Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Euro 2012  (Read 36029 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Euro 2012
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 03:52:53 am »
+1

As you probably know, Sweden lost their game against Ukraine yesterday. Now whole of Sweden is in shock, and it's this horrible feeling of despair in the air. And I actually like it. I will probably try to avoid this thread as much as possible so that my negative feelings towards the sport doesn't ruin you fun. ;)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 04:05:52 am »

As you probably know, Sweden lost their game against Ukraine yesterday. Now whole of Sweden is in shock, and it's this horrible feeling of despair in the air. And I actually like it. I will probably try to avoid this thread as much as possible so that my negative feelings towards the sport doesn't ruin you fun. ;)
Sweden will still reach the next round I think, mostly because England is incredibly weak this year, and France... well, they played okayish, but without being really dangerous.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 04:52:46 am »
+1

Tomorrow, the Netherlands will destroy the Germans!

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 05:00:55 am »

Tomorrow, the Netherlands will destroy the Germans!
In terms of how often they tried to score and didn't?

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 05:03:49 am »

we perform better against better teams.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

France/England was boring, but it was an interesting sort of boring, if that makes sense.

There wasn't any significant tactical shift over the game.  There wasn't anything tremendously surprising.  France played cagey, possession-oriented football, while England seems to have very quickly adopted a classic Hodgson two-banks-of-four style.  That's all exactly as expected.  But it was tense, thanks to the importance of the occasion.  And maybe it's just me, but I find that sort of battle to be interesting to watch.  I understand enough about tactics to be able to actually follow what they're trying to do, but not enough that it's just totally boring to me.

A bit like how I enjoy watch the snooker when its a long safety game exchange rather than someone just coming in and clearing up off one good pot!

And I think England played alright to be honest, dull, but alright. We will cause problems for teams not quite as skilful as France to break down, we just need to create a few more chances of our own and more importantly, take them when they come up. I think if we play like that against Sweeeden and Ukraine then we should get through the group.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 04:54:41 pm »

we perform better against better teams.
Sorry to break the news to you, but I don't think the Germans have played very well so far...

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 05:03:00 pm »

No, they didn't. But I think you can't deny that Germany is a stronger opponent than Denmark. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Nice games today, especially Russia - Poland, a game which went forth and back, no play in the midfield. Both played very well, but I still don't think any of both will be European Champion. They had so many good opportunities, so only one goal isn't enough.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 05:12:01 pm »

France/England was boring, but it was an interesting sort of boring, if that makes sense.

There wasn't any significant tactical shift over the game.  There wasn't anything tremendously surprising.  France played cagey, possession-oriented football, while England seems to have very quickly adopted a classic Hodgson two-banks-of-four style.  That's all exactly as expected.  But it was tense, thanks to the importance of the occasion.  And maybe it's just me, but I find that sort of battle to be interesting to watch.  I understand enough about tactics to be able to actually follow what they're trying to do, but not enough that it's just totally boring to me.

That makes complete sense. I watched the entire game and enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I would call entertaining football. I think that is the sort of game that my American friends would hate, but enjoyed it despite it lacking the shine.

I was hoping for a tactical shift by either team. But both seemed content with playing for a draw and hoping for the other team to have a mental collapse and allow a score for the win late.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »

That makes complete sense. I watched the entire game and enjoyed it, but it wasn't what I would call entertaining football. I think that is the sort of game that my American friends would hate, but enjoyed it despite it lacking the shine.

I was hoping for a tactical shift by either team. But both seemed content with playing for a draw and hoping for the other team to have a mental collapse and allow a score for the win late.

If you think that was enjoyable, you must LOVE Cricket, that can go for 5 days and still come out a draw!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2012, 01:53:20 pm »
+1

So, I've only watched maybe four games from this. But the Denmark-Portugal game, if the last third of it was an accurate indication, was absolutely thrilling. The kind of thing that has me shouting for people I have no connection to basically whatsoever.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2012, 01:55:14 pm »

So, I've only watched maybe four games from this. But the Denmark-Portugal game, if the last third of it was an accurate indication, was absolutely thrilling. The kind of thing that has me shouting for people I have no connection to basically whatsoever.

Yeah, I was cheering on the Danes for some reason. Probably because I saw them as the weakest from the group so in the long run its better for England, plus I love an underdog!

Hopefully Holland win tonight and all teams end up on 3 points going into the last game!

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 03:09:46 pm »

That was a damn pretty goal Germany just scored.  Still can't believe RVP missed that early chance.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2012, 03:22:44 pm »

Wow the Dutch defense is playing pathetically.  This is embarrassing.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2012, 04:21:14 pm »

Hopefully your watching this one as well! Been pretty darn good since the Dutch woke up!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »

Hopefully your watching this one as well! Been pretty darn good since the Dutch woke up!
Walking over behind my coworker every 5 minutes for a 3 minute glimpse. Well, and I caught most of the first half, which did not have me all that enthused. Unfortunately, I can't straight watch it, now that it's gotten interesting :(

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2012, 04:36:18 pm »

The ending minutes of a soccer game are like the ending minutes of a basketball game -- painfully tedious regardless of the score.  The occasional last-minute heroics don't make up for the fact that almost all games go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

I think hockey is the one sport that manages to ensure exciting endings.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 04:41:02 pm »

Wow the Dutch defense is playing pathetically.  This is embarrassing.
Tell me about it.

I am ashaded of and mad at our team.

No one seemed to want to take the team by their hand. Even with 2-0 behind, no one seemed to be in a hurry.
I'm a football player myself and whenever we're down, even if it's 6-0, I keep spurring our troops on.
Once we were 4-0 down after the first half and still won 5-4.

The bad play is only part of what bothered me, the seeming lack of interest and effort bothered me more.

In those games, the star players should rise up and lead the soldiers into battle.
Where was Sneijder? He was so good the first match, how could he be so bad?

With play like this, we shouldn't have won the match and moreover, we shouldn't make it into the quarter-finals.
I'm sad to say this, but being a true sportsman, I have to tip my hat to the better team and that wasn't Holland.

A fluke goal by Van Persie made it look like we were back in the game, but I never had a feeling the 2-2 was around the corner.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 04:43:21 pm by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 04:42:37 pm »

Im not sure I quite agree with that, a lot of basketball matches the last few minutes is just insurmountable odds for the losing team. Actually thats true of nearly all sports in that the very last section you are pretty sure who has won barring crazy circumstances.

Where often in football, its usually 1 goal in it. And when that goal goes in its amazing.

The last 5 minutes of this game were crucial, if the Dutch could have broken through then the whole group dynamics would have changed!

Not sure if you follow the premiership, but the whole season was won by Manchester City in the last 5 minutes during injury time, snatching it away from Man U who were already celebrating it as won.

Again, Man U's win in the Cl final over Bayern Munich in 1999

It doesnt happen often, but when it does it more than makes up for the last 5 minutes of all the other games where somebody runs it to the corner.

Its the fact of footballs unpredictibility that gives it its worldwild appear I feel, that rubbish teams can, and do, beat stronger teams because all of the games are close

cherdano

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:12 pm »

That was a damn pretty goal Germany just scored.  Still can't believe RVP missed that early chance.
I thought he barely got to the ball, this didn't look easy to me.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 04:48:44 pm »

I feel a bit sorry for the Danes, looks like they will have to beat Germany to progress now, after shocking Holland in the first game and coming so close to a draw in the Portugal game.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »

Im not sure I quite agree with that, a lot of basketball matches the last few minutes is just insurmountable odds for the losing team. Actually thats true of nearly all sports in that the very last section you are pretty sure who has won barring crazy circumstances.

Where often in football, its usually 1 goal in it. And when that goal goes in its amazing.

The last 5 minutes of this game were crucial, if the Dutch could have broken through then the whole group dynamics would have changed!

Not sure if you follow the premiership, but the whole season was won by Manchester City in the last 5 minutes during injury time, snatching it away from Man U who were already celebrating it as won.

It doesnt happen often, but when it does it more than makes up for the last 5 minutes of all the other games where somebody runs it to the corner.

Its the fact of footballs unpredictibility that gives it its worldwild appear I feel, that rubbish teams can, and do, beat stronger teams because all of the games are close
Oh, I know it does happen.  I saw the Man City goal that clinched the Premiership, and there are those other last-minute goals as well.

The problem is that 90% of the time, even when the game is close, the ending is boring because one team can effectively play keepaway.  In other words, games are very rarely tense even when they should be.  Once in a while it is, but I think that those are exciting mostly because of the scoring, not because they are rare.

Contrast with hockey -- it's rarer that there is a 1-goal difference, but when there is, it is guaranteed to be tense down to the wire because the losing team can pull their goaltender for a 6-on-5 advantage.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 04:52:50 pm »

The ending minutes of a soccer game are like the ending minutes of a basketball game -- painfully tedious regardless of the score.  The occasional last-minute heroics don't make up for the fact that almost all games go out with a whimper instead of a bang.

I think hockey is the one sport that manages to ensure exciting endings.
Funny, I thought the last few minutes of the Denmark-Portugal game were extremely interesting. And when I went to the MLS cup a few years back, it was really interesting at the end. Granted, I think you almost need a 1 goal deficit to make this be so interesting.
But it's really great to see the goalkeeper coming up past midfield. :)

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »

Oh, I know it does happen.  I saw the Man City goal that clinched the Premiership, and there are those other last-minute goals as well.

The problem is that 90% of the time, even when the game is close, the ending is boring because one team can effectively play keepaway.  In other words, games are very rarely tense even when they should be.  Once in a while it is, but I think that those are exciting mostly because of the scoring, not because they are rare.

Contrast with hockey -- it's rarer that there is a 1-goal difference, but when there is, it is guaranteed to be tense down to the wire because the losing team can pull their goaltender for a 6-on-5 advantage.

Even if 90% of games the one team has been playing keepaway then there is still the chance for a mistake if there is only a goal in it. Plus if its 1-1 then rarely is one team settling for a draw!

6 on 5 advantage in Hockey? You're still 5 players short *winks*

cherdano

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 05:02:59 pm »

Believe me, if you are really rooting for a team, you are still worried every second of the last ten minutes, even if the Dutch didn't get possession more than a few seconds for two or three times...

(Still exhausted from the game.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 21 queries.