Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: IsoDom 5: Round 1 Thread  (Read 37878 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
IsoDom 5: Round 1 Thread
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:31:38 pm »
+1

It is ON!

I'm not going to spend the time typing out all the pairings here.  Pairings are at:

http://isodom.challonge.com

Top players are in Bracket A, low-rank players are in Bracket C.  There is one bye each round in both A and B.

Matches are best-of-five, but do not play a sixth if there is a draw (i.e. 2-2-1) at that point.

Match results are due by Monday 18 June at 06:00 EDT/10:00 GMT.  Finish your matches by Sunday, in other words, unless you plan to get up early Monday morning.  Note that due to the nature of a Swiss tournament, unplayed matches cannot be made up.  Rules about dropouts are in the signup thread.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:48:40 am by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: IsoDom 5: Round 1 Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:44:42 pm »

Do we play all 5 regardless? If someone wins 3-0, does it just end?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »

Do you mean June 18? I thought the rounds were a week long.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:06:25 pm »

Do we play all 5 regardless? If someone wins 3-0, does it just end?

Yes, they're best-of-five.  Only the match win counts.

Do you mean June 18? I thought the rounds were a week long.

Apparently I'm unable to look at a calendar properly.  Fixed.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

b33

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:26:08 pm »

Do we send you the logs for each match after we play them?

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »

Do we send you the logs for each match after we play them?

Post the logs to this thread, along with analysis if you like.  I'll try to post a format in the first post in a bit.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 02:15:49 pm »

blueblimp 3 - andwilk 2

Game 1: blueblimp 41 - andwilk 24
Game 2: andwilk 39 - blueblimp 32
Game 3: blueblimp 37 - andwilk 30
Game 4: andwilk 47 - blueblimp 41
Game 5: blueblimp 32 - andwilk 21

Boring boards overall. First player won every time.

The most interesting game was game 3, where my attempt to build a HoP-megaturn engine was derailed by some poor early draws ($2 on T3, Upgrade on Copper on T6) but then got some good luck later on to win anyway.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:29:39 pm by blueblimp »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 02:33:17 pm »
+1

blueblimp 3 - andwilk 2

The most interesting game was game 3, where my attempt to build a HoP-megaturn engine was derailed by some poor early draws ($2 on T3, Upgrade on Copper on T6) but then got some good luck later on to win anyway.
They don't look TOO boring. But not so great. Except game 3, where there's a LOT of stuff that looks reasonable, without anything being very strong at all. Lots of options there.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:44:00 pm »

blueblimp 3 - andwilk 2

They don't look TOO boring. But not so great. Except game 3, where there's a LOT of stuff that looks reasonable, without anything being very strong at all. Lots of options there.

Well, I'd summarize as:

Game 1: To me this is obviously a Ghost Ship slog. I get a Trader to clear some clutter to help mitigate later Ghost Ship plays, but since he picks up a Smugglers early (which seems like a clear mistake to me), I don't have to worry. I feel I read this board better.

Game 2: Our strategies here are very similar and I think this was mostly decided by whose Mountebanks hit better. His decision to get two Mountebanks instead of just one was possibly better, but maybe less significant than the curse moating.

Game 3: This is a pretty interesting board, yeah, but the early draws I have, combined with his VP pressure from the tunnels, mean I don't have as much time to build as I would like. So my engine is bad, but then by luck just barely works out later on (on turn 17 I double Province). So I felt my play decisions were mostly overridden by luck, which thankfully tilted in my favour.

Game 4: This was frustrating because he went Noble Brigand early, and despite me having a Moneylender and preferring action money over Silver and Gold, I lose anyway. Plus the Alchemist engine here looked pretty reasonable, although in hindsight maybe there wasn't enough opportunity to really explode. Also, I didn't put enough forethought into using the Farmlands.

Game 5: I transition from Masquerade BM into Envoy BM by passing him my Masquerade. He does something complicated that doesn't really work out, although maybe if he were first player...

