Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Base Cards Promo Card?  (Read 13538 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
Base Cards Promo Card?
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:36 pm »
+2

So, at Origins, I decided to pick up the Base Set cards. After all, my cards are getting pretty worn, and replacing them with new artwork is shiny.

For buying the cards, I received a special promo card. I have no idea what to do with it.

On the front(?) side, it says,

PLAY THE OFFICIAL VERSION OF DOMINION ONLINE!
JOIN YOUR FRIENDS FOR A GAME OR PLAY AGAINST THE COMPUTER
WWW.PLAYDOMINION.COM/BASE

There are instructions to flip the card. On the back(?) of the card, there is an illustration to hold the card on one end and then another illustration with a caption instructing you to

PUT CARD FLAT ON DISPLAY AND MOVE SLOWLY

The card is too opaque to see through, so I'm not really sure what dragging it across the display will do. The illustration seems to imply that it goes over a smart phone.

I wondered if there was an embedded bar or QR code. My barcode scanner didn't pick up anything.

I tried going to the website to see if there is a capture applet (I don't know if there is such a thing), but the website doesn't even exist.

So, what do I do with this card? Anyone got an idea?
A man has no signature

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Base Cards Promo Card?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »

The app isn't online yet, right?  I would think it won't do anything until then.  I'll try it when I get my Base Cards mid-June.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »

The app isn't online yet, right?  I would think it won't do anything until then.  I'll try it when I get my Base Cards mid-June.

I got the impression that the card was of limited quantity. I'm sure it'll be available at GenCon. To clarify, this card was not included in the box.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:30 pm »
+1

Do you have a picture of the card?

Insomniac

• Jester
  • Respect: +392
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:30 pm »

I got the impression that the card was of limited quantity. I'm sure it'll be available at GenCon. To clarify, this card was not included in the box.

It was mentioned on BGG that they were handing them out because the ones at gencon didnt have them in the box, it is the bonus that was being added and is supposed to be in the retail versions
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 02:55:38 pm »
+1

Do you have a picture of the card?

I went and took pictures of the card.

Still not really sure what is supposed to be accomplished by sliding the card across the display of the phone.

Sorry for the quality of the photos. I apparently have shaky hands.
A man has no signature

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 03:35:23 pm »
+8

It's just to make you look like an idiot wiping a card on your phone thinking something will happen.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
+2

Pretty sure itll give you access to the base card images while playing online.

If you look at the online implementation they show the default copper etc. The card is titled "Base Cards" and the app will probably have some way of recognizing that image as unlocking the "Base Cards" Image art for you

Thats my 2 cents
"It is one of [Insomniacs] badges of pride that he will bus anyone, at any time, and he has done it over and over on day 1. I am completely serious, it is like the biggest part of his meta." - Dsell

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:09:51 pm »

That seems like a great interpretation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:17:19 pm »

If you look at the online implementation they show the default copper etc. The card is titled "Base Cards" and the app will probably have some way of recognizing that image as unlocking the "Base Cards" Image art for you

Thats my 2 cents

But moving it across the screen wouldn't do anything at all... you would have to move it across the camera, assuming you have one on whatever screen you are using.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:22 pm »

Thats my 2 cents

But moving it across the screen wouldn't do anything at all... you would have to move it across the camera, assuming you have one on whatever screen you are using.

Thats true, but how many smart phones dont have a front facing camera now?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »

Mine doesn't, and it's just over a year old.

But it doesn't say to swipe it across the camera. It says to swipe it across the display which could only work if the display were somehow two-way.

And, well, even swiping it across the camera does nothing because the camera has to be engaged (and I'm grateful for that!).

I'm guessing that there may be more instructions at the website when it's available.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 04:38:55 pm »

Thats my 2 cents

If you're using a smart phone; sure. But you could be using an iPad (first gen doesn't have a camera) or an iPod touch (only the newest has a camera) or just a regular desktop or laptop computer. Either way, I wish the card had said "hold this up to your smartphone's camera or a webcam to use."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 04:42:51 pm »
+1

What you don't realize is that the display will release a special kind of light, which will make the hidden ink on the card visible, which will reveal the code you need to type in to get your new special extra features.

Okay, now be honest, how many of you actually bought that? ::)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:41:15 pm »

I think I would have gotten more use out of Ruins and Shelters, even without the cards that require them yet.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 08:09:15 pm »

I think I would have gotten more use out of Ruins and Shelters, even without the cards that require them yet.

I am optimistic that Shelters and Ruins will have art already.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 08:33:50 pm »

I am optimistic that Shelters and Ruins will have art already.

I wonder if editions of the Base Cards set released after Dark Ages will contain them with special art...  I mean, they are "basic" cards, and will have just as much right as Potions, Platinums and Colonies to be in such a set.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 09:21:49 am »

At Origins, the retailer Troll & Toad was advertising these with purchase of the base cards box. They said that there were a very limited number in existence and that they had them all--this statement seemed like a falsehood as the salesman was saying it, but I have no evidence either way. A card that's included in the later half of the print run seems much more likely.

