Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Euro 2012  (Read 36022 times)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2012
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2012, 07:44:45 am »

A comment I once read about European football (rough translation): "There are no dwarves anymore."

In earlier times you could consistently beat a lesser team by more than 5 goals difference. Nowadays, even smaller teams can organize a decent defense and stall out for as long as possible.

Just keep all of your guys on your own half behind the ball.

I don't like defensive games while they obviously hold some appeal in a Euro game sense. I like to watch Spain as they attack with everyone except Piqué and Puyol. I like the Dutch school of football with combinations and possession. However, you need appropriate players to go on the offensive. It's very hot nowadays for left and right backs to join the attack and give a crossball. This is fine if your backs are Roberto Carlos and Cafu, not if they're 18 year old Willems and bad playing van der Wiel.

You can't blame Greece for playing the way they do, though, they just can't do it any better. Is it Greece's fault that Russia didn't score a goal? Of course not, but I would have liked to see more of Russia and less of Greece. If I'm to invest 90 minutes of my life watching a football game I'd rather see a team trying to score a goal than a team trying to not let one through and hope for a lucky moment on the other side.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 04:33:15 pm »

I'm not sad to see Holland leave the tournament.

If anything has become clear this Euro it's that we need some fresh blood. The coach has stayed on too long. Van der Vaart, Sneijder and Robben are playing in their 4th tournament already. It seems some wear and tear has come over this team. Unfortunately the rookies are not yet ready to play on this level.

We had a good run with 2nd at the World Cup, time to rebuild.
Our youth team is on their way to their own Euro 2013 in Israel and we'll see what those guys will bring in the coming years.

I'm not mad that we're out, we didn't deserve to go through. I AM mad that it was so bland. No one stood up or was ready to put an extra foot in front of the other. We're going out with a bang puff.

In other news: I finally finished the baby's room today. It's only football.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 04:37:25 pm by Davio »

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 04:38:34 pm »

that was an absolute mess by the dutch. they dominated the game until they scored and then they fell to pieces.  i think they do need some new blood as well.  i was shocked van marwijk didn't make any subs other than afellay.  would have been nice to see some younger guys, or at least give kuyt a chance to run around.

i'm glad the dutch didn't make it through as well. wouldn't have had much success in the later rounds anyway.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »

Yeah, the Netherlands didn't deserve to proceed in the tournament, still I'm pretty shocked how they got out of the tournament: not a single point! And they are the world champion runner-up! They have a great team, great individual players (which are very important in their own national teams), but didn't played like a team. I don't know if they need new players, but they definitely need to play as a team.

I'm glad that Germany and Portugal are in the quarter finals. Portugal is really great to watch, just like Spain, although I'm not sure how far they can come. Germany really plays like a team together. So I think Germany and Spain are still the favourites for winning this tournament.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:06 am »

So the quarterfinals start today right.  Here are my predictions for the tournament:

Czech Republic vs Portugal - Portugal

Spain vs France - Spain

Germany vs Greece - Germany

England vs Italy - Italy

Semifinals:
Portugal vs Spain - Spain
Germany vs Italy - Germany

Finals:
Germany vs Spain

Germany 2-1

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2012, 09:59:23 am »

Czech vs Portugal

The Czech wil be hard pressed without Rosicky (medium injury) and I look for Portugal to put one past the goalie.
Portugal can be dangerous when they play as a team instead of 11 individuals and the last game vs Netherlands they regrouped very well after the 1-0. So: Portugal

Germany vs Greece

Germany, for the love of football, don't let the Greeks get a repeat of '04.

England vs Italy

England, they have surprised me this tournament. They seem to score easily although they're a bit unfortunate in the back. Italy just doesn't have the scoring power I think, but it's hard to call this one. The English never seem to go the distance anymore.

Spain vs France

Spain, their team is just a tad better than the French.

I agree with Yuma on the rest though, so Spain vs Germany in the finals and Germany winning.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2012, 02:20:56 pm »

Czech vs Portugal

The Czech wil be hard pressed without Rosicky (medium injury) and I look for Portugal to put one past the goalie.
Portugal can be dangerous when they play as a team instead of 11 individuals and the last game vs Netherlands they regrouped very well after the 1-0. So: Portugal

Agree

Germany vs Greece

Germany, for the love of football, don't let the Greeks get a repeat of '04.
Agree, unless of course ...

England vs Italy

England, they have surprised me this tournament. They seem to score easily although they're a bit unfortunate in the back. Italy just doesn't have the scoring power I think, but it's hard to call this one. The English never seem to go the distance anymore.

Thats different to the mood here in England, we have looked really solid apart from a couple of lapses that cost us goals. However nobody is confident we can see where the goals are going to come from. Rooney is back and first choice striker and he looked woefully out of form against Ukraine, just lucky they gave us an easy one.

I can see this going to penalties, and we have gone out 5 out of 7 of the last tournaments in penalties I believe, or something stupid.

However, heart says we win this.

Spain vs France

Spain, their team is just a tad better than the French.