I may just be spoiled by playing too many interesting boards on alts, where nowadays I mostly will bias Prosperity, sometimes along with some other interesting expansion. With these biases, pretty much every game is interesting.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:49:15 pm by blueblimp »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »

blueblimp 3 - andwilk 2

Well, I'd summarize as:

Game 1: To me this is obviously a Ghost Ship slog. I get a Trader to clear some clutter to help mitigate later Ghost Ship plays, but since he picks up a Smugglers early (which seems like a clear mistake to me), I don't have to worry. I feel I read this board better.
Also a ghost ship slog to me. Except, I really really don't like trader here. A huge huge thing is playing your GS every turn, and then you gold is pretty important. Lots of silvers can detract from your ability to GS (and slow you down getting there), and looking at a hand of 3 silver doesn't do you a lot when on the receiving end of the attack. Don't think I really like smugglers either, though I'm a touch less sure about it.

Game 2: Our strategies here are very similar and I think this was mostly decided by whose Mountebanks hit better. His decision to get two Mountebanks instead of just one was possibly better, but maybe less significant than the curse moating.
You both ignore jack in favour of remake, which I find quite questionable here. Now, you do want mountebank at some point, so doublejack is far less appealing, but... well, inn is going to work sorta nice with the jack, and remake is just not so appealing at all on me to this board. It slows you down more early on, which is important. And later, it's also not as good, I don't think. At some point, monuments can be important, too, but it really depends on how things shape up. You have to balance your terminals and inns...

Game 3: This is a pretty interesting board, yeah, but the early draws I have, combined with his VP pressure from the tunnels, mean I don't have as much time to build as I would like. So my engine is bad, but then by luck just barely works out later on (on turn 17 I double Province). So I felt my play decisions were mostly overridden by luck, which thankfully tilted in my favour.
Okay, so much that can go on here. The HoP mega-turn strategy. Well, the problem here is, to get it to work, you need lots of HoP, probably a few upgrades to trash, and the other nicest cards are... Lab and highway. Everything costs 5, and it's very hard to get it all together. Now it still might work, but... well, I can't say I like the coppersmith. It doesn't work well with the oasis, it doesn't work well with the upgrade. It does work well with labs, of course. Upgrade also, synergizes with highway (on this board), lab, not so much with coppersmith, oasis. Oasis goes with lab and tunnel, but not HoP (well, multiple oases anyway) or coppersmith or upgrade. So my point is that it's a little discombobulated.
He, on the other hand, goes with a upgrade-into-oasis-tunnel. I don't think oasis-tunnel is that great to start, and I think he overly-aggresively tunnels here. I would like a lab into this strategy a lot better.
What else can you try? Well, there's other ways to mega-turn, but the HoP will be similar. You can play BM-lab. Or BM-coppersmith lab, which seems not so bad here. And/or get a jester at some point, but not against the tunnel opponent so much maybe?

Game 4: This was frustrating because he went Noble Brigand early, and despite me having a Moneylender and preferring action money over Silver and Gold, I lose anyway. Plus the Alchemist engine here looked pretty reasonable, although in hindsight maybe there wasn't enough opportunity to really explode. Also, I didn't put enough forethought into using the Farmlands.
Going Noble Brigand early is actually good here because... there's not much else. Your action money is moneylender and treasury, which is not so great in terms of action money. You need lots of treasuries, which is slow. And alchemists, also slow.. This is going to make it pretty tough going. I expect a Big Money + buy some NBs if they go for too many silver/gold to be about best here. Basically, I'm actually pretty surprised it's as close as it is.

Game 5: I transition from Masquerade BM into Envoy BM by passing him my Masquerade. He does something complicated that doesn't really work out, although maybe if he were first player...
I think I'm surprised this one is so close too. I don't think his complicated thing is much good at all. Spice merchant and masq just do not mix well. I also think that even if you just go duchy-running, his deck is on the verge of falling apart anyway, whereas yours has some stamina. Keep in mind that there's very little left he wants to pass.

I may just be spoiled by playing too many interesting boards on alts, where nowadays I mostly will bias Prosperity, sometimes along with some other interesting expansion. With these biases, pretty much every game is interesting.

As an aside here, I don't find that 'oh, we're both building an obvious engine here' is really more interesting than, say, double-jack. But that's just me.

Also, I'm not playing in this tournament, but I'm going to try to give commentary on a lot more games than I normally would. Probably not ALL of them, as much in detail as I'm doing here.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 04:37:08 pm »

I'm going to have to get better with Prosperity, since this is the set everybody is apparently biasing in favor of. (Or I should start biasing everything but Prosperity, to compensate.)
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »

Good comments.

