Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who has which cards?  (Read 3877 times)

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Who has which cards?
« on: July 13, 2011, 09:22:39 am »

I tried to make it so it has only a single solution, but probably someone will come up with one thats much easier than i intended.

Adam, Berta and Charlie play a game of Dominion together. During the game, the following things happen:
1.   In the cleanup phase of his 2nd turn, Adam draws both kingdom cards he has bought so far. In his 3rd turn, he is only able to play a single card, which is one of those. Nevertheless, he is able to buy another copy of his other kingdom card in that turn.
2.   In the buy phase of her 3rd turn Berta notices that she has exactly enough money to buy either a money card or an action card and that those two cards are the only pair of an action and a money card with the same cost in the supply. Although the action card provides no +$, she decides to buy it. During Charlie’s turn she notices that her earlier observation about the pair of an action and a money card isn’t true anymore.
3.   Charlie draws all the remaining 5 cards from his draw pile in the clean-up phase of one of his turns. Nevertheless, he manages to play a total of 6 cards in his next turn while his discard pile remains totally untouched until he shuffles it in the clean-up phase of that turn.
4.   Something similar happens to Adam during one of his turns: After drawing all the remaining 5 cards from his draw pile in the previous clean-up phase he manages to draw as well as discard multiple cards in his next turn, also without reshuffling his deck. He also does not touch his discard pile before reshuffling.
5.   Another remarkable turn is executed by Berta. At the start of the clean-up phase of that turn, there are only 3 kingdoms cards, all of which are different, and no basic cards in her play area. Nevertheless, she manages to buy 2 cards with the same price as the most expensive one of the cards she had played in that turn. Furthermore, she has gained a total of 2 cards in addition to those she bought during that turn. However, at the end of his turn, the total number of cards (not piles) in the supply is still the same as in the beginning of her turn.
6.   Adam ends the game by emptying the 3rd pile of kingdom cards.
7.   The players notice they had totally different approaches towards the game, since every card in the supply has been bought or gained by exactly one player.
8.   Charlie is the player with most different kingdom cards.
9.   Despite having only one victory card each,  both Adam and Charlie have more points than Berta, who still has all the Victory cards he ever bought or gained in that game.
10.    Adam believes he has won until he notices that he is forgotten to count a curse, making the result a tie between him and Charlie.
Name all the kingdom cards in the supply, along with the player who bought or gained it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:40:21 am by Watno »

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Who has which cards?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

I'm glad you posted this, because my second logic puzzle is so difficult that I'm on my third do-over. 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

Tiger

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 07:52:22 am »

2.   In the buy phase of his 3rd turn Berta notices that he has exactly enough money to buy either a money card or an action card and that those two cards are the only pair of an action and a money card with the same cost in the supply. Although the action card provides no +$, he decides to buy it. During Charlie’s turn he notices that his earlier observation isn’t true anymore.

--

Which part of the "earlier observation" isn't true anymore?
If it's the part about the action card not providing +$, it has to be City meaning Venture, Stash or Contraband is in play. If it's the part about being an action-treasure pair with the same cost it could be the single 3$ action card that during Charlie's turn costs 0 along with some 2$ action card due to Bridge or Quarry shenanigans. I find that unlikely though since it says "pair of an action card and a money card with the same cost" which doesn't sound like it's subject to modification within a single turn.

--

5.   (...) Nevertheless, he manages to buy 2 cards with the same price as the most expensive one of the cards he had played in that turn. Furthermore, he has gained a total of 2 cards during that turn. However, at the end of his turn, the total number of cards (not piles) in the supply is still the same as in the beginning of his turn.

--

He's bought 2 cards and gained a total of 2 cards, meaning he hasn't gained cards with other means unless I'm misreading. That means that he's either returned 2 cards with ambassador or bought 2 cards from black market. With ambassador he'd have to return 2x2 cards with no-one else gaining any, meaning both moat and lighthouse are available. Or returned 4x2 cards with only one of them available, but that seems unlikely.
[nitpicking] Though if I wanted to say that someone has bought two cards and not gained any other cards, I'd say that, and not say "He' bought two cards, and furthermore he's gained a total of 2 cards." It's almost making me suspect that the OP means that he's bought 2 cards, and gained an additional 2 cards.[/nitpicking]

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:37:48 am »

in the 2nd hint the observation refers to the pair of action and money card
in the 5th hint the player has gained exactly 2 cards in addition to those he bought.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 04:42:56 pm »

noone wanna solve this?

