Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Ghost Town: +2 action card that can be set aside.  (Read 19733 times)

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Town: +2 action card that can be set aside.
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 08:39:40 pm »
+2

I can't wait to play with this one
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:03:24 pm by pokeman7452 »

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 10:48:38 pm »

I can't wait to play with this one

Ahhh! That looks awesome!

One question. As worded, is the card still a reaction card? Or is it just a regular action card with special instructions? I guess it "reacts" to you drawing a card...

EDIT: Added this picture to the OP!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 10:57:32 pm by inverseParanoid »

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 10:59:05 pm »

Yeah, I figured the reaction is when you draw the card. I can make it an action if you want.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 11:00:41 pm »

It's still a reaction.  Tunnel is a card that reacts to being discarded.  This is a card that reacts to being drawn.  If the text space allows it, you should probably say "reveal and set aside" instead of just "set aside".

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »

It's still a reaction.  Tunnel is a card that reacts to being discarded.  This is a card that reacts to being drawn.  If the text space allows it, you should probably say "reveal and set aside" instead of just "set aside".

Oooo, thanks for that clarification eHalcyon!

Pokemon7452: If you feel like changing the picture to "reveal and set aside" it'd be much appreciated!

EDIT: Nevermind. I think it's fine as is unless someone else can raise a good reason to add the "reveal and" part.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:14:48 pm by inverseParanoid »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 11:09:17 pm »

Pokemon7452: If you feel like changing the picture to "reveal and set aside" it'd be much appreciated!

Err, actually, I take that back.  Horse Traders just says "set aside", so I guess the "reveal" is implied.  My bad!

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 11:12:18 pm »

Err, actually, I take that back.  Horse Traders just says "set aside", so I guess the "reveal" is implied.  My bad!

But you don't set aside cards from Horse Traders until you actually play them. With this card you set it aside without playing it, so the "reveal" language does help I think.

EDIT: Oh, I see. It doesn't say "reveal and set aside" in its REACTION description. I mixed up discard (its play function) with set aside (its reaction function).

Thanar

• Bishop
  • Respect: +138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 03:11:24 pm »
+1

I laughed out loud when I saw Pokeman's card image... Okay, I admit it. In my spare time, I've been searching through various photo databases for good images of ghost towns.

Note: Some look better in the hi-res version, and some might need to have the contrast/saturation tweaked to make them pop a bit more.

Ghost town - A town permanently abandoned by its inhabitants.

Arizona, Apache Trail 020 Goldfield. Photo by Allie Caufield
Hi-res version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wm_archiv/5802961077/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Bodie Sagebrush - One of the outbuildings in Bodie California. Photo by Jon Sullivan.
Hi-res version: http://pdphoto.org/jons/pictures4/bodie_14_bg_090604.jpg

Belchite. Town in Aragon, Spain - Destroyed during the Spanish Civil War (1937). Photo by ecelan
Hi-res version: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Belchite_-_Vista_general01.JPG

The ghost village of Balestrino, Liguria, Italy. Photo by Davide Papalini
Hi-res version: http://i35.tinypic.com/307lnck.jpg

Pentedattilo, a little ghost village, Calabria.
Hi-res version: http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6530/pentedattilo.jpg

Houses at ghost town of Kayaköy on Turkish coast. Photo by becotopia
Hi-res version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/becotopia/6704351843/sizes/l/in/photostream/

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:34:12 pm by Thanar »

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 04:36:22 pm »

Thanks Thanar!

I actually googled your name because I had no idea what the text in the picture meant, and thought Thanar might have been some fancy word for image or fan art.

I guess I was thinking of something more old and wooden. Like an abandoned town from the American Old West. Or really, anything with just a barren, dessert background that reinforces the idea of "deserted." This image here looks exceptionally good to me, but it's "All Rights Reserved."