Also a ghost ship slog to me. Except, I really really don't like trader here. A huge huge thing is playing your GS every turn, and then you gold is pretty important. Lots of silvers can detract from your ability to GS (and slow you down getting there), and looking at a hand of 3 silver doesn't do you a lot when on the receiving end of the attack. Don't think I really like smugglers either, though I'm a touch less sure about it.

My idea was: if that Trader kills a single Estate, then as far as cluttering my deck, it's neutral. And I'm pretty happy with a lot of Silvers because it means I can buy Ghost Ship over Gold, winning the GS split (which I do by 8-2), then hope later to do things like play a Ghost Ship into a 4 Silver hand (which happens on turn 22).

You may be right though that the Trader is not worth it. I was iffy on it even during the game.

You both ignore jack in favour of remake, which I find quite questionable here. Now, you do want mountebank at some point, so doublejack is far less appealing, but... well, inn is going to work sorta nice with the jack, and remake is just not so appealing at all on me to this board. It slows you down more early on, which is important. And later, it's also not as good, I don't think. At some point, monuments can be important, too, but it really depends on how things shape up. You have to balance your terminals and inns...

Yeah Jack is probably better than Remake here. I guess I was thinking that Remake could help trash the Coppers from Mountebank, but that isn't very relevant in a treasure-oriented game. (Too much playing Prosperity bias, I think. :P)

Okay, so much that can go on here. The HoP mega-turn strategy. Well, the problem here is, to get it to work, you need lots of HoP, probably a few upgrades to trash, and the other nicest cards are... Lab and highway. Everything costs 5, and it's very hard to get it all together. Now it still might work, but... well, I can't say I like the coppersmith. It doesn't work well with the oasis, it doesn't work well with the upgrade. It does work well with labs, of course. Upgrade also, synergizes with highway (on this board), lab, not so much with coppersmith, oasis. Oasis goes with lab and tunnel, but not HoP (well, multiple oases anyway) or coppersmith or upgrade. So my point is that it's a little discombobulated.
He, on the other hand, goes with a upgrade-into-oasis-tunnel. I don't think oasis-tunnel is that great to start, and I think he overly-aggresively tunnels here. I would like a lab into this strategy a lot better.
What else can you try? Well, there's other ways to mega-turn, but the HoP will be similar. You can play BM-lab. Or BM-coppersmith lab, which seems not so bad here. And/or get a jester at some point, but not against the tunnel opponent so much maybe?

I stand by the Coppersmiths. I don't really want more than a single Silver since my only draw comes from Labs. Coppersmith is a decent card on T3/T4, then later I can upgrade it to a Laboratory to try to win that split. (Turns out he wasn't really fighting me for them anyway.)

In hindsight, I should have got another Upgrade rather than the Horn of Plenty (which I got with hope to snag some Labs and Highways in midgame). It was urgent to clear Estates, Coppers, and the Coppersmith. Even if I had done this, I'm not confident any sort of HoP megaturn could really work out with only Labs for draw.

Going Noble Brigand early is actually good here because... there's not much else. Your action money is moneylender and treasury, which is not so great in terms of action money. You need lots of treasuries, which is slow. And alchemists, also slow.. This is going to make it pretty tough going. I expect a Big Money + buy some NBs if they go for too many silver/gold to be about best here. Basically, I'm actually pretty surprised it's as close as it is.

With me not buying Silver/Gold and not caring much about the extra Coppers (because of Moneylender), NB seems really awful. It's basically just a terminal $1. You're right that Treasury is a bit weak for action money. I might have been better off focusing my play around getting multiple NB plays per turn, which would really cripple his deck, plus get me the treasure I needed to fully use my buys.

I think I'm surprised this one is so close too. I don't think his complicated thing is much good at all. Spice merchant and masq just do not mix well. I also think that even if you just go duchy-running, his deck is on the verge of falling apart anyway, whereas yours has some stamina. Keep in mind that there's very little left he wants to pass.

His complicated thing is a bit clever in that he uses Envoy to get a large hand-size, then uses Cellar to bring in good cards. I might have done better to discard his Cellar more often.

As an aside here, I don't find that 'oh, we're both building an obvious engine here' is really more interesting than, say, double-jack. But that's just me.

