Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Euro 2012  (Read 36026 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Euro 2012
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:29:25 am »

So Euro 2012 is about to kick off? Anyone as excited as I am? How do our European f.DS friends feel about their countries chances of winning?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Euro 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:07 am »

Reaction of those in Group A:

A lot more here

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »

Is this how I do it?

I know I'm an ugly american, but football?  My second favorite sport.
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:02:03 pm »

We Europeans never get what's so exciting about American sports and vice versa.
Snooker vs. Pool, Volleyball vs. Basketball and of course, real Football vs. American (fake) Football.

Kidding aside, I love football and I'm an amateur player myself with the local beer team. I used to play in the first reserves, but then I got lazy and drank too much. GG college.

I'm very glad it has finally begun, because I was pretty bored by all the talk shows who were running out of topics.

About the current game: I like the Polish squad, they're playing pretty decent attacking football and are deservedly in the lead. The red card (second yellow) for the Greek player was a bit harsh. His two offences may have totalled one yellow card, not two, in my opinion. Onwards with the second half!

Oh, and I'm a supporter of team Orange of course, being Dutch, but I fancy the German team's chances this year. They're playing "Dutch" football which is sometimes a pleasure to watch and are always strong on tourneys.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 01:08:31 pm »

About the current game: I like the Polish squad, they're playing pretty decent attacking football and are deservedly in the lead. The red card (second yellow) for the Greek player was a bit harsh. His two offences may have totalled one yellow card, not two, in my opinion. Onwards with the second half!

Very harsh indeed... Glad the game is on since Isotropic is down. Although I imagine I wouldn't play very well if I was watching a game at the same time, so maybe it is for the best.

cherdano

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 01:13:17 pm »

I wasn't that impressed by Poland in the first half, it was just too gad a game with many unnecessary lost balls on both sides. Maybe I should give their pressue on Greece more credit though.
The Greek coverage on the first goal - wow.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:28:04 pm »

That's one of the worst sending-offs I've ever seen. The first wasn't even a foul and the second was barely so.

I'm rooting against Greece, but that's just ridiculously harsh.

And now Greece has a penalty.  Preposterous!

cherdano

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »

That's one of the worst sending-offs I've ever seen. The first wasn't even a foul and the second was barely so.
You mean the first yellow card? Was clearly a foul I thought, he had his elbow out and was pushing the Polish guy down. The second was very harsh, though if he gives a foul he is pretty much forced to give a card too (preventing a break with a foul).

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 01:43:59 pm »

You mean the first yellow card? Was clearly a foul I thought, he had his elbow out and was pushing the Polish guy down. The second was very harsh, though if he gives a foul he is pretty much forced to give a card too (preventing a break with a foul).
If the first is a foul then there is a foul on virtually every single contested header in the entire game. Which, to be fair, might actually be true.  But the game isn't called that way.

To make something like that a yellow is just crazy.

cherdano

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 01:49:34 pm »

I think this is usually called (when the ref sees it obviously). Otherwise every contested header would become a pushing match!
I don't think this one was a yellow card by itself, but it was one foul too many.

I agree it's very very harsh, but if you make silly fouls you do risk getting cards.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:52:23 pm »

I've seen many worse opening games.

At least this one had a lot of excitement! The football in the second half was appaling. I guess the Polish' inexperience showed and it cost them the 3 points. Greece could've even won if they had scored the penalty, that would've been something.

So, a useless draw which doesn't really help either team. Given that Russia is probably the best team in their group, they have to look to the Czech republic for a win. Good luck with that.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
  • Respect: +390
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 02:38:15 pm »

Well, it cost them 2 points.. ;-)
I found both teams making surprisingly many technical mistakes. I thought Poland would win it.

On 'my' team, I hear a lot of Dutch people showing their respect for the German squad - but never without mentioning they're finally playing as nicely as the Dutch used to once when they invented their 'lekker voetbal'.. ;-)
I'm betting on the Netherlands winning group B, partly because my favourite Bundesliga team seems to lose whenever I bet on them. So, I'm hoping for us to participate in the final, seeing the Netherlands, Spain (of course) and France (as a surprise) as the main competitors.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 03:35:46 pm »

Uhm... I'm not really excited about this. However it seems like most of Sweden is, though.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »

Uhm... I'm not really excited about this. However it seems like most of Sweden is, though.

Same. I'm British and couldn't give a <insert favourite expletive here>.

It's like the Queen's Jubilee all over again... And then there's the Olympics to look forward to. Bad year to be British.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:44:55 pm »

It's funny that the German and Dutch team have the same assets and problems.

Their strong suits are all in the midfield and the front.
We have Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Robben, Huntelaar and Van Persie, they have Özil, Khedira, Kroos, Schweinsteiger and Gomez.

But no one wants to be a defender anymore in the Netherlands. Now that our main central defender Mathijsen is injured, we have to look to a rookie who has played only in the Dutch competition which, barring the top 5 teams or so, is a pretty poor competition. And I think Badstuber, Metzelder and Mertesacker only get to wear a German jersey just because they are long and strong.

So it will interesting to see how these pair up. A crazy score like 5-5 may even be possible!

Sweden always had the problem that it had just too few superstars. Now they have the crazy Ibrahimovic, but he's pretty much on his own. I always liked Källstrom, but I wonder why I never see him in any Champions League games with a really good club...

Bad year to be British.
But a great year to love sports!  ;D ;D ;D

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 04:11:18 pm »

And then there's the Olympics to look forward to.

At least there's beach volleyball and fencing. ;) I fell you, though. Next year we will have a lot of merry people coming here for the Eurovision. Not really looking forward to that.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 05:59:50 pm »

So, a useless draw which doesn't really help either team. Given that Russia is probably the best team in their group, they have to look to the Czech republic for a win. Good luck with that.