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:44:21 pm »

Looks to me like there are a lot of solutions, but here's one set:

Adam: Young Witch, Chapel.
Berta: Pawn, Bureaucrat, Hamlet. Optionally, she can also have another card, as long as it does not cost $3 or have potion in the cost. If she does not, then Adam may have Cellar + any terminal $2, $4, or $5 instead of Young Witch.
Charlie: Haven, Embargo, Peddler, one of (Remodel, trading post, upgrade, salvage, apprentice, bishop, expand, forge, remake, and any other trasher that doesn't cost $3 or have Potion in the cost), plus:
 - Group 1: one of (hoard, or bank if expand/forge was not chosen, or royal seal/contraband/horn of plenty, if trading post/salvager/upgrade/apprentice was not chosen) OR
 - Group 2: one of (cellar, throne room, festival, pawn, tournament, lighthouse, minion, and any other +action card that does not draw or reveal from the deck, does not cost $3, and does not have Potion in its cost) OR
 - any card that doesn't cost $3 or have Potion in the cost, depending on how we read clue #3 (see below).

1. Adam draws YW/chapel/copper/copper/copper, playing YW, buying chapel.
2. Berta draws copper/copper/estate/estate/estate, buying Bureaucrat. On Charlie's turn, he plays any action, making Peddler cost $6, equal to Gold.
3. Charlie played Haven on his previous turn, Haven'ing a copper, and draws 5 copper, thus playing 6 copper. If he needs to play 6 different cards, he can do so by drawing silver/gold/platinum/embargo/one of the cards we picked from group 1 or group 2.
4. Berta drew Hamlet/Bureaucrat/Bureaucrat/2 cards, and Adam drew 2 estates + young witch. He puts both estates back on his deck, then draws and discards them both during his turn.
5. Charlie has embargo'd Silver. Berta draws Pawn/Hamlet/Bureaucrat/Silver/Silver, playing Hamlet (drawing silver, no discard), Pawn (action/buy), and Bureaucrat, leaving her with 2 buys and $6. She buys 2 silvers, gaining 2 curses.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:34:27 am »

@mischiefmaker
I think your solution doesn't fulfill
5.   [...]However, at the end of his turn, the total number of cards (not piles) in the supply is still the same as in the beginning of her turn.

My partial solution for hint (5)
B has Tactician in play. The 10 Cards in her hand include Throne Room, Ambassador, 4x copper and cards worth 10 coins. She plays the Throne Room and the Ambassador to return the 4 copper to the supply. The other players are protected by a Moat(A) and a Lighthouse(C). She uses the 10 coins to buy 2x Mint and trashes her money cards. As C played an Embargo on the Mint, B gains two curses.

Already 7 cards are fixed, now I use mischiefmaker's Bureaucrat-Young Witch trick to resolve hint (4)
C played Native Village and 2x Bureaucrat. A puts two victory cards back on his empty deck. Playing the Young Witch he draws these two cards and discards them. Native Village handles the third hint, too.
The rest of the hints reveal that Peddler is one of the remaining cards which was bought by C, which fixes all cards.

However, I do not know how to interpret hint 9+10. If A and C have only one victory card left in their deck, then, they would need some trashing e.g. by Bishop. If they bought exactly one additional victory card (to the 3 estates they have), the gap between Estate, Duchy and Province is not one which could be overcome by addition of a curse. In either case an additional card would be necessary which doesn't fit in the current solution.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:44 am »

Ah, you are right -- for some reason I thought only the kingdom cards were in the Supply. However, your solution doesn't fulfill 2 -- on her third turn, Berta would have seen Ambassador and Bureaucrat, which both cost $3, same as Silver.

I interpret hints 9/10 to mean that A and C have exactly one victory card each, meaning that both players need to have a trasher. Also, I interpret hint 10 to mean only that A and C have the same number of points and A has at least one curse, but nothing more (that is, A might have more than 1 curse and C might have any number of curses).

Do prizes count as kingdom cards? I know they are not in the Supply.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:11:40 pm by mischiefmaker »

mischiefmaker

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:43:47 pm »

Revised attempt at a solution, which assumes prizes are not kingdom cards:

Acceptable trashers: Chapel/remodel/trading post/upgrade/salvager/apprentice/bishop/expand/forge/remake.