I agree, but there's lots of interesting things that can go on when the players have different opinions about what's the best way to build that engine. In non-engine games, although there are interesting decisions to be made, there's a lot less flexibility.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »

The thing is, I don't like trader in game 1, and I don't know that I like smugglers, but I REALLY don't like both, and I REALLY don't like mashing a thousand ghost ships.
I don't really like opening oasis-coppersmith in that one. My preference would have been for me (lone?) silver, if I went the coppersmith route. Which I think I might well. Also I ought to note that Highway can work with HoP here.
In order to use that cellar trick, you MUST Inn -> envoy, and with only one of each... I don't know, seems like it's hanging on a thread to me.
But the Brigand game is the big thing for me.  So there's three things going on. You can play Big money, you can play what you did, and you can play money/NB. What I'm saying is, I think that Big money (with treasuries) should beat your alchemist/treasury/moneylender thing fairly handily, and Money/NB beats money. Now, this doesn't mean that NB/Money beats what you did. But I think it probably does; consider how money would do if the NB was totally dead, if you never play it... I imagine money is doing decently well even then. And then you can play it for some benefit occasionally... now obviously I should point out, that normally you grab lots of noble brigands, in a mirror kind of match, or really anytime that they buy lots of silver and gold. But if they do something like you did, with NONE of that, then you stop buying more NB, obviously, and just go with silvers. And so it's a question of whether the optimal strategy is opening with just money, twirling into NB if they follow and sticking with money if they go to the moneylender-alchemist thing, and moneylender-alchemist thing if they go NB, or whether you just open NB/money and twirl a little into straight money if they do moneylender-alchemist thing. And I'm fairly strong that it's the latter.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 06:52:28 pm »

Trader hitting Estate isn't clutter neutral.. You have 2 Silvers in place of 1 Estate.  With respect to Ghost ship, that is indeed more clutter.

andwilk

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +152
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
+1

blueblimp 3 - andwilk 2

Just a few things to add...

In game 3, I feel if I had added another Lab or two it would have worked out better for me.  With most of my treasure being Gold, I felt my deck could withstand the extra green from over-committing on Tunnels.

In game 4, I added the NB more to keep you away from buying Silver and Gold.  Alchemists are slow and so is building up money with Treasuries.  With Farmlands in play, I wasn't all that worried about NB holding me back from $8 when it did.

Overall, I was disappointed that the first player won every game.  It felt like holding all my service games in a tennis match, yet still losing the match.  Playing in these last few IsoDoms have opened my eyes even more to how important starting as first player in Game 1 in a series, especially a shorter best-of-five series (the first player is 12-0 in my opening matches of IsoDom 4/5). 

rspeer

• Witch
  • Respect: +877
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:23 am »
+1

Young Nick 3 - rspeer 2

1. rspeer 47 - Young Nick 33: We both ignore chapel. I go for HP and Wharf. He goes for HP and Ghost Ship. His Ghost Ships hit often enough to make me get nervous and start questioning my faith in Wharf, but I stay ahead on VPs.
2. Young Nick 69 - rspeer 35. Playing Ambassador-pong doesn't slow down YN's Goons engine, and revealing Tunnel against it doesn't do enough.
3. rspeer 45 - Young Nick 57: A different sort of Jack game as we both go for Gardens. I stop greening a bit after Gardens, playing for the long game and assuming YN will stall. Whoops, right, jacks don't stall.
4. rspeer 56 - Young Nick 49: I play an Envoy/Horn of Plenty deck resembling one that Geronimoo creamed me with once upon a time. Except, now that I look back at that game, Geronimoo had King's Courts also. I managed to win anyway with a very fortuitous comeback, despite the slow engine.
5. Young Nick 20 - rspeer 14: This game is Ironworks heaven. YN's Spice Merchant might have given him the tempo he needed to win.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:25 am »
+1

Young Nick 3 - rspeer 2

1. rspeer 47 - Young Nick 33: We both ignore chapel. I go for HP and Wharf. He goes for HP and Ghost Ship. His Ghost Ships hit often enough to make me get nervous and start questioning my faith in Wharf, but I stay ahead on VPs.
2. Young Nick 69 - rspeer 35. Playing Ambassador-pong doesn't slow down YN's Goons engine, and revealing Tunnel against it doesn't do enough.
3. rspeer 45 - Young Nick 57: A different sort of Jack game as we both go for Gardens. I stop greening a bit after Gardens, playing for the long game and assuming YN will stall. Whoops, right, jacks don't stall.
4. rspeer 56 - Young Nick 49: I play an Envoy/Horn of Plenty deck resembling one that Geronimoo creamed me with once upon a time. Except, now that I look back at that game, Geronimoo had King's Courts also. I managed to win anyway with a very fortuitous comeback, despite the slow engine.
5. Young Nick 20 - rspeer 14: This game is Ironworks heaven. YN's Spice Merchant might have given him the tempo he needed to win.

