Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Haven Puzzle  (Read 3619 times)

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Haven Puzzle
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:13:03 pm »

Suppose the Haven card were rewritten as follows:

+1 Card, +1 Action.  Place one card from your hand on top of your deck.  At the start of your next turn, +1 Card.

Most of the time, this rewritten Haven will have the same effect.  One obvious difference is when you play Haven, put a card back, and then subsequently play a card that draws from the deck in one way (e.g., Smithy) or another (e.g., Loan).  Then you'd draw the card you put back, instead of it remaining "set aside" as it would be with the way Haven is supposed to work.

But suppose that after you play this revised Haven, no further cards are drawn from your deck for the remainder of your turn.

How many different circumstances can you think of where the course of the game might still be changed by this revised Haven in a solitaire game?  (I can only think of one, but there may well be others.)

As a bonus question, answer the same question for a non-solitaire game.

Edit: Don't read further if you want to solve this on your own.  Solutions in replies may appear in plain text.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 06:41:21 pm by rinkworks »

david707

• Baron
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
Re: Haven Puzzle
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:29:15 pm »

Multi-player their are a large number of attacks where it'd matter.

Single player it'd matter since the card is in your deck instead of set aside. This could change the value of Philosopher's Stone.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +938
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »

Spoiler tags?

Multi-player their are a large number of attacks where it'd matter.

Yes and no.  Suppose you got hit by Jester.  The top card in your deck goes to the discard pile.  Revised Haven then draws a different card in your hand on your second turn.  So yes, it does change what cards you have in your hand and is a correct answer to the question as written.  But the card you "set aside" remains in your hand regardless, and the other cards in your deck are all unknowns insofar as the hypothetical situation is concerned.  So I guess I'm looking for something more interesting and specific.

Single player it'd matter since the card is in your deck instead of set aside. This could change the value of Philosopher's Stone.

That's the answer I had.  Good work!

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:08:34 pm »

Yes and no.
Yes and yes! Many attacks (and/or reactions) cause at least one card to be revealed from your deck. If there's an extra card on your deck, that may affect whether these attacks and other effects cause a shuffle.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:11:18 pm »

Also, I'm assuming that you mean nothing at all affects your draw pile at all between playing this revised Haven and the beginning of your cleanup phase. So discarding it with Chancellor, or discarding some of it with Loan or Venture, doesn't count.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:34:48 pm »

I think a number of actions will reveal cards from the top of the deck and then add some of them to your hand and discard or use others. I'd assume this counts as drawing. You can do a variety of other things that change the next turn though.

Place enough cards on top of your deck using a royal seal or watchtower to change your draw.
Use a chancellor to put your deck into the discard pile.
Use a navigator/scout/apothecary to re-order the haven card to the 4th card in deck then play an outpost.
Use a lookout to discard or trash the haven card.
Put gold on your deck with multiple treasure maps.
Put tournament prizes on top of your deck from multiple tournaments.
Various combinations of the above.

RobF

• Steward
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:08:15 pm »

Harvest, played after the Haven.

If the new Haven isn't a duration, this will have short term effects on deck size and reshuffles (i.e. near the  bottom of your deck you could play the new Haven and then draw it again next hand).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 20 queries.