I agree with Yuma on the rest though, so Spain vs Germany in the finals and Germany winning.

Agree
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »

I think Italy should beat England. England was fine but not great in groups, and Italy impressed me against Spain. Also, it's the kind of team that plays better in high-stakes matches.

Speaking of which, I don't want to completely rule out a french win... but yeah, it's pretty damn unlikely. We do like playing against arrogant teams though, and Spain is certainly that.

Also, Portugal won. Ronaldo was good. Yawn.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2012, 03:13:02 am »

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2012, 05:21:29 am »

Didn't see yesterday's match, unfortunately, but was not surprised by the outcome. Ronaldo provokes all the hate, but he doesn't deserve it. He finally starts to score in important international matches. In league matches he's been so impressive the last couple of years which makes me disagree with all those guys denying his playing ability. In my opinion he is at least as complete a player as Messi. I spent 8 months in England 4 years ago when he played for United and could follow the premiership more closely than most people here in Germany who talk rubbish about him.
For tonight I'm publicly betting against Germany (since when I bet on my favourite team, they'll lose - that's how Dortmund won the Bundesliga the last 2 years, actually: me betting against them in important (read: all) matches). Hoping for something different, though, obviously.

I think England - Italy will go to penalties - and then it's Italy, of course. England's just so aweful when it comes down to getting this ball in from 11 m.
So might France - Spain do, and there I just hope for France (because I predicted them as cup winners - based on their good performances in the last friedly matches). Hope got less and less, though..

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2012, 07:47:46 am »

Oh I think he deserves it.  He kind of relishes his villainous role -- no one hates him because he's bad, people hate him because he welcomes their hate.  Think LeBron James, except with absolutely zero desire to make people like him.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2012, 09:19:59 am »

His talent is, quite clearly, the central reason he is so despised by those who cannot call him their own.

Over the years I've more and more come to the conclusion that he's acting like Mourinho is, i.e. focusing most of peoples' attention on him so that the team/other players can work more focused.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:57 am »

A lot of these footballers suffer from the same pampering.
Nobody in their group dares to speak against the star out of fear of losing his share of the money that is being generated.

I see it with the Dutch players. They've become too cocky. Affelay has a big mouth because he plays at Barcelona, even though he's been injured most of the year and otherwise never plays. Robben is just an idiot and I wouldn't mind if he never plays for Holland again.

These stars are so used to being the center of their own universe that when they get together in the same room, they collide. Sometimes with cosmic consequences.

Luckily for Ronaldo, he's the only real star in the team. The others know about his qualities and accept it. If the rest of the team is willing to do this, it's no problem. If Pepe or Nani tries to speak up, some problems may arise.

I have to give credit to the Portuguese though, they seem focused. Something else I've noticed is that they seem to make less fouls than previous tournaments. Their team always used to play with a knife between their teeth, but it seems lessened. I don't know if the good results made them act more calm, but I like it. Of course sometimes someone will still act up, but it hasn't bothered me to this day.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2012, 08:46:27 pm »

Today's match was my two ancestral homelands battling it out. I have a grandparent from both Germany and Italy.

It was a much more lively match than the Spain/Portugal game, thank goodness, and I was extremely surprised by the Italians.

They have improved much over the past bit. I have been skeptical of them ever since they lost to the US a few months back--granted without a few key players--but in that game they looked tired, worn down and ragged. But not in the semi-final.

It is too bad. I was looking forward to seeing Germany vs Spain. Italy could win it all, Spain looked weaker than usual in their last two games.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2012, 03:35:05 am »

Just...loved.. watching...Pirlo.

Being a midfielder myself I know how hard it can be in practice, but he makes it seem so simple.
With one or two touches he can create a lot of time for himself and he always knows where the opponents are and how he can shake them off.

Man of the match imho. Of course Balotelli scored two goals, but I just like hard working midfielders better than lazy strikers.  :D

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2012, 08:04:23 am »

They just deserved it. Played a lot smarter than we did.
So now I hope they can make it vs Spain.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2012, 08:25:38 am »

Buffoon was pretty angry at his team after the match, and I think he's right -- Italy missed at least 3-4 easy easy chances in the second half. 

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2012, 08:28:22 am »

Buffoon was pretty angry at his team after the match, and I think he's right -- Italy missed at least 3-4 easy easy chances in the second half.
I liked this comment:
Quote from: Buffon
"When you can score seven goals against Germany, you have to score seven because if they come back to 2-2 they'll beat you 10-2 in extra-time.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2012, 09:00:37 am »

UGH, im willing to bet Italy-Spain will be a snore fest

Although interestingly, has there ever been a major final where both goalkeepers were the captains?

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »

UGH, im willing to bet Italy-Spain will be a snore fest
I hope you didn't put any money on this bet  ;)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2012, 11:58:50 am »

Nope, but I didn't find it THAT thrilling, was quite one sided, especially after Italy went a man down.

Although if Italy could have score right after the break it would have been a lot different....

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 21 queries.