I agree with most of what rspeer says here. Here are any additional comments I might have about the match.

1. Do either of us have a high enough action density to make Tribute a worthwhile purchase? If so, an engine that is fueled by Tributes could be great, with Wharves for draw, but Merchant Ships for money and Ghost Ships to bring the opponent to tears.

2. I thought that I made a huge mistake when I auto-piloted and bought a second Quarry over a second Ambassador on turn 3. Upon reflection, it probably was a mistake, but not as costly as I thought it may be. rspeer did not quite explain how engine-happy this board was with Tactician (also good for Tunnel), Goons, Bazaar, and Throne Room. I should have picked up a Develop earlier, I am sure. I think neither of us played it all that well. Tunnel was probably a mistake, seeing as the Golds kind of get in the way. I also had a huge blunder in turn 16 where I Ambassadored away my last card in hand, an Estate, and thus my Tactician did not trigger. In a mirror, this would have been death and destruction. Overall, a fantastically fun board.

3. He greened a bit earlier than I did, but my Festivals gave me the endurance needed for this game.

4. I saw what rspeer was doing, but I never figured it would actually work! I was so far ahead that we both thought I had it in the bag. My turn 19 was straight out of hell. My Envoy flipped all 3 of my other actions (a second Envoy, a Rabble, and a Walled Village) and two Estates.
If rspeer had not ended it when he did, I would have taken the last Province. This game confuses me.

5. The best game of the match. This is a Scryping Pool dream board, especially with Ironworks. Ironworks will gladly pick up any and all of the following: Great Halls, Islands, Spice Merchants, Caravans, Potions, Walled Villages, and more Ironworks. I end up three-piling while ahead before his deck gets rolling. Spice Merchant is huge here. I mean huge! Without the deck trimming, it would have been tough to get a regular draw from Scrying Pool, though Island helped with that, too. I ended up picking up two SM's and setting one aside via Island. rspeer was playing for the longer game, I guess, and I comfortably destroy the rest of the Ironworks pile for a smooth W. I will mention that I trust both of us would have been wrecked by a lvl 40+ opponent here. How to handle this loaded board is beyond me. Comments welcome!

Thanks for the match rspeer.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 03:52:14 am »

Fabian 3 - 1 help im a bug

Fabian 33 - 34 bug
I go for Treasure Maps with a Talisman, and am lucky enough to have them hit early. Early enough where I feel I can ignore King's Court and race for Province pretty easily. I buy my fourth on turn 12 and feel pretty reasonably safe, but from there I choke pretty hard and go on to lose.

Fabian 48 - 39 bug
A pretty BMesque game with Monument (and later Farmland) as the key cards. bug goes for more actions than I do early, with multiple Remodels and getting a third Monument a few turns before I do, and Festivals and stuff. Meanwhile I have lots of $6 cards (Farmland and Gold) and can turn those into Provinces reasonably safely, even though he cleverly runs out the Farmlands pile to make it a bit harder.

Fabian 31 - 21 bug
We open Silver/Smugglers and slowly start buying lots of expensive stuff (Bazaar, two Tactician each, then Goons with Council Room/Minion making guest appearances). I have more Goons in my deck, and with a small lead and three Goons lining up on a Tactician turn I can buy all but one Fool's Gold with a big enough VP chip lead to feel safe.

Fabian 38 - 32 bug
Sea Hag/Silver game where bug goes for Apothecaries and more of an action chain and I buy some Golds and Silvers instead. He wins the curse split 6/4 but I can buy enough green cards to put the game away. There's a one turn window after he's got two Duchy+Estate turns where he could catch up, but his deck isn't really equipped to buy Province at that point, and his blind Embassy comes up with $3P.

