cards). At the Australian National Championship none of the top four finalists realised that smithy workshop would have given them better chances to win.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2011, 10:34:29 am »

If you buy smithy workshop and then proceed with village smithy you end up on par if not faster than a smithy big money build (depending on other available cards). At the Australian National Championship none of the top four finalists realised that smithy workshop would have given them better chances to win.
Except that that's not true. I spent about 15 minutes playing around with the simulator and can't get it better than about a 1:2 disadvantage for the workshop player against the unoptimized smithy bot. Now, make it a colony game, and maybe you've got a point. Also make it a fishing village instead, and maybe you have to throw in a +buy, and you've probably also got a point. But just workshop/village/smithy vs smithy doesn't work - it's too slow.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2011, 10:36:30 am »

Except that that's not true. I spent about 15 minutes playing around with the simulator and can't get it better than about a 1:2 disadvantage for the workshop player against the unoptimized smithy bot. Now, make it a colony game, and maybe you've got a point. Also make it a fishing village instead, and maybe you have to throw in a +buy, and you've probably also got a point. But just workshop/village/smithy vs smithy doesn't work - it's too slow.

I add 10 minutes not getting better than 1:9...

Edit: Especially for 4 player you have even less time to get an engine running than in 2 player.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.