Or something like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:RobsartHospital.jpg

I'm definitely flexible around what the final image will look like though, so please feel free to continue offering suggestions for how it should look and why. While I have a decent aesthetic eye, it's probably not nearly as well honed as the great Thanar's :)

A Note on Wood vs. Stone
When I see an abandoned stone city, I imagine people having lived there for hundreds of years, only finally abandoning the place they called home as the culture that kept them there reaches extinction. Abandoned wooden structures, on the other hand, have a fleeting feel to them. They may have sprung up overnight in response to a gold sighting that never panned out, or as an outpost along a popular trail that was later supplanted by more modern means of travel. It's this transitory nature that Ghost Town seems to embody most. The moment you draw it, it's out of your hand. The moment it's back in your hand, it's already in play.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 04:44:08 pm by inverseParanoid »

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 04:43:15 pm »

Golem + Ghost Town

Golem: Reveal cards from your deck until you reveal 2 Action cards other than Golem Cards. Discard the other cards, then play the Action cards in either order.

With that above description of Golem, it sounds like you wouldn't be able to set Ghost Town aside when Golem triggers it, because you never technically drew it and Golem explicitly instructs you to play it.

Am I correct about this interpretation?

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »

inverseParanoid,

I understand what you mean when you make the distinction between old wood and old stone.

The term "ghost town" in English came from the late 1800s and definitely evokes the old wood buildings of abandoned midwestern towns (often connected with mining operations). So wood is the way to go if you want to evoke that. I'll post some more of those that I came across.

Most dominion cards are based on quasi-medieval themes, so that's why I included some European images, which are generally made of stone. These might be better termed ghost villages (the term that seems to be used for them online).

P.S. The "Thanar needed" is an inside joke based on several other variant card threads where I've hunted down images and posted them. I think it's great to have multiple suggestions, and good to have your input on what you're looking for in an image.

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2012, 04:56:44 pm »

Most dominion cards are based on quasi-medieval themes, so that's why I included some European images, which are generally made of stone. These might be better termed ghost villages (the term that seems to be used for them online).

Ah, I didn't even think about keeping with the quasi-medieval theme. I scanned the card list and found that the only other card that seems to not fit the medieval time period is fool's gold. Which oddly enough was also a term coined in the late 1800s (often connect with mining operations). :)

So we do have precedent to go with a more modern look, unless we find an exceptionally good medieval themed pic.

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2012, 05:23:28 pm »

I did a bit more searching for usable images (i.e. Creative Commons license that allows derivative works with attribution) from the ghost town in Bodie, CA (one of the most iconic in the U.S.) and came up with these possibilities:

Bodie, California. Photo by Wolfgang Staudt
Hi-res version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgangstaudt/2907630977/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Wheaton & Hollis Hotel; Bodie State Historic Park. Photo by Larry Myhre
Hi-res version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrymyhre/5184747531/sizes/o/in/photostream/

Town House Bodie. Photo by Michael Feist
Hi-res version: http://www.flickr.com/photos/catchthefuture/1666752238/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Others to consider:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/werkmens/3798259199/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raindog/2809402786/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcookfisher/2481964464/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notthisorthat/2568660680/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/larrymyhre/6156993488/
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:49:45 pm by Thanar »

jider

• Swindler
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2012, 05:49:34 pm »

So you could potentially add this card to your hand AFTER you play a tactician, play it, draw a lab and then play another tactician if you draw it with the lab? 

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2012, 12:12:51 am »

So you could potentially add this card to your hand AFTER you play a tactician, play it, draw a lab and then play another tactician if you draw it with the lab?

This is correct, though it's not as easy as it may seem to play two tacts in a single turn. You'd probably need a strong card drawing engine and some luck to find another tact organically (as you mentioned in your example). Or you'd just need to draw two out into your hand and then top deck one with mandarin or courtyard. But even that's tough because you'd have to draw enough cards to expose both tacts. So you'd need a thin deck or some added drawing power at a minimum.

Or if you're planning to play two tacts per turn operation would require 4 tacticians and at least one ghost town and at least one deck topper (courtyard/mandarin). So for that setup to be profitable, you'd need to have vault, secret chamber, or a lot of action +coin cards, since you'd be discarding your whole deck with the tacts, anyway.

So while ghost town could make for a very powerful engine, it would take a lot of extra setting up than your standard single tact or double tact strategies. I would think that the most viable way it'd play out is as a hybrid of sorts, where you buy two or three tacts and plan to usually only play one per turn, but occasionally find a way to get a second.