Thanks for the games bug!

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:54:44 pm »

When do I freak out if my partner hasn't pmed me?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:10 pm »

Not yet.

zxcvbn2

• Golem
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:08 pm »

Thursday or Friday, probably?
One Day Cup II Champion: qmech III: Rabid IV: Qvist

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »

lespeutere 66 - qmech 44
Governor is still a tricky card.  Fool's Gold was probably a mistake.  It took a while for my Scheme cover to kick in against Young Witch.  I'm non the wiser about how to play Governor now.

qmech 47 - lespeutere 32
Mountebanks lead to Governor almost being ignored.  The single copies did a lot of work though, so this isn't a good example for Robz.

lespeutere 23 - qmech 40
A fun Trader/Smithy game that ends with a gorgeous run of luck for me.

lespeutere 43 - qmech 41
Double Jack.

qmech 36 - lespeutere 34
Loved lespeutere's Venture/Apothecary.  It seems like it should do well against my almost pure Big Money.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »

Fabian 3 - 1 help im a bug

Fabian 33 - 34 bug
I go for Treasure Maps with a Talisman, and am lucky enough to have them hit early. Early enough where I feel I can ignore King's Court and race for Province pretty easily. I buy my fourth on turn 12 and feel pretty reasonably safe, but from there I choke pretty hard and go on to lose.

Fabian 48 - 39 bug
A pretty BMesque game with Monument (and later Farmland) as the key cards. bug goes for more actions than I do early, with multiple Remodels and getting a third Monument a few turns before I do, and Festivals and stuff. Meanwhile I have lots of $6 cards (Farmland and Gold) and can turn those into Provinces reasonably safely, even though he cleverly runs out the Farmlands pile to make it a bit harder.

Fabian 31 - 21 bug
We open Silver/Smugglers and slowly start buying lots of expensive stuff (Bazaar, two Tactician each, then Goons with Council Room/Minion making guest appearances). I have more Goons in my deck, and with a small lead and three Goons lining up on a Tactician turn I can buy all but one Fool's Gold with a big enough VP chip lead to feel safe.

Fabian 38 - 32 bug
Sea Hag/Silver game where bug goes for Apothecaries and more of an action chain and I buy some Golds and Silvers instead. He wins the curse split 6/4 but I can buy enough green cards to put the game away. There's a one turn window after he's got two Duchy+Estate turns where he could catch up, but his deck isn't really equipped to buy Province at that point, and his blind Embassy comes up with $3P.

Thanks for the games bug!

Good games, Fabian. I don't remember exactly what I said but I do remember already being on tilt at the start of the match and it pretty much continued through it ;). So sorry if I was particularly whiny.

I felt pretty thoroughly outplayed.
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:33 pm »

Good games cayvie. I kinda got that sense yeah, but no worries :) Good luck in the rest!

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 07:24:34 pm »
+1

lespeutere 66 - qmech 44
Governor is still a tricky card.  Fool's Gold was probably a mistake.  It took a while for my Scheme cover to kick in against Young Witch.  I'm non the wiser about how to play Governor now.

qmech 47 - lespeutere 32
Mountebanks lead to Governor almost being ignored.  The single copies did a lot of work though, so this isn't a good example for Robz.

lespeutere 23 - qmech 40
A fun Trader/Smithy game that ends with a gorgeous run of luck for me.

lespeutere 43 - qmech 41
Double Jack.

qmech 36 - lespeutere 34
Loved lespeutere's Venture/Apothecary.  It seems like it should do well against my almost pure Big Money.

1: Just thought governor prefers provinces over colonies as you get those golds you can remodel. Since it never was my plan to get provinces, FG seemed reasonable. YW, I'm not so sure about it anymore.

2: Don't really see the difference except for my expand and his GM he could pick up early. I'll put that more or less into 1st player advantage.

3: This was devastating. Still don't know how it happened I was beaten by 17 points or 6 provinces in 14 turns - just by one trader and 2 smithies. Never even got to play my goons (not that it would've helped).

4: Double Jack, never got to trash my estates, didn't break PPR in the end - any my better cash ratio payed off.

5: Also liked apothecary/venture. However, I made a mistake on t14 when I triggered the reshuffle. And finally I broke PPR when I should not have..
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 2.728 seconds with 20 queries.