Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Questions on Mining Village  (Read 5090 times)

Powerman

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Questions on Mining Village
« on: June 04, 2012, 12:46:01 am »

This card has really bothered me as of late.  Looking at CouncilRoom, I see that it is my third worst card by "Effect with" as well as one of my worst "Win Rate with" cards.  I buy it a lot less than the overall Iso population.  So that leads me to my questions...

1)  When should this be purchased over others (specifically Farming/ Worker's)?  I tend to prefer these two a lot more than MV, but many judge the cards to be similar or MV to be stronger.  Why is this?  Is the 1 time effect really worth more than the cycling/buy/etc. from the other villages?

2)  When should this be trashed?  Obviously it has the flexibility that it can be trashed when you need $2 extra and you can judge then, but... the problem to me seems that unless you are going to end the game, this will cripple your (at least if you have an engine) deck.  Now, I realize it has usefulness outside of engines, but it seems that as a Village it is situational.

3)  Is this really strong enough to buy without terminal actions?  I tend to ignore villages without draw cards, but is this an exception?  I try and avoid being the village idiot  :o .

Sorry if these questions have already been asked and answered, but searching I could not find good answers.  I'd really like to improve on this card as it certainly should not be my third worst card.  Thanks!
A man on a mission.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on Mining Village
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:08 am »

Late game its amazing. If you know you're going to have 1-2 more shuffles at most and also don't want to buy estates/duchies for whatever reason, its a far better option than a silver.

Early game if you need to launch quickly into the 6$ range (read: Goons, or hoard with heavy support) its also a very viable option.

In engines it often can still be comparable to workers village or FV because you can trash them all to give your last turn or two a major shot in the arm.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 01:02:44 am »

If you are using it as a Village--as an extra source of actions--you aren't getting great use out of it. Mining Village shines as an opening with Silver or a Silver-equivalent terminal as a quick way to slingshot up to $6 or even $7. If you really want to hit that price range quickly (and Gold is always available, so very often, you do), that can be a strong opening. Or maybe you want an immediate Forge, or Goons, or Hoard.

If you can gain them with Ironworks, or something, it's nice to be able to trash them late-game for money and a card and actions.

But used simply as a Village, it's not a very good one. It doesn't have the benefits of Farming or Workers and is more expensive than Vanilla or Fishing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:11:29 am »

so, if you would buy a village for 4, obviously buy a mining village. It's a nice plus. As O mentioned its stellar as a late game cash boost when you won't see it again. And in general, as an opening, It's overrated, don't do it unless an early 6 would be REALLY helpful.

Compared to farming village, the question becomes is the extra cycling worth an extra 2$, with any form of estate trashing (which you likely have if you are buying a village) it's rather clearly not. Late game, the vp avoidance  helps but 2$ helps much, much more. Workers village is worthwhile if you don't have +buy and want it, but, often you don't need that much +buy in any case (in bridge games, where you really want +buy, +2$ becomes super useful as well, in a mega-turn, I'd probably go with mining village). With walled village, well if you really want a torturer hit.../aren't really building an engine but really don't want collision I'd prefer it. Trash it if it leads you to province, or, late game, if it will help you. As a general rule saving it till late is the right strategy unless you have a good opening.   

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:29 am »

Consider a simple deck opening with a trading post where you're going to buy labs to cycle the trading post many times, gaining a lot of silver. In this deck buying more silver is counter productive since you just cycle slower, trash less, and gain less silver. Buying mining villages as a floating asset becomes a good idea since they cycle in your deck until you can cash them for green cards. This shows the type of deck where a fast card with some value is better than a slow card. If you can make use of the extra actions as well then the mining village becomes excellent.

Is this really strong enough to buy without terminal actions?  I tend to ignore villages without draw cards, but is this an exception?

The mining village is actually slightly weaker when played with drawing cards. This is because you play the village before the drawing card, so you get the decision to trash before you see value of the cards drawn.

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:51:27 am »

So basically this should be looked at as more of a "Cantrip with a bonus" than as a village?
A man on a mission.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:14:35 am »
+1

So basically this should be looked at as more of a "Cantrip with a bonus" than as a village?

Well... sometimes you also just need a 4$ Village.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 10:39:45 am »

I wouldn't say so.
When you would build an engine with Village, you can also build it with Mining Village. It's a little bit more expensive, but often $3 to $4 is not a big difference. And the bonus on Mining Village is not a small one, if you can expect to get +$10 or more in your last turn (or the turn it explodes) just from trashing your Villages, this might be a good finish for an engine, you can easily grab an extra Province or two Duchies with it. You should have the buys to spend all the money, but without them you probably should not have built any engine.
It's just not a bonus that helps you building your deck (in this case), but an investment into one large turn. But often, when you built engines, this one large turn is exactly what you want and need.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »
+1

Easy ways to win more with mining village:

1. If you're not sure if you should buy it or not, buy it.

2. If you're not sure if you should trash it or not, trash it.

olneyce

• 2011 DS Champion
  • Respect: +210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:34:06 pm »
+1

Well, think about it this way: it costs $1 more than a regular Village, but gives you $2 more at a time that it's most likely to be beneficial.  If you think you have a good chance of trashing these in a useful way at the end of the game, it's certainly more valuable than a vanilla Village.

If, however, you anticipate not getting a mega-turn or something - or you think the end-game will be less obvious - you may end up over-spending at the beginning and then never recuperating the cost.

If Mining Village is the only village, I will happily treat it as a simple village and not worry about trashing it until the very very end..  But it's almost always the case that once the end-game starts in you actually need less villages and the $2 bonus can be very helpful.  So in general, I'd say err on the side of trashing more.

Powerman

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:58:29 pm »

Is the potential for the +$2 enough to justify buying this over another village if both are available though?  I don't have any game reports in mind, but if Worker's and MV are both available, should you try and get only 1or2 Worker's for the plus buy and then MV's? 
A man on a mission.

Jfrisch

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 05:22:15 pm »

I would think so. if you are building a big engine, you only want so many buys. Now, obviously buy the workers villages first... but yeah, workers benefit doesn't stack that well. (+5 buys is pretty silly most of the time)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 06:23:17 pm »
+1

Is the potential for the +$2 enough to justify buying this over another village if both are available though?

Depends on the kingdom.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 06:28:36 pm »
+13

Is the potential for the +$2 enough to justify buying this over another village if both are available though?

Depends on the kingdom.

I have sometimes considered replacing all of ds.com with a blank page that says just this.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:59 pm »
+4

Depends on the kingdom.

I have sometimes considered replacing all of ds.com with a blank page that says just this.
April 1, 2013.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.