Either way, as rinkworks said, it's probably more fun to allow this rare interaction than it is to write difficult language to try to make it impossible. The bottom line is that Ghost Town adds for a lot of interesting possibilities, and things to take into account that will keep us on our toes every time it comes up.

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2012, 12:16:33 am »

I did a bit more searching for usable images (i.e. Creative Commons license that allows derivative works with attribution) from the ghost town in Bodie, CA (one of the most iconic in the U.S.) and came up with these possibilities:

I think I like this one the best out of that bunch: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcookfisher/2481964464/

Maybe we could look for an animated version of a ghost town. Something with translucent buildings could look pretty cool. And it might be able to bridge the gap between medieval and old west.

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2012, 01:55:10 am »

I'll add that image and fix the font soon, I have been pretty busy recently. Thanar and I have been a card making duo as of late. He provides the excellent images, I make the card. I was hoping that would give him a laugh.
Also, depending on how you define "any time" you could potentially TR/KC a Tactician and restoring a Ghost Town to your hand between each play to double/triple the Tactician. Still, there are many OP combos in Dominion, some more powerful than this.

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2012, 01:24:04 pm »

Also, depending on how you define "any time" you could potentially TR/KC a Tactician and restoring a Ghost Town to your hand between each play to double/triple the Tactician. Still, there are many OP combos in Dominion, some more powerful than this.

Wow, that is kind of OP. I guess you have to have the ghost towns already drawn and set aside to pull this off. Although KC + tact + ghost town games would be pretty crazy. 2 Tacts, a few ghost towns, and a few KCs would make it pretty easy to draw at least 20 cards every turn.

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 01:43:44 pm »

I'll add that image and fix the font soon, I have been pretty busy recently. Thanar and I have been a card making duo as of late. He provides the excellent images, I make the card. I was hoping that would give him a laugh.

If I had to pick an image to go with right now, this one would be my vote.

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »
+1

Personally, I would have gone for one with multiple buildings, but it's your card, your call. Fonts are fixed up. I could not find photo credit for this picture, just a wikipedia username. If you ever do want a different photo, let me know, they are pretty easy to swap out.

Now that the card is complete, I have updated my post to include the hi-res card (click the image.) You may want update your first post with this.

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 08:42:12 pm »
+1

It is really motivating to have such quick and productive collaboration on this forum: from card idea, to critiquing, to wording, to playtesting, to searching for possible images, to a final card image design in a matter of days. The result: an interesting and good-looking Ghost Town card.

I will be printing out this and many other cards that have been made in the past week and adding them to my ever-heavier variant card Dominion box for play during my upcoming vacation.

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2012, 04:35:11 pm »

Personally, I would have gone for one with multiple buildings, but it's your card, your call. Fonts are fixed up. I could not find photo credit for this picture, just a wikipedia username. If you ever do want a different photo, let me know, they are pretty easy to swap out.

If you want to make a mock up of the multiple building one for us to see, maybe it will look much better in context. I'm definitely open to new picture ideas, I just loved the beat up nature of the building currently in use. And I've always envisioned it as being able to see the ghost town from a distance.

Now that the card is complete, I have updated my post to include the hi-res card (click the image.) You may want update your first post with this.
Done. Thanks!

EDIT: If you feel inspired, do you think you could center the image so that there's an equal amount of "white space" (i.e. open sky) on both sides? No big deal either way. And thanks for all your work!

inverseParanoid

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
    • JoshuaBillings.com
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2012, 04:37:42 pm »

It is really motivating to have such quick and productive collaboration on this forum: from card idea, to critiquing, to wording, to playtesting, to searching for possible images, to a final card image design in a matter of days. The result: an interesting and good-looking Ghost Town card.
It was great working with you!

I will be printing out this and many other cards that have been made in the past week and adding them to my ever-heavier variant card Dominion box for play during my upcoming vacation.
Cool, let us know how it goes!

pokeman7452

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2012, 11:29:23 pm »

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 12:24:35 am by pokeman7452 »

Thanar

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 01:47:58 am »

Thanks for the updates, Pokeman (I haven't printed mine out just yet).

A couple remaining issues:
1) This last card image for Ghost Town doesn't have a link to a hi-res version.
2) The text on Almoner is still a bit too small.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 21 queries.