Adam: Moat, Young Witch, one of the acceptable trashers
Berta: Throne Room, Ambassador, Tournament.
Charlie: Lighthouse, Haven/Native Village, Peddler, Ghost Ship, a different acceptable trasher.

1. Adam opens Young Witch/Moat or Young Witch/Chapel, and draws both terminals in hand 3.
2. There is only one $3 (Ambassador) and no $6, so Berta bought Ambassador. On Charlie's turn, he played any card, making Peddler cost the same as Gold.
3. Charlie had played Haven or Native Village on a previous turn.
4. After Adam's draw, Charlie plays Ghost Ship, causing Adam to put two cards back on his deck. Adam then plays Young Witch to draw and discard both of them.
5. Berta draws Trusty Steed, Throne Room, Tournament, Ambassador, Silver. All the Estates are gone. She then plays:
 - Trusty Steed for 2 cards and 2 actions, drawing 2 provinces.
 - Throne Room to play Tournament, discarding a province, gaining and drawing Followers.
 - TR'd Tournament, discarding a province, gaining and drawing Princess.
 - Followers, drawing 2 copper, gaining nothing (estates are gone). Adam reveals Moat and Charlie has a Lighthouse in play.
 - Ambassador 2 copper, returning them to the supply.
 - Princess, making the most expensive card played this turn cost $2. She has $2 from the Tournaments and Silver, plus a buy from the Princess, and so can buy 2 Throne Rooms or Tournaments.
9/10. Adam has trashed all of his Estates, and has any victory card plus a curse, which he got from Berta Ambassador'ing a curse to him. Charlie has the same, leaving them tied. Berta has the aforementioned 2 provinces, plus the remaining 18 curses, for a score of -6.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »

If the assumption I made in the previous post is incorrect, I submit the following, based on ghostofmars' partial solution:

Adam: Moat/Lighthouse, Young Witch, Embargo/Bishop.
Berta: Tactician, Throne Room, Ambassador.
Charlie: Moat/Lighthouse, Haven/Native Village, Peddler, Ghost Ship, Embargo/Bishop.

Clues are satisfied as above, except:

1. Adam opens with two terminals (if he bought Lighthouse).
5. Berta plays Tactician on her previous turn, drawing Throne Room, Ambassador, 4 Copper, and 4 Gold.
 - She plays Throne Room on her Ambassador, returning 4 copper to the supply; Adam and Charlie are protected by Moat/Lighthouse.
 - She buys 2 gold, gaining 2 curses from a previously played Embargo.
9/10. Berta never bought any VP; her score is 3. Whichever player (let's say it's Adam) has the Bishop played it three times, trashing his three Estates and gaining 6 VP; the other player trashed his three Estates also. Adam has six curses plus any victory card; Charlie has the same victory card (or they have different ones and the appropriate number of curses to balance it out). This is possible since either player can have an arbitrary number of curses via buying Embargo'd cards or from Berta's Ambassador.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +71
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 03:35:54 am »

If the assumption I made in the previous post is incorrect, I submit the following, based on ghostofmars' partial solution:

5. Berta plays Tactician on her previous turn, drawing Throne Room, Ambassador, 4 Copper, and 4 Gold.
 - She plays Throne Room on her Ambassador, returning 4 copper to the supply; Adam and Charlie are protected by Moat/Lighthouse.

Prizes are kingdom cards.

Your solution has does not satisfy
5.   Another remarkable turn is executed by Berta. At the start of the clean-up phase of that turn, there are only 3 kingdoms cards, all of which are different, and no basic cards in her play area. [...]

I think, I found a loophole in the puzzle:
If B played a Quarry in turn 3, the prize of Black Market and Masquerade drops to 1, so that we can produce any possible solution, as long as there is only 1 action card which costs 2,5,6,8 in the beginning. The rest of the necessary cards are gained by Black Market and then using Masquerade to pass the card to the appropriate player.

mischiefmaker

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:55:09 pm »

Your solution has does not satisfy
5.   Another remarkable turn is executed by Berta. At the start of the clean-up phase of that turn, there are only 3 kingdoms cards, all of which are different, and no basic cards in her play area. [...]

The original one, sure. The second solution I submitted, the one you quoted above, does though, right? Either way, nice catch on the loophole!

It'd be nice if watno would tell us his intended solution.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.