I asked the developers who were demoing the game at Rio Grande's area, but the one I caught didn't know what the promo would do when activated. Although activating the fancy art seems like an eminently reasonable guess.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:17 am »

At Origins, the retailer Troll & Toad was advertising these with purchase of the base cards box. They said that there were a very limited number in existence and that they had them all--this statement seemed like a falsehood as the salesman was saying it, but I have no evidence either way. A card that's included in the later half of the print run seems much more likely.

I really like Troll and Toad, so I am really hoping that this was just a misunderstanding on his part and not a lie. I was able to get my card from the Rio Grande booth. Though, I didn't know that T&T was selling the Base Cards too. It may be that they were the only game shop that carried them at Origins. I can believe that.

I bought my cards Thursday or Friday (the days just kind of bleed together), so it was fairly early in the con. The guy at Rio Grande said that the boss (I presume Jay) had just dropped off the promo cards and that they were limited. This may also be a misunderstanding.

I was all excited about getting a rare card, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Good thing I was going to buy the cards anyway. I could have waited until after Origins, but it didn't push my luggage over the limit (the Alhambra Big Box was pushing it, though).

I'm not disappointed…just not as excited as I could be.
A man has no signature

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:47 am »

I really like Troll and Toad, so I am really hoping that this was just a misunderstanding on his part and not a lie. I was able to get my card from the Rio Grande booth. Though, I didn't know that T&T was selling the Base Cards too. It may be that they were the only game shop that carried them at Origins. I can believe that.

I bought my cards Thursday or Friday (the days just kind of bleed together), so it was fairly early in the con. The guy at Rio Grande said that the boss (I presume Jay) had just dropped off the promo cards and that they were limited. This may also be a misunderstanding.

I was all excited about getting a rare card, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Good thing I was going to buy the cards anyway. I could have waited until after Origins, but it didn't push my luggage over the limit (the Alhambra Big Box was pushing it, though).

I'm not disappointed…just not as excited as I could be.

Let me know if the expansions are worth it for Alhambra I have the base set didn't know if the expansions would be worth it. Also I could be wrong about the card being limited print run but my information is coming from here

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/784112/dominion-base-cards/page/1

The first post is from Jay

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:29 am »

Let me know if the expansions are worth it for Alhambra I have the base set didn't know if the expansions would be worth it. Also I could be wrong about the card being limited print run but my information is coming from here

BGG is blocked where I am (generic forums are not). Would it be an imposition if I asked you to post the relevant quote?

The promo card must have been the item that was delaying the release of the box. I opened up my Base Cards and found just that. There were no extra cards in there.

I've only played the base game of Alhambra. I am intrigued by the expansions. I bought the big box because RGG was selling it for $35. Definitely some good deals at the RGG booth (on Sunday, they knocked Dominion boxes down to very tasty levels).

Fun aside: The RGG booth only took cash. I paid for my Alhambra big box and walked out with it. No sack for such a large product. We stopped by Queen's Games to look at the layout for Kingdom Builder (no demo at the time). After oohing and aahing over it, we walked on by. A woman from Queen's Games followed us and asked us if we wanted to pay for that. I had to explain that we bought Alhambra from RGG. It was then that I realized Alhambra is not actually a RGG product. She was skeptical at first, but I guess she could tell I was telling the truth. Still, that could have been awkward, especially since I didn't even worry about getting a receipt from RGG.
A man has no signature

Mister Alex

• Scout
  • Respect: +116
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 11:42:36 am »
+3

BGG is blocked where I am (generic forums are not). Would it be an imposition if I asked you to post the relevant quote?

The promo card must have been the item that was delaying the release of the box. I opened up my Base Cards and found just that. There were no extra cards in there.

I've only played the base game of Alhambra. I am intrigued by the expansions. I bought the big box because RGG was selling it for $35. Definitely some good deals at the RGG booth (on Sunday, they knocked Dominion boxes down to very tasty levels).

Fun aside: The RGG booth only took cash. I paid for my Alhambra big box and walked out with it. No sack for such a large product. We stopped by Queen's Games to look at the layout for Kingdom Builder (no demo at the time). After oohing and aahing over it, we walked on by. A woman from Queen's Games followed us and asked us if we wanted to pay for that. I had to explain that we bought Alhambra from RGG. It was then that I realized Alhambra is not actually a RGG product. She was skeptical at first, but I guess she could tell I was telling the truth. Still, that could have been awkward, especially since I didn't even worry about getting a receipt from RGG.

Guess she thought your RGG was actually IGG.   :o

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 12:26:11 pm »

So, for those of you who didn't go to Origins, I have a question.

Are any of the physical stores in your area getting any copies of the Base Cards? The ones here in Minneapolis/St. Paul either have no idea when it's coming out or think it's only going to be available online.

Insomniac

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

Not a problem heres the quote
Quote from: Jay
As I did not see an entry yet for this expansion, I decided to post this here. We have decided to postpone the release of the Dominion: Base Card item for 3-4 weeks in order to add something to the box that we hope everyone will find useful. We will post more information about this when we are closer to releasing the game. Thanks for your understanding.

Jay

Rhombus

• Bishop
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
+1

So, for those of you who didn't go to Origins, I have a question.

Are any of the physical stores in your area getting any copies of the Base Cards? The ones here in Minneapolis/St. Paul either have no idea when it's coming out or think it's only going to be available online.

We're going to carry Base Cards here in NH and MA.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.