Russia looked really good. Alan Dzagoev is a great talent and Roman Pavlyuchenko's goal was the best I've seen in a while. Fun day of soccer, but I am hoping tomorrow will be even better.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 06:00:23 pm »

And I think Badstuber, Metzelder and Mertesacker only get to wear a German jersey just because they are long and strong.

Gotta disagree to here.
Metzelder didn't have any chance to get a spot in this year's team.
Mertesacker is long but doesn't play like he is. Still he is overrated, in my opinion.
Badstuber is pretty good at playing the opening passes, doing that in Munich alot.
The best German halfback imho is Hummels but he's got the problem he's never transferring his incredible performances from Dortmund to the national team. Plus his style of game opening conflicts with Jogi Löw's attitude on game opening (or at least Löw seems to think that).

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 06:37:21 pm »

This thread makes me a) wish I followed soccer (football) more and b) wish that people cared about the NBA anywhere near as much as they do about soccer (football). I mean, it's a great sport to watch and play, but basketball is better in every respect, except for the amount of dead ball/commercial time. I would think there would be more APBR-metrics junkies seeing as both basketball and Dominion have so much information to analyze from a purely statistical perspective.

But don't let my griping distract this excellent sports discussion.

But if you are an NBA fan, please comment.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

There are definitely hardcore NBA stat junkies, but I'm afraid that the sports-followers and boardgameplayers demographics don't overlap that much.  And if you are interested in that I'd highly recommend this New York Times article.  (FYI Battier now plays on the Heat.)

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 11:39:23 pm »

There are definitely hardcore NBA stat junkies, but I'm afraid that the sports-followers and boardgameplayers demographics don't overlap that much.  And if you are interested in that I'd highly recommend this New York Times article.  (FYI Battier now plays on the Heat.)

This is a fantastic article, and one that I have read many times over. What I meant to say (and now I see how it was a bit confusing) was that I wish there were more basketball-savvy posters here on f.ds.  I was hoping there would be because a) basketball is so popular here and b) because both games (the sport and Dominion) lend themselves to statistical evaluation.

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 03:14:39 am »
+1

Here is some overlapping! :-)
I have to admit that I'm 'typically' European in that I do not care about Baseball at all and am not very well informed about American Football (knowing some players though - and apart from results, some curios even make it to the big German sports sites (Alex Tanney, recently)) but I do care a lot about the NBA (more about the game than statistics, though). Last year was terrific, a group of 20 people, mostly not knowing each other, gathering at 3 o' clock in the morning at a friend's friend's place 'cause he had the league pass for the finals, unbelieving watching Dirk winning his ring, too tired to celebrate afterwards. And of course when I got up as a kid to watch Bulls vs. Jazz - I'm so happy I'm not too young to have seen MJ playing as it happened.

But actually, this is about Euro 12... ;)
So, I'm looking forward to tonight's games, seeing Netherlands and Germany as the favourites, but on the other side I'm very suspicious about both Portugal and Denmark, the former being waved off by many who only see Ronaldo, the latter being waved off by many who see there isn't anyone like Ronaldo. Who is the world's most complete striker imho. Too many people judge him by the attitude they believe he's showing. So if they can combine their incredible attacking power and act as a team they might pose a threat to Germany tonight.
As for the Danish they're typically very well organised so it will be crucial to keep this organisation up and alive long enough to make the Dutch nervous which will be very hard. And they're lacking a typical and ruthless striker as Bendtner is one of those joining the game despite his 1.95m (6ft 5in for you over there ;-)).

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 03:42:08 am »

I don't hate Basketball, but I don't love it either. I don't need to see a "goal" every 10 seconds to make a sport interesting.
Football is just the undisputed #1 sport in the Netherlands and playing it myself since I was a wee boy certainly makes it more fun for me.

I'm a midfielder myself so when I see a midfielder on TV giving a brilliant through pass, I can really enjoy it. Sometimes even more so than when someone makes a simple goal. I'm also very proud that our small nation which has only ~17 million people can compete with the big ones who have > 80 million to choose from.

I'm looking forward to tonight. Netherlands must win their game if they want to achieve anything this year, but this team is not the same as the team that got 2nd at the World Cup. Of course all the players are 2 years older and for some, it begins to show. Robben isn't as explosive as he was, Kuyt certainly doesn't add anything any more. Then we have one 18 year old rookie taking over the task that van Bronckhorst did spectacularly and a nervous rookie in the central defense.

Portugal's biggest enemy is Portugal. That's always how they look to me. Too much ego and too little team. Christiano Ronaldo firing every free kick from 50m. on goal doesn't help. I'm anxious to see if they can play more as a team this year.

Germany on the other hand, is always a team when it comes to the tourneys. One of my favourite German players is Philip Lahm. He makes up for his lack of height by good positioning and good tactical defending. I like the quiet, but hard working types. The strikers get enough attention already.

Whoever gets 2nd in this group will likely have to go against Russia. That's something every team wants to avoid.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 03:54:08 am »
+1

I try not to do too much self-linking, but I figure it's reasonable here.  At my blog I'm doing semi-daily commentaries about the tournament.  And I have my German friend to provide the continental perspective.

http://www.heartachewithhardwork.com/

Come by, comment, argue, etc. 

lespeutere

• 2012 German Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 04:31:48 am »

I read your last post on your blog, olneyce, and I predicted the same semi-finalists as you did.
However, Germany can't face the Netherlands in the semi-finals since they will be:
winner (1. of A vs. 2. of B) - winner (1. of C vs. 2. of D)
winner (2. of A vs. 1. of B) - winner (2. of C vs. 